Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group Part 2

Old 09-05-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I can't add anything except I love you J. ♥
Old 09-05-2016, 03:35 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  

We used to do date night. We occasionally walk or bike or kayak together. We tend to eat meals separately (embarrassing to admit, I sit at the desk in front of a screen or in front of a book of Kindle). Not always, though.

And, yep, we've even been to couples therapy ... once! Lol. I convinced him to go and it was a disaster. He says never again. You're absolutely right about that, EndGame. And from other conversations I've had with women, I gather it's definitely some kind of phenomenon. Lol.

Great suggestions, ladies (and gentleman). I will reevaluate our day-to-day lives and schedules and see where I can tweak some changes.

Our communication is pretty good, or at least, OK. I prompt him to discuss our issues. And I must admit, I can be a tyrant. I am not always fair about things. The therapist said I should've been an attorney, at which point I laughed, and yet, she was right about my approach and demeanor that day -- I skewered him in her presence with logic, and with accusations. I kind of blew up in there.

We aren't a sulking or silent couple at all. There's definite communication going on, and regularly. It's just not always nice.

I feel very bored with him at times. And exasperated with some of his habits. And very frustrated that he isn't my intellectual equal. He is a good person, though. And he loves me. He shows his love by doing things for me.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

I love you too, Suze.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

He texted me a pic of the creek behind our house, in the woods, and typed: You miss moments.

It makes me so sad.

He is right. I stay inside, engrossed in what I'm doing here, and I miss moments of life with him.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Oh love.....I very much like what Ann and Gilmer were talking about. I think the idea of scheduling time together can really work...then there will always be moments you share.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
He texted me a pic of the creek behind our house, in the woods, and typed: You miss moments.

It makes me so sad.

He is right. I stay inside, engrossed in what I'm doing here, and I miss moments of life with him.
Wow, I was all set to make a joke about giving him a "to-do" list four states away (my husband's idea)....but then I read this. Now, I don't know what to think. It sounds like he really does need more time together. These types of things are hard. I am a morning person, my husband is not. That one difference has caused us no end of grief.

My husband and I spend a good part of our time at home doing our own thing around the house -- so we are not lonely, but not constantly together either. But we do take time to eat meals together and chat briefly or share a discovery or idea.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by venuscat View Post
I find the same thing....at almost (Oct) 2 years, my smoking dreams are gone. I was addicted to grass for years before I ever picked up a drink.

Glad your dream didn't upset you Jennie love.

Hello GD love. Hope the stress is behind you now.
Thank you, Suze! Yes, made my deadline and just had a lovely long weekend. So, ready to go tomorrow.

I am glad you are looking forward to your trip to the US. I have visited Australia -- beautiful and interesting country.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:05 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  

Oh J, another thing. I did talk to my husband about this because I wanted his perspective. He thinks he is "clingy and needy" sometimes. That surprised me. I wouldn't necessarily agree. He is perfectly capable of taking care of himself and amusing himself. I think everyone probably has moments when they need to lean on their partner. It just can't be all the time to the point that it's mentally and emotionally draining. Nobody can live with their partner (or even a friend) acting like a vampire.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

I don't know, GHD. I don't believe for a second he 'needs' me. He is able to take care for himself, lol ... we didn't marry until age 34. He must've done something before then. What I perceive as clingy is him attempting to draw me into what he's doing. Or, rather, draw me out of my 'shell' ... out of this room.

The problem I have is that another adult is wanting me to change. Wants me to do and be something I don't want, at times. I just get the feeling or sense that he is trying to 'correct' something he sees as a flaw. That I need to spend more time outside, in the sun, being on the water in the kayak, etc.

Isn't that my job to determine?

Maybe I'm taking it too far? Anyway, just posting here to get some outside feedback. And you all have some great feedback, so thank you.

And, Gilmer, great to see you here!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:05 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

One more thought ... it is just really aggravating and bothersome to me that he urges me away from my reading and writing. Sometimes he only interrupts, but that is a big deal to me. It can mean the difference in me getting something worked out in my mind or not. There's a block that goes up, and then anger.

He met me before I was sober, before I'd put into action the multi-hour reading/writing habit per day that I do now. He knew me just before all this. I was writing for a few clients, but that didn't take up too much time. I wasn't reading or writing for myself anymore by then, because of the drinking. It was very rare, anyway.

So, I think he might not understand this is permanent. I have explained to him that it is permanent. I will always do this. And I have asked him not to interrupt me. Sometimes I have to get him out of my office, still. He has failed to set up his own office space. That room is still a mess. I don't push him to do it anymore. But when it's time for me to sit at my desk, he knows he has to go.

We just aren't working 'together' very well yet. It's not a smooth process.

You would think a 39-year old man would respect my space, my time, etc.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:07 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

HI, J! It's nice to be back.

I agree, it is a bad thing if he thinks a part of your basic constitution is a flaw to be corrected.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Gilmer, for some reason, I have faced this with just about every guy I've dated. If one person is mostly OK being themselves (maybe perceived as stubborn), does that make it irresistible to the other person to try and effect change?
Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Maybe because you are so self-contained they struggle with feeling irrelevant to you.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

That might be it. Or part of it.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

J darling ~ the way I see it is he loves you, and wants to spend time with you. Share all of this beauty with you....but I understand your need for solitude while you work. I can be that way too...and I need an interruption-free zone.

This is you, this is what you need...perhaps you might need to adjust the amount of time you do this sometimes, so you can have some time with Brian. I would hope he will understand....

Maybe you can have coffee or hot chocolate on the porch in your lovely chairs again, and talk to each other.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I'm looking forward to fall weather so we can sit out there on the porch comfortably, Suze. It's still sweltering here.

I took some extra time after dinner tonight and gave him a massage. He loved it. Maybe I will read to him from our Moomin book, lol.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

I can no longer put off the chore of getting new tires on the SUV. Here, waiting, and reading my Kindle. Nice time to catch up on news, blogs, and periodicals.

It feels like 100F outside today. Sweltering.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:38 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's been hot here too really humid I currently have a fan on hope the weather eases up soon x
Old 09-07-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  

Really it hope it cools down for you guys soon.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  

I am working three days straight and then on Monday as well. Won't be posting much until Tuesday more than likely.

See y'all soon.