SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Hope it's ok for now (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/394433-hope-its-ok-now.html)

Mattq2 07-12-2016 07:24 PM

Hope it's ok for now

Still not drinking which is good but sure am not missing any meals. Trying to eat good stuff but can't believe my appetite. I'll have to deal with that eventually but one thing at a time I guess. Food really diminishes the "bad" cravings.

Soberpotamus 07-12-2016 07:56 PM

Sure, it's ok. Really. We tend to be malnourished and low in some vitamins after heavy drinking. One great benefit I noticed was that I didn't gain weight like I thought I would when I quit drinking and began eating real food in adequate portions. My body balanced out and healed itself.

ScottFromWI 07-12-2016 08:16 PM

Yeah, I developed a sweet tooth and ate a lot more initially too. It did subside over time, don't be afraid to get a checkup at some point if you have concerns.

Mattq2 07-12-2016 08:20 PM

Thank you. I'm not concerned. When I was drinking I ate very little. I'll let it be for awhile

ElleSki 07-12-2016 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mattq2 (Post 6041914)
Still not drinking which is good but sure am not missing any meals. Trying to eat good stuff but can't believe my appetite. I'll have to deal with that eventually but one thing at a time I guess. Food really diminishes the "bad" cravings.

Yes! There was a recent period where i didn't eat for over three weeks. I lost so much weight and muscle in my arms and legs, and had a distended abdomen and puffy face. Straight up alcoholic body. These last three weeks of sobriety i have definitely been chowing down. So i think you're doing just fine lol.

Soberwolf 07-13-2016 09:20 AM

Congratulations Matt

MIRecovery 07-13-2016 09:29 AM

You have to realize there is a ton of calories in alcohol. When you cut out those calories you get real hungry real quick

freshstart57 07-13-2016 10:29 AM

The most important thing, maybe the only important thing, is to banish the alcohol. The rest of it will sort itself out in time.

I found it helpful to eat simple unprocessed foods, easy on the fat and sugar. Meat, fruit, vegetables, beans, whole grains. It was strangely satisfying to eat real food again.

Hang in there!

least 07-13-2016 11:12 AM

When I got sober I gained back my appetite. I hadn't been eating much, just drinking, so it was a good thing to eat well again. Stay sober. The appetite will level out eventually. :)

Dave42001 07-13-2016 11:57 AM

Eat up!!

misty2572 07-13-2016 12:02 PM

I know how you feel. Today is my first day sober (again).... when I'm drinking I don't eat. When I get sober I can't seem to stop eating. Then I worry about weight gain. I have decided, like you, to deal with that when I'm able to. Staying sober is much more important.

thomas11 07-13-2016 02:06 PM

I believe its pretty common. I was a bottomless pit for Monday and Tuesday after my traditional weekend binge. Food is better than booze 7 days a week.

Forward12 07-13-2016 02:11 PM

It's common. I know at least for me personally just trying to keep food down during a binge was a huge struggle. Once that was over, I was eating like crazy likely because of malnourishment. Don't be ashamed and eat up!