Notices

Elevator

Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Elevator

Alcoholism is a personal, one way elevator. It only travels down, to hell and eventual death, and we never know when that bottom will be reached. Every stage of descent steals a little bit more of our soul and life. Any of us on our elevator of death didn't realize the danger, and we entered willingly. It looked like fun. Instead it was misery.

The good news is, we can step off the elevator at any time before it has reached its final destination. The only one keeping us on this death ride is ourselves. But... the longer we stay on, the more we gamble that the ride will end before we step off. AND the only way up, once we do step off, is to take the stairs.

Get off the elevator now, it will be harder to climb up the further down you ride. And sooner or later your chances will be gone.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good analogy and great reminder Betty, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No more elevator for me. I'm doing the steps. Much more work and slower..but worth the climb!
Old 07-27-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Good post Betty. The trouble for me was, when I had the opportunities to get off the elevator, the motivation wasn't there. Drinking was still fun as far as I could see.

Then when the motivation, even desperation, came, the doors were sealed shut. I lacked the power to open them. Luckily, when I picked up the handset, there was an AA technician who knew the code.
Old 07-27-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Betty126 View Post
Alcoholism is a personal, one way elevator. It only travels down, to hell and eventual death, and we never know when that bottom will be reached. Every stage of descent steals a little bit more of our soul and life. Any of us on our elevator of death didn't realize the danger, and we entered willingly. It looked like fun. Instead it was misery.

The good news is, we can step off the elevator at any time before it has reached its final destination. The only one keeping us on this death ride is ourselves. But... the longer we stay on, the more we gamble that the ride will end before we step off. AND the only way up, once we do step off, is to take the stairs.

Get off the elevator now, it will be harder to climb up the further down you ride. And sooner or later your chances will be gone.