SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   3 weeks! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/394391-3-weeks.html)

ElleSki 07-11-2016 09:57 PM

3 weeks!

Well, as some of you may know, I went thru some very nasty DT's a few weeks ago. Hallucinations, delusions, injuries, very close to cardiac arrest (so the Dr told me).... the whole sha-bang. It was terrifying and painful. Just wanted to check in 3 weeks sober :)

After getting out of the hospital I stayed with my parents for a while. I felt completely awful. My stomach was bloated and my body was swollen...I couldn't stomach eating anything. I had absolutely no energy and spent most of my time laying on the couch. Even standing for too long was too much for me. My muscles are so weak from months of just drinking and sitting around. Too lazy to do anything but put a mixed a drink to my mouth.

Buuuut....after 3 weeks I'm proud to say that I have not touched a drink, nor have I even had any urge to do so. I pray every day that this mindset continues, and i hope it does. Every time I think about that night that took me to the hospital...I can't even imagine having another drink. My body is starting to heal...I'm feeling about 50% right now.. but it's better than 0. And to anyone that has issues with stomach bloating after stopping drinking......plain Greek yogurt! It's nasty but it helps immensely!

I wish everyone the best in their recovery journey! Thank you for the well wishes, the encouragement, andfor reading! God Bless :)

2muchpain 07-12-2016 06:12 AM

Nice going on three weeks!! That's a big victory. I know what you mean about Greek Yogurt. Tried it, didn't like it.
Went through the same thing you did with the hallucinations, injuries, etc. Last time, I honestly believed the Marines had taken over my apartment to spy on my neighbors across the street. They had rigged up all kinds of electronic equipment all over my apartment. They told me there was a federal law that allowed them to do this. And believe it or not, that wasn't the worst of it. Got pretty scary.
Best advice I can give you is to be good to yourself. The first month is hell. Take it easy and be patient. Like many people have said here on SR, make a plan and be prepared when those thoughts of drinking come up. Don't be caught off guard if that happens.
Best of luck. John

fini 07-12-2016 08:25 AM

Elle, that's great!

other than relying on memory of the awfulness, what's your plan on how to go forward?

Dave42001 07-12-2016 08:54 AM

Nice job!! Keep up the good work!

Whodathunk 07-12-2016 10:29 AM

Great Job!!!

Berrybean 07-12-2016 11:03 AM

Well done.

Soberwolf 07-12-2016 12:50 PM

Congratulations

ScottFromWI 07-12-2016 01:34 PM

Congrats on 3 weeks elleSki! Glad to hear things are looking up, and thanks for your contributions here on SR as well. Don't be a stranger!

ElleSki 07-12-2016 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by 2muchpain (Post 6040935)
Nice going on three weeks!! That's a big victory. I know what you mean about Greek Yogurt. Tried it, didn't like it.
Went through the same thing you did with the hallucinations, injuries, etc. Last time, I honestly believed the Marines had taken over my apartment to spy on my neighbors across the street. They had rigged up all kinds of electronic equipment all over my apartment. They told me there was a federal law that allowed them to do this. And believe it or not, that wasn't the worst of it. Got pretty scary.
Best advice I can give you is to be good to yourself. The first month is hell. Take it easy and be patient. Like many people have said here on SR, make a plan and be prepared when those thoughts of drinking come up. Don't be caught off guard if that happens.
Best of luck. John

Thank you John! And yes...those delysions are terrifying. Because you really believe it's happening. Never again.

ElleSki 07-12-2016 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by fini (Post 6041116)
Elle, that's great!

other than relying on memory of the awfulness, what's your plan on how to go forward?

As of now I'm staying very close to my family. I moved in with my sister and my mom checks in with me daily. My family is very involved in my recovery.

I just want my body to feel normal again :( Im being patient tho

ElleSki 07-12-2016 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6041470)
Congrats on 3 weeks elleSki! Glad to hear things are looking up, and thanks for your contributions here on SR as well. Don't be a stranger!

