SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   1 Year for CJ! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/395662-1-year-cj.html)

cejay 08-07-2016 07:05 AM

1 Year for CJ!

Hi All,

I’m celebrating 1 year of continuous sobriety today and what a year it’s been!

I’ve changed careers, moved twice, met tons of people, ended relationships, started new ones, dated lots of different women, travelled all over, drawn (and enforced) some difficult boundaries with family and made some hard calls.
I’ve read dozens of books, listened to hundreds of podcasts and am adding to my education through self directed study towards some certifications that are really going to help me.

I took a dream vacation by myself, bought a new car. (First ever that was just for me) I closed off some old chapters of my life/ended friendships.

Through the program I’ve learned to have great friendships with other men and we have a very solid fellowship. I’ve almost never been angry but I’ve stood up for myself and worked hard on not being a door mat either.

I’ve found my version of a higher power and spirituality and taken up Taoism which makes me feel connected to the universe and content.

Hands down the best year of my life. I’ve no idea what year 2 but can’t wait to find out.

I still have problems, still get sad, lonely, and yes even cry, sometimes out of happiness and sometimes out of sadness. If we’re being honest - I cry more now than I ever have - and I’m OK with that. I still have people die or leave my life in other ways. People are still rude, selfish and inconsiderate to me on occasion, too.
I’m still pretty selfish too, but the difference today is that I know that. (Progress not perfection eh? 😉 )

All in all, my problems are fairly insignificant though life still throws curveballs now and then. The universe hasn’t decided to change and be nice to me since I’m sober, it’s my perception that has changed. It’s how I handle what life throws me that has changed.

I’m not a die hard AA fundamentalist (there’s nothing wrong with those who are). Going to AA was a really tough decision which I wrote about here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...a-meeting.html

I work my program the way I work my program and I’m unapologetic about that. It’s working for me.

In the beginning I attended quite a few meetings to fill the time. I listened to lots of recovery podcasts and read blogs and forums like this one. I reached out to men in my fellowship and talked to them about their experience(s). I asked for help, advice and approval. As I got stronger I as able to taper off meetings and fill in other things of interest. I explored spirituality and drew boundaries. I have absolutely left boozy sales-y events that my boss or co-workers thought I should be at. In short I put sobriety first and immersed myself in it.

Today, I attend a 1-3 meetings a week when I have time and thoroughly enjoy the fellowship and helping others where I can. (Sometimes this is just putting out the chairs or welcoming a newcomer) I also incorporate some SMART/CBT.

Why did I share all of this? For you. Especially if you’re struggling with deciding if you should quit or not, or maybe you’re in early sobriety trying to decide if its worth it. For me it has been in spades.

All the best,

CJ.

PixieD 08-07-2016 07:14 AM

Congrats CJ! Great work :c011:

Nevertheless 08-07-2016 07:14 AM

Congrats on a year :c014:

MIRecovery 08-07-2016 07:19 AM

Congrats, it sounds like the promises are coming true for you. What is so cool it just keeps getting better as long as we keep working the program

emme99 08-07-2016 07:26 AM

Congratulations CJ :)

sugarbear1 08-07-2016 08:00 AM

Congratulations!

JD 08-07-2016 08:20 AM

Congrats CJ. One year is fantastic!

teatreeoil007 08-07-2016 09:11 AM

Very inspiring to hear CJ. Thanks so much for sharing.

:scoregood

least 08-07-2016 09:19 AM

Congrats on the first of many sober years! :scoregood

biminiblue 08-07-2016 09:21 AM

Really great post. Congrats on that hard work and success! :)

fred59 08-07-2016 09:34 AM

congrats CJ what a year for you, you are on the right path. I to incorporate Smart Recovery I really find the cross talk beneficial

FarToGo 08-07-2016 09:57 AM

Brilliant! Such an upbeat (but real) post. I'm so pleased for you and thanks for sharing here.
xx

Jsbodhi 08-07-2016 10:30 AM

Well done! :scoregood

Venecia 08-07-2016 12:29 PM

Congratulations, CJ! Great to see milestones like yours!

Soberwolf 08-07-2016 01:11 PM

Big congrats on Year 1 Sober :scoregood

soberclover 08-07-2016 01:12 PM

Fabulous!!!!!!!!

zjw 08-07-2016 01:26 PM

Good job awesome!!

All in all, my problems are fairly insignificant though life still throws curveballs now and then. The universe hasn’t decided to change and be nice to me since I’m sober, it’s my perception that has changed. It’s how I handle what life throws me that has changed.
Yea we can treally count on squat in life. we cant count on others we cant count on our cars we cant even count on ourselves etc.. But we can count on life being life. it is what it is and will always be that goood bad ups downs its just how it is. we can count on that.

Dee74 08-07-2016 03:24 PM

Congratulations cejay :)

D

Hevyn 08-07-2016 03:25 PM

Wonderful to hear, CJ! :) Thank you for sharing your hope & joy.

Dave42001 08-07-2016 06:15 PM

Great post!! Thanks for sharing!!