Notices

This is easy

Old 08-09-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6083875
Old 08-09-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm with you on the last part. I rarely think about drinking anymore. But, I wouldn't say getting to this point was 'easy.' And it didn't happen overnight.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I am an AA'er, and while I don't have the desire to drink, I have my moments that make it less then normal and quite difficult to otherwise be like those who don't have to worry about what one sip will do to them.

that's what i assume the OP is speaking of, no desire to drink. not battling that desire.

finishing other people's left-over wine in their glasses?
yes, i've done that. vivid memory, being invited to a neighbour's get-together. at midnight, when people were leaving, insisting on doing all the dishes if she just brought them into the kitchen. sole purpose: to get all the glasses with the wine, the partially drunk bottles, and to have her out of the kitchen tidying up in the living room.
disgusting. yes. didn't know any of those people or where their mouths had been. just knew i needed more booze.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:25 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Che View Post

Some people will go a whole day doing nothing but thinking about not drinking. Those people are in the most danger.

But still, this addiction can really surprise you. You can think it's totally behind you, and then something really painful can happen that turns into you drinking like a fish for a month, wondering who you are and taking all that confidence away from you.

You have to be mentally prepared for the sharp turn in the road that could come up.
My book tells me that I need to be spiritually prepared for the sharp turns that will come up.

And my experience confirms the truth of this. It can be easy to stay sober when things are going well, but when the bad thing happens, will we turn to our new solution, or the old one?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:32 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I posted about this a few months ago. After a couple months in, I found sobriety to be quite easy. I'm 10 months sober and most days the only time I think about drinking is when I see people drinking alcohol in a restaurant/bar/party. In my daily life, I rarely think about it. I had to change my habit of pouring the glass at 5pm every day more than anything. I THOUGHT it would be much more difficult to stop drinking than it actually was. At the same time, I have a healthy respect for the precariousness of sobriety.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

It's easy for me some days because I'm not a daily drinker. I binge. And on those days, it is NOT easy. I hope I get to a point when it's easy every day because currently it's horrible.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
My book tells me that I need to be spiritually prepared for the sharp turns that will come up.

And my experience confirms the truth of this. It can be easy to stay sober when things are going well, but when the bad thing happens, will we turn to our new solution, or the old one?
As long as I am spiritually fit... Nothing disturbs me enough that I think about needing a drink. Not only that, but nothing disturbs me enough that I feel like I am suffering much from anything.

In this life - pain is inevitable - suffering is optional.