Notices

Tapering vs. Cold Turkey?

Old 08-11-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Semi-Professional Philosopher

Tapering vs. Cold Turkey?

Thoughts on this? I've done both already. Seems like tapering would be the most medically sound.

I welcome feedback!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I asked my alcohol councillor about this when I was drinking 30 units a day. He recommended tapering down to 10 units a day (1 bottle of wine) over a couple of weeks. Once you get there he said it is safe to quit completely.

Having said that, this time I did it a bit quicker than that as I was truly sick of drinking. Thankfully no major withdrawals.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I think the best thing to do is honestly talk to your Dr about your desire to quit drinking. He/she can help with that. Personally, tapering is too hard and frustrating for me. After a couple of days I'd say screw it and start drinking a lot again.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Tapering will never work for an alcoholic it may work for someone with a drink problem ?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd also recommend asking a doctor. Each subsequent detox can get progressively worse ( aka "Kindling" ) and it's better to be safe than sorry. I've ended up in the ER trying to go cold turkey on my own so I learned my lesson.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Seeing a Doctor is a third, and best, option.

D
Old 08-11-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Che

You can't play with this. Your body and brain compensate for the drugs you put in them. It takes time for it to register that the drugs are no longer coming, and in that time it is still trying to compensate for the amount you were putting into it. If the amount is too disparate, you can die.

If you've having more than 3 drinks a day for more than a week, you should ween. I made those numbers up because they seem conservative. Ask a doctor for real advice
Old 08-11-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Tapering is impossible for the real alcoholic because we lose control after taking the first drink. It is a defining feature of the type of alcoholic AA is able to help.

However in the big book it talks about using alcohol to assist in detox. I have worked with this, when medical detox was not available. But the idea is jus a few sips here and there in the first couple of days of detox. Not really tapering over a period, and not particularly comfortable either.

That us how they used to help newcomers when there was no hospitalisation possible.

In my home country there is no quick admission for detox. The alcohols and drug service assess you and tell you to keep drinking for another six weeks until a bed becomnes available. Covers their ass I suppose, but there are some alcoholics who cannot wait that long.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Seek Dr advice. Look at harm reduction plans. Get as much outside help as possible. I've detoxed so many times in different ways all possible I think, and every time I relapse tapering becomes almost impossible.
Make a plan and try every Avenue possible. There is no shame in asking for help.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get really edgy when I hear people talk about tapering. I think it is the AV playing games, and ultimately most people are unlikely to quit for good. If you can handle alcohol in a healthy fashion, you wouldn't be trying to taper and cut down. That's what alcoholics do before they admit they simply cannot drink like normal people.

Playing with fire, here.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I may have used the wrong term. What I did was drink less and less over a 5 day period and then stopped. Basically allowed my system to detox slowly and avoid the symptoms I suffered from before (insomnia!).

I was averaging half a bottle of bourbon (or more) a night. Weekends I could do nearly a fifth a day. It was that bad.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

If you're truly an alcoholic, I'd highly recommend seeing a doctor. The last few times I attempted tapering, I thought I was literally gonna go out of my mind. If it wasn't the effects of withdrawal from not getting my usual "dosage," it was the stress of having to wait longer and longer periods of time between drinks, and trying to find the strength to be satisfied with just one!

For an alcoholic, it's much easier (and safer) to get medical assistance. Alcohol withdrawal can be deadly. I wouldn't consider cold turkey at all. Been there, done that, too many times. Would never wanna repeat it.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I was just reading about kindling. That would explain some things to me! Wow, scary stuff!