Notices

So I got my 1st DUI a few days ago

Old 07-17-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So I got my 1st DUI a few days ago

Things were going okay, I was working at a restaurant and then I finally got a 2nd job, I was trying to get 1 all year; I finally got my dream job at a pet shop. Then things started getting so stressful at the restaurant I got another job as a cashier at a mini mart at a hotel. But before I left my job at the restaurant I decided to ask my crush out, and she sort of said no, said she wasn’t ready for a relationship. I didn’t think it would hurt me but it really did, I started drinking heavily.

Even though I finally had 2 jobs, and was finally saving up for a car so much was going on, and then when my crush said no it all came crashing down. I was honestly devastated, the mini mart job usually had 1 person working alone and it was right next to a liquor store, so on my 2nd day of training I went to get something to drink. I was drinking heavily the night before so I threw it up and continued drinking even more, the job was pretty boring and people rarely ever came in the store. I don’t even remember how that night at work ended, the next thing I vaguely remember is having an officer tell me to step out the car and he started giving me some test.

Next thing I know I’m waking up in jail and the detention officer is telling me my court date is coming up in a few minutes, it’s morning already and I get charged with a DUI and driving on the wrong side of the road. I guess for some reason I refused to blow into the breathalyzer thing, the judge was nice since my mom was there and decided to let me off on a PR Bond thing and didn’t send me to prison. Supposedly I almost hit an officer somehow.

So I decided to finally enroll in Rehab since I won’t be driving for a few months, I think it’s about 6 or 7. Today I went to the mini mart hotel job and I looked on the schedule and I wasn’t on it. Then I get a call from the manager at the hotel telling she needed to speak to me about a serious matter, maybe she saw me on the camera or I did something stupid while drunk, so I decided just to not go back.

Thinking back I think I was trying to juggle to many things at once. When I turned 25 I started to panic because I still lived at home and I wanted to race to grow up. In these past few weeks I juggled trying to have 2 jobs, buy a car, find an apartment and get a girlfriend, all at once because I felt like if I didn’t get all those things this year I would be left behind. I didn’t want to stop and get help if it meant being left behind by everyone else my age. But maybe I should slow down a little, maybe there’s still time to make something out of my life. I’ve decide to spend the rest of my time sober while my license is suspended, perhaps I need these months to heal.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have lots of time. Rehab sounds like a great choice right now. Hopefully it can help you get in a better place. Hang in there, do the work. It will get better.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think rehab is a very good idea. Thank goodness you didn't injure or kill someone while driving in that state - consider yourself extremely lucky to have this chance.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

YH - I'm sorry you've had so much to deal with. I do think rehab is the best decision you could've made. Drinking seems like an answer when we're stressed, hurt, in pain - but it just gives us a temporary bit of numbness. Nothing gets resolved, nothing changes. You're doing yourself a huge favor - you can reclaim your life at a very young age.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this will motivate you to stay sober for good. And yes, rehab sounds like a great idea.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I think rehab is a very good idea. Thank goodness you didn't injure or kill someone while driving in that state - consider yourself extremely lucky to have this chance.
Yes, I was just considering how I could of gotten life if I had hit that cop.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There is always time, focus on what is important...you.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If you dont go to rehab, at least consider going to meetings.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

You called it your 1st. Do you expect a second one?

Whatever you do, please consider not drinking and making sobriety a way of life!!
Old 07-21-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think rehab is a wonderful idea; inpatient helped me a lot and gave me time to concentrate on my recovery with no distractions. You truly do have a second chance and I hope for strength for you to get and stay sober.
Old 07-21-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

While you're getting rehab sorted out, I'd suggest getting along to some AA meetings. At least then you'll get some support in that early sobriety period which is so hard, and the people there may also have some info to share on local rehab facilities.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope rehab helps you
Old 07-21-2016, 04:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dox
paradox

Originally Posted by YoungHyde25 View Post
I didn’t want to stop and get help if it meant being left behind by everyone else my age.
We alcoholics often get left behind by our cohort.
I know I did.

Until and unless we recover from alcoholism, we can get further and further behind.
Some of us never grow up.

. . . maybe there’s still time to make something out of my life.
There's still time . . .

if you want recovery and are willing to work for it.

. . . perhaps I need these months to heal.
There's more to healing an alcoholic than simply abstaining from alcohol . . .

for any length of time.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You called it your 1st. Do you expect a second one?

Whatever you do, please consider not drinking and making sobriety a way of life!!
That's the thing, I can't say for certain that i'll never have another drink ever again for the rest of my life. That's something that's been in my head alot. However I would prefer not to have it control my life to the point where I make such stupid decisions, like drive and lose jobs. Right now I live with my mom and I can't drive, so I really don't have much of a choice as far as not drinking goes. There really wouldn't be any point in drinking now because I only like to be really drunk around other people and i'm kind of stuck at home.

But I am learning the importance of being sober in regards to being succesuful, making more money and having control of your life. As far as the way alcohol effected my social relationships, i'm not really good at relationships in general, I think that's why that part never really had any effect on stopping me from drinking. But the idea that alcoholism can cost me money and my legal freedom, I don't like.

But does this mean I will never drink alcohol again ever, I can't say for sure right now. I do know that I never want to drink and drive ever again and I don't want to go into work drunk ever again. I've been evaluating my life to see what motivated me to do those things.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Hope rehab helps you
Thanks, I don't know if it really counts as Rehab. It's actually a 3 hour class I go to twice a week where we talk about ways to be sober and the importance of being sober. I just call it Rehab.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rehab sounds like a great plan. I am glad you didn't hurt yourself or someone else, and it sounds like this may have been your wake up call.

I wish I had stopped drinking at your age.