Notices

PAWS or something else?

Old 08-07-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

PAWS or something else?

Are PAWS symptoms ever physical , I am over 7 months free of drink and benzos and sometimes I still get that withdrawl-y feeling and it can last for up to 2hours. At times I get in a cool shower and it helps a bit though the heat makes me sick as well so I just don't know what to think.

But I am really over it.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's not rewarding. I really should have felt healthier at this point.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sleepie,

I get spacey still at 15 months. I think diet, sleep, stress, and sickness seem to play into what I feel like.

Today I had 2 strong cups of coffee, a big mac, and some pizza rolls. Loads of caffeine and salt. I ate some healthy stuff too. I felt pretty jacked up.

But, I have no doubt part of the problem is the damage my drug abuse has caused.

It seems to get better everyday.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is a full on panic attack feeling triggered by heat and I get sweats, can't get a full breathe and rapid heart rate lasting for a long time, a cool shower will bring it down but I just don't know if it is the heat, a panic attack, both or what. I am just so sick of feeling like garbage after all the work getting sober. This isn't what I got sober for and what's more I know if I were to take a Valium it would abate. I saw at least a thread or two with others at 6, 7 months not feeling too great. But I feel as if I am in full withdrawal all over again so often, I'm just sick to death of it. I do know hot weather is a real trigger.

I'm just so over it.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Sleepie,

I can relate. I was a hot mess still at 6 months. Seriously.

Part of my recovery has been moderate physical activity.

I bet it has helped me.

What you are saying seems like anxiety. Not your heart or resperatory system.

If you can, see a dr. It might ease your pain. Obviously, don't let him give you anti anxiety meds.

Have you tried exercise at all? If you are feeling stressed, try some jumping Jacks or dancing around the house. Do it for 30 seconds, rest for a minute, 30 seconds rest...for 6 minutes. Try to crack a sweat. Get the heart rate up.

It may help relieve some of that anxiety energy.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I determined to start meditation a few days back. It was a hot humid day, and after 10 minutes, whoosh- dizzy and heat sick. Then I went for a long brisk walk the next day, it was hot and sunny. Sure enough, I paid for it later. Was extra sensitive to the heat and had a spell later, borderline heat sick all night and seems to have carried over the whole weekend. I had another two hour episode earlier today.

What was it like at 6 months for you? It is this that really disturbs and discourages me, not even anxiety, moodiness or depression. This the worst part, even worse than insomnia.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
It is a full on panic attack feeling triggered by heat and I get sweats, can't get a full breathe and rapid heart rate lasting for a long time, a cool shower will bring it down but I just don't know if it is the heat, a panic attack, both or what. I am just so sick of feeling like garbage after all the work getting sober. This isn't what I got sober for and what's more I know if I were to take a Valium it would abate. I saw at least a thread or two with others at 6, 7 months not feeling too great. But I feel as if I am in full withdrawal all over again so often, I'm just sick to death of it. I do know hot weather is a real trigger.

I'm just so over it.
Hi Sleepie,

I'm not sure how old you are, I am 45 and have had a few hot flashes in the past year, and would describe them in a similar way. I thought I was too young for menopause, but according to the doctor that is exactly what is going on. It might be worth making an appointment with your doctor to see what is going on with your body.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Been to the Dr a million times for other female issues and 2 full check ups in 9 months, nobody brought it up but I do have other non related female issues. Also not old enough.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Are PAWS symptoms ever physical
Yes, I've definitely had physical symptoms as part of my PAWS.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What were they?
Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What were they?
The main ones I had were

- Dizziness, sometimes severe
- Sharp pains in the back of my head and neck
- Water retention in my face and stomach (doesn't happen all the time, but when it does I have a giant moon face and look like I'm pregnant)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Did you happen to see a dr about it?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did you happen to see a dr about it?
I thought about it, but didn't end up going because the symptoms started getting better on their own.
Old 08-08-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Just woke up for my usual hour or so...middle of the night...hate it...

When you did the activity, I swear that sounds exactly how it feels when I push to hard at the gym.

Try to eat healthy and keep up the exercise.

