Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group Part 2

Old 07-17-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Suze, I might go to plan B when you arrive, lol. This camper is going to require major work.

We might have to do the art museum/quirky bookstore/botanical gardens tour instead.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Anna and Dee, thanks so much.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Sorry Jennie love....I have had a few very complicated couple of days. About to catch up with all of your wonderful photos.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:49 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Please accept my apologies for the terrible English. I am a bit distressed today after a rather disturbing doctor's appointment yesterday afternoon. Working though it.

Concentrating on the miracles...

It is kind of wonderful when we have a chance to see the power of the universe working in our lives. Every time I lose someone, one of my Christmas cacti starts flowering. This is Venus for sure: ~

Old 07-18-2016, 12:52 AM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Spare tire says DOT and 4504 and has fine cracks running through it, lol. Guess it's too old.

That means 45th week of 2004, right?
Sorry for the late response. I started to cook baked meatballs to surprise fiance' (of 14 years). Secret on-the-fly recipe idea.
Wrecked everything, then she arrived................

YES YES! The "4504" means what you've said. Way too old.
See the cracking?
I'll bet the others are even possibly older.
Change them before you pull that baby around.
Be sure to purchase the proper or even heavier required "load range",
and keep them properly inflated, as well.
This is a priority. Check them frequently as time goes by.

Whether boat, camper, etc, trailer tires aren't being used on a daily basis; say like on a car or truck.
They go from point A to B, then spend most of their lives parked somewhere; soaking up damaging ozone.

When a tire is constantly being used, it has the chance to heat up, then cool down, rolling and flexing all the way.
This prevents "dry-rot" or cracking for a much longer time.

Enjoy!
Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Administrator

Venus, I'm sorry about the difficult doctor's appointment. I'm sending loving and healing thoughts your way.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Thank you. ♥
Old 07-18-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Suze, I'm sorry you had a disturbing doctors visit. I hope you are ok. Sending good vibes your way.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Lunar, thanks for these great tips.

For now, I'm a bit depressed and deflated over the camper. I see this as another one of my husband's screw-ups.

I'm going to shift focus back to my proofreading for now.

This camper is unusable and he has no intentions of helping me restore it.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:57 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I missed my ortho appointment today and I just don't care. Lol. Totally had it with them. And I'm very down about the camper and about the larger problem of being married to a moron.

I really just don't care right now if all orthos, dentists, and oral surgeons fall off the side of a cliff and I never see another one again.

Maybe this is PMS. I really hope it is, lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:05 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, do you think your husband bought the camper to use 'as is' or he has just lost all interest in helping you get it back to useable condition? Maybe if you step back from the camper for awhile, some good ideas for restoration will come to you.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:16 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Anna, I just asked him his plans.

A little backstory: I was looking at Casitas and Scamps when he and I met. I was planning to sell or rent out my home, and live indefinitely in one of those fiberglass egg-shaped campers, touring the country as I blogged. I had determined they were probably my best choice, due to size, affordability, and that they hold value because unlike other campers, they don't tend to leak or have water damage. They are one seamless hull.

Ok, so he has those stuck in his head now. He wants to take this old pop up camper and create some type of fiberglass hull with it. Which is absolutely ridiculous, because he is dealing with the huge issue of the mechanical obstacle this type of camper presents -- a moving part. It's not stationary. He should've purchased a non-pop-up style to experiment with, not this one. He understands this, but it's because this one was more affordable for us at the moment. He is going to try the fiberglass stuff on this one.

I will let him have his crazy project. It's all his. I wipe my hands of it.

Meanwhile, I will save my own money and buy another camper.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

He is a creative, inventive type of guy. Most of his projects are lying all around our house collecting dust.

He and I are similar, but I tend to 'launch' a bit more than he does.

I zero in on the flaws I see in his plans and offer alternative solutions. I just see the one huge flaw with this fiberglass pop-up camper idea and I know it's going to be a flop. He will persist in spite of the illogical and impractical nature of his plan. I think it's just stupid.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

One other great example of an idea we sort of hatched together that's become a divisive thing between us ... we collectively created this parrot character a couple years ago. It has a name. There are stories. The parrot has evolved with us as a couple. It's like a real parrot now (I know this sounds bizarre).

So, he pushed me and pushed me to write down the stories. I began writing them down but just stopped, and haven't touched them again really. The parrot was never truly 'mine' to write about. It was 'ours.' And now it's become more 'his' to the point I'm disgusted with the thing.

I never hear the end of writing about this parrot. He uses the parrot to guilt trip me now. The parrot is now sulky and depressed because he knows he'll never have a book written about him.

I know this sounds silly to most people, but it's an issue for us.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:21 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

He and I have discussed the camper situation quite a bit today. I think he is coming around to seeing what is important to me in a camper. I explained to him that I want it to be self-contained so that we aren't having to rely on public facilities at all. I told him it would be easy to get the shower room and porta-potty. No problems whatsoever there. Same for a portable cooktop. Either gas or electric. No problems. The sink will be the hardest. So far we've yet to find the water reservoir and tubing. If it's there, we'll find it. Replacing the canvas will be costly, and I've found some places online that will do a custom job. I'm going to shop around. I guess we'll have to throw out the cushions as well, since there's mold. The cushions are new but the mold must be in them, going by the looks and smell of things. The fridge is fine. Painting the walls inside shouldn't be too difficult.

And I stressed to him the most important and first thing to be done is to buy three new tires. That is a must, as Lunar has indicated. He fussed about this but I told him we have no business out on the road if he is unwilling to replace those tires. It just makes no sense to use old tires. His reasoning is that because the seller was able to get it here no problems, tires should be fine. No! It just means he was lucky.

So, tires first. Then we'll strip off the old canvas, bleach the inside to kill mold, let it dry, paint, and re-canvas. Sink install after that.

He seems to be on board with it.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

He would rather have the fiberglass type camper. I would too, but this is what we can afford right now. So we need to restore this or sell it. He agrees we will go ahead and start restoring it. We can always sell it if we need to.

And later, we'll have our Scamp or Casita.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
I missed my ortho appointment today and I just don't care. Lol. Totally had it with them. And I'm very down about the camper and about the larger problem of being married to a moron.

I really just don't care right now if all orthos, dentists, and oral surgeons fall off the side of a cliff and I never see another one again.

Maybe this is PMS. I really hope it is, lol.
Oh love ~ I am sorry.

About the missed appointment, about the camper that is not what you wanted and about Brian being Brian....sometimes he's pretty wonderful though, right?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

The parrot might not be sulky and depressed if he gets a story love.
The parrot who lived in a camper for example, after it (the camper that wouldn't pop) was abandoned by it's new owners....

I'm kidding. But I don't think it sounds in any way weird...I love that you guys created this together. Maybe the parrot can be saved, you know?
Old 07-18-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I'm glad you like the parrot, Suze. I was worried no one would 'get it.' Lol. He's actually quite funny and Brian talks in a parrot voice to me as the parrot. It's hilarious. He really has taken on a life of his own and is kinda out of my hands at this point. That's why it's hard to write now. I've asked Brian to co-author but he wants me to do it.

He is pretty wonderful sometimes, yes. He wanted me to have the nicer fiberglass camper and I think this was his attempt at making it for me. Doomed, yes. Lol.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I hope you are ok after that appointment??