I won't be! Just been doing a lot off recouping lately. :) and thank you!

neferkamichael 07-12-2016 05:44 PM

ElleSki, 3 weeks is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. :egypt:
http://www.flowerpicturegallery.com/...our+garden.jpg

ElleSki 07-12-2016 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by neferkamichael (Post 6041781)
ElleSki, 3 weeks is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya. :egypt:
http://www.flowerpicturegallery.com/...our+garden.jpg

Thank you so much! I admit i still feel pretty awful, but its nothing compared to how I was while drinking. And im grateful :)

REsoberALITY 07-12-2016 06:37 PM

Congrats on 3 weeks! Keep it up! You're doing Great.

2muchpain 07-12-2016 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ElleSki (Post 6041771)
Thank you John! And yes...those delysions are terrifying. Because you really believe it's happening. Never again.

Yeah, I even called a friend of mine to tell him how upset I was that these Marines had the right to take over my apartment. I don't think most people would believe this is possible with just drinking. Obviously, I don't share this story with anybody I know LOL. John

ElleSki 07-12-2016 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by 2muchpain (Post 6041893)
Yeah, I even called a friend of mine to tell him how upset I was that these Marines had the right to take over my apartment. I don't think most people would believe this is possible with just drinking. Obviously, I don't share this story with anybody I know LOL. John

I hear you on that. Unfortunately my whole family watched my mental state deteriorate. The odd thing is that i feel no embarrassment. I believe this happened for a reason. If this hasn't had happened i could be dead right now. So I like to think of it as my "insane moment of clarity" lol.

2muchpain 07-13-2016 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by ElleSki (Post 6042069)
I hear you on that. Unfortunately my whole family watched my mental state deteriorate. The odd thing is that i feel no embarrassment. I believe this happened for a reason. If this hasn't had happened i could be dead right now. So I like to think of it as my "insane moment of clarity" lol.

It might also of been a blessing that your family saw what you were going through. I think it's hard for people that don't have a drinking problem to really understand what an alcoholic goes through and how serious it is. Many people here on SR have said how a family member will say that it isn't that bad, or just don't drink or maybe to cut down a bit. These people just don't get it even though they mean well.
BTW, no need to feel embarrassed. You went through a tough time like everybody else does. The important thing is that you learn from it and use it to your advantage. Sounds like your on your way to a better life because of it. John:You_Rock_

ElleSki 07-13-2016 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 2muchpain (Post 6042434)
It might also of been a blessing that your family saw what you were going through. I think it's hard for people that don't have a drinking problem to really understand what an alcoholic goes through and how serious it is. Many people here on SR have said how a family member will say that it isn't that bad, or just don't drink or maybe to cut down a bit. These people just don't get it even though they mean well.
BTW, no need to feel embarrassed. You went through a tough time like everybody else does. The important thing is that you learn from it and use it to your advantage. Sounds like your on your way to a better life because of it. John:You_Rock_

Thanks John! And you're so right about that...my mom just told me to outright quit. I kept telling her how dangerous that could be, and what i was learning here. I guess now she knows how bad it is lol. Thank you for the support!! Hope you're doing well also! 😀😀

thomas11 07-13-2016 02:13 PM

Really glad to hear things are getting better. You went through some pretty horrid stuff. The good news is (as you know), you don't ever have to go through it again. The body is pretty tough, I'm glad to hear you are bouncing back.

ElleSki 07-13-2016 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by thomas11 (Post 6042977)
Really glad to hear things are getting better. You went through some pretty horrid stuff. The good news is (as you know), you don't ever have to go through it again. The body is pretty tough, I'm glad to hear you are bouncing back.

Thank you Thomas! Even tho my body isnt at its best right now, im much happier without the booze. I do get a little impatient and moody at times, but im sure that will pass. Hope you are doing well!