Notices

SMART and AA

Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART and AA

I've never attended meetings for either of these recovery groups and I'm wondering what to expect as I will be attending both in the next couple of days.
Can anyone share their experiences?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like both, well honestly I have fallen out of AA the people are great but the program of recovery is not medically sound it is based on the oxford group and they were a religious group. I have had the same sponsor for 17 years I go to 1 meeting a week and the people are amazing.
I go to Smart Recovery once a week they have a program of self management great support but no God is going to save you, in Smart we give you the tools and support to get sober the rest is up to you, very empowering.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

one thing IMO and 25 years of meetings and studying all forms of recovery any program will work if you want sobriety, any program.
Drinking is not a sin nor is alcoholism caused by character defects it is a powerful addictive drug and if you drink enough of it you will become addicted.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

best to not have expectations orther than groups of people that come together to share experience,strength, and hope.

heres a couple links on AA

About AA meetings

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

theres a sectionmon this site with pamphlets,some of which explainna little about aa and meetings

Alcoholics Anonymous : A.A. Literature

Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

im not sure about smart recovery, but im suremtheres literature about that org, too.

Last edited by Dee74; 08-11-2016 at 03:41 AM. Reason: copyright
Old 08-11-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope you succeed in choosing
Old 08-11-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just try 'em both. No two people will have identical experiences with any group, but fortunately there are often multiple local options to pick and choose from. Maybe you will find that you really want to attend both, for different reasons.

The biggest face-hitting difference to me is the format. AA meetings, every one I've ever gone to, are kinda choreographed, it feels to me like a non-catholic going to a catholic mass, with people magically know what to do, and when. SMART meetings are more free-form, around the room sharing with cross-talk encouraged, which is more like most other support groups and more like every medical treatment group I've gone to, but that can be intimidating. It's easier to just shut up and blend into the crowd at an AA meeting, especially a larger one.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Just a note to say there are many types of AA meetings- and none are based on knowing magically what to do. That's what the Big Book and the 12&12 (on principles and traditions of AA) teach you- a new way of life. You can find Open Discussion- which IMO is the best way to start- as well as womens/mens only, speaker meetings (one person shares their story, and experience, strength and hope as AA guides you to do), and others. Working with a sponsor is about living the AA program, which is one of specific action and yes, based on a Higher Power.

Both programs like SMART (as well as CBT/DBT - cognitive and dialiectical behavior therapy, respectively) and AA encourage/use workbooks to do specific tasks teaching you how to live a better, sober, conscious, life based on good-decisions and behavior. Ex- A Woman's Way through the 12 Steps (Stephanie Covington) and The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook (Matthew McKay et al).

As has been said - if you decided on a program and being sober, the one you choose will work if you DO it, as AA says- your sobriety is a DAILY reprieve from your alcoholism as you PRACTICE your growth with a higher power, AND (the AND is key) live the steps and the principles (which is basically a list of "right living" that anyone would benefit from making their life's behavior) -
A.A. History - The AA Principles and Virtues

One last note- AA will likely not "make sense" right away. You go to meetings, you listen, you learn about the steps and you begin to make them. For me, it involved time and beginning to work with a sponsor and really learning the BB - I hope you won't let anyone tell you it is some kind of cult. There is so much more I could write here but I will leave it at this: if you need to stop drinking, do, and find support that works for you.

Good luck!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Based on the way I did it, I would try everything else available, and leave AA only as a last resort if nothing else works.

I beleive AA worked well for me, providing the permanent recovery I was looking for, only because I was convinced by my experience that it was my last hope. Perhaps that focusses the mind, getting right down to that simple choice of "live by spiritual principles or face an alcholic death"

Again from my experience, the thought that I had other options open to me, or that my problems might be due to some cause other than alcoholism, and also the thought that one day I might be able to drink like normal people, those were the thoughts that caused me to hold back, to not give whatever it was I was trying 100% effort and honesty.

AA states that if we want to recover we must have no reservations. Might as well get the other options out the way first. Who knows? One of them may work.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I also recommend trying them both, and as others have said the AA meetings vary so I recommend trying a few different ones. I also suggest you try "beginners meetings" first - those are (supposed to) speak more to you.
Also if you are not big on religion, consider an Agnostic/Secular meeting. I heard a podcast on Beyond AA that some even discuss SMART.

There is a free SMART course online that you can try and the book isn't too expensive. Reading it should help you understand their philosophy a bit. I have not (yet) attended one of their meetings but I'm sure Google can provide you with insights on what those are like.

I use SMART along with AA.

My personal experience was that I really needed AA meetings in the beginning. I needed a (sober) place to go after work, I needed to find some accountability partners and I desperately needed some sober friends who understood the misery I was experiencing.

My attendance varied - in the beginning it was several times a week, but as I got a foothold on my life and sobriety, I fit in meetings when I could or when I needed them.

After 15 months of regular attendance, I'm leaving AA. I'll probably do some of our regular fellowship events we have (weekly mens coffee) and possibly a meeting here and there, but not much more than that.

Don't get me wrong - AA saved my life but I believe a recovery program should fix you and you move on with your life. This is advice straight from my sponsor and grand-sponsor. I was really lucky to find some guys who's beliefs paralleled my own.

For me - again, just me here, my life has filled in with more interesting things. (Social clubs, career pursuits, fitness, etc.) and I know that AA will always be there if I need it.

CJ.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The meetings are very different between SMART and AA. I think that just being around other sober people is helpful. The programs of recovery are very different as well: in AA you need an external higher power to save you, In SMART you use tools to save yourself. Neither will work for everyone so give them both a try!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Just a clarification. AA meetings are not the program of AA. The basic premise of AA is that by following a simple plan of action a spiritual awakening will occur, removing the drink problem.

Meetings are not part of that plan, and attendance at a zillion mwwtings will not bring about a spiritual awakening. Today there is far too much emphasis on meetings as a way to recover. It is really false advertising.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

What about cost? At AA meetings we pass the basket and people seem to contribute 0 or 1 or 2 dollars. How does SMART work financially?
Old 10-12-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AAPJ View Post
What about cost? At AA meetings we pass the basket and people seem to contribute 0 or 1 or 2 dollars. How does SMART work financially?
Though I have never been, I do know that SMART meetings are also free and a donation basket is passed. I think you might need to purchase the literature for SMART to work the program though I am not sure. You might be able to get it free at a meeting similar to how AA gives newcomers books etc. I am not sure so if I am wrong someone can correct me. But, I do know that the meetings are free.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think the best advice is to just try them both and see what you think. You can expect to find people who are interested in sobriety at either one.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The only meetings I've ever had to pay for are medical treatment facility outpatient meetings. All the community support group meetings, certainly all the large groups, are free maybe with a pass-the-basket donation requested but not required.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

As far as my experience goes AA fills my spiritual need and SMART fills my scientific and rational need.

You'll get lots of opinions but this is your journey, try them both and find what works for you. All that matters is that you're sober and honestly happy about it.

Good luck!
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The SMART workbook is $10 I think. Well worth the price!