Again, I had spacey feelings, spacial disorientation, sensitivity to light and sound, hang over feelings in the am, red eyes and weakness.

I kept working out and tried to eat clean. I took only a multi and a B supplement from Costco. I drink at least 6 bottles of water a day...I refill them at work...and at the gym.

7 months is amazing. If you relapse...you know the price will be hefty...same here. We don't need drugs anymore.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Sleepie, sounds to me like the heat is the big problem. Hopefully you'll feel better once the weather cools off (and it will, eventually, I hope)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Been to the Dr a million times for other female issues and 2 full check ups in 9 months, nobody brought it up but I do have other non related female issues. Also not old enough.
Any concerns like this should always be brought up with your doctor. The best you'll get here are people who have had like experiences which may or may not have anything to do with what your issue is.

You said "nobody brought it up" above. Did you bring it up? Are you honest with your doctor about your alcohol use and the fact that you've quit?

Keeping in mind what I said about these only being similar experiences I will offer you this, What you are describing is exactly how I feel when I get a hot flash OR when I try to exercise or exert myself without proper eating. Your description is exact.

Hormonal changes are also not isolated to older women. You don't have any true idea of how alcohol has affected your body.

Not eating properly and going out into the heat or exercising can create a drop in blood sugar.

Both can create what you're feeling.

As far as being too young I don't know how old you are but perimenopause could start in your early 30s, maybe sooner because of the alcohol use.

No one will know for sure but your doctor and you need to be brutally honest when it comes to your alcohol history.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Am I honest with my Dr about drinking? Uh, yeah, to say the least. He's been hearing about it for years, in detail. Many times. In detail. With numbers. He also helped me last time I had withdrawals and also saw him last I quit for a stretch. So yeah, I wouldn't really call myself dishonest there.

Also believe they checked my levels, FSH or something, and thyroid... And enzymes, and everything,.

This has been triggered by the heat to a crazy degree since I was heat sick some years ago.

I am aware that people will share their experiences and am not looking for a diagnosis. I am also prone to anxiety and don't want to be running to the Dr over every little thing. Case in point, after spending literally my last penny on expensive ultra sounds and appointments for female issues, I am only told I have a problem nothing can be done about. The stress of the many, many appointments, vague symptoms, tests and waiting for results basically ruined me mentally, and all for nothing. Nothing has changed, except my bank account is empty and I am stressed beyond my limit. I still have pain, other functions are still a nightmare and I am basically told to live with it. I would have been better off saving my money and mentality and never looking into it. Because they use chalked it up with a shrug and I could have done that on my own.

I had also a benzo issue and my understanding us that coupling them with alcohol can be its own unique kind of hell after one quits, so yes, I do wish to know of the of others in that respect.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My guess is that this is related to your anxiety too. Are you still working on your self-plan to deal with it? If you've ruled out physical causes, anxiety can cause physical symptoms for sure. The fact that panic attacks are involved is also something to consider.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

just thinking, sleepie, that with the heat you're suffering from and how that limits your physical activity options, swimming might be a perfect solution.
it's cool, and you can swim, rest, swim, rest....and slowly build up to longer and more.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
zjw

8 months sober i talked to a doctor about problems i was having since i had quit drinking. I was questioning my sanity to be honest. He stated that it was proabbly alcohol withdrawels. I told him thats crazy at 8 months? ! he said yep certainly possible. then he recomneded i take paxil or prozac etc... I told him no i'd rather not. he told me I'd loose this battle and that Its ok to get on meds. I told him no thanks. Then he stated he has read studies that diet and excercise can go a long way at fighting these various things but that i'd probably loose the battle and my life would just be easier if i'd just get on the pills. I again told him no.

He's a close family friend this MD too. Anyhow fast forward I chose the diet and excercise appraoch for me this worked out well.

and while I didnt really believe him at the time that it could be withdrawels still. I certainly believe him now. why? because I went through it and because I've read so many simlier stories on this board of people still struggling with various things 6-12 months after they quit drinking etc...

Heck I sometimes wonder if i still have some level of PAWS going on at times.

Thats my 2 cents anyhow.