Notices

Alcoholism Centers in the Mind

Old 07-24-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Rise View Post
Not everyone believes that alcohol issues are caused by a "spiritual malady". IMO, if a person isn't drinking, they are sober. They aren't dry drunks or untreated alcoholics or anything else other than sober human beings. Whether they attend meetings, work steps or pray everyday is irrelevant. Please understand that AA beliefs and ideas about alcoholism are not universally accepted in the recovery community, and AA is not the final authority on alcoholism and recovery. There are many paths to a quality sobriety and AA is only one path, so comments that assume everyone in recovery just accepts AA beliefs tend to be off-putting.
I'm not trying to argue, disagree or anything....but can you explain? I would argue that AA IS the authority on alcoholism....up until 81 years ago, they didn't know what to do with alcoholics.....they locked them in psych wards. There was no recovery for alcoholics before. Yes, ppl who abused alcohol got sober by different means. But ALCOHOLICS were hopeless until about 81 years ago ( when AA began ) so if that doesn't make it the authority on alcoholism.....what is? Even the Bible references alcoholics, who were hopeless. There was no solution then, there was no solution 82 years ago. So if not the authority, then what is? ( hope this doesn't sound rude or like I'm saying you're wrong or anything. I'm just truly curious )
Old 07-24-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by GratefulJunkie View Post
I'm not trying to argue, disagree or anything....but can you explain? I would argue that AA IS the authority on alcoholism....up until 81 years ago, they didn't know what to do with alcoholics.....they locked them in psych wards. There was no recovery for alcoholics before. Yes, ppl who abused alcohol got sober by different means. But ALCOHOLICS were hopeless until about 81 years ago ( when AA began ) so if that doesn't make it the authority on alcoholism.....what is? Even the Bible references alcoholics, who were hopeless. There was no solution then, there was no solution 82 years ago. So if not the authority, then what is? ( hope this doesn't sound rude or like I'm saying you're wrong or anything. I'm just truly curious )
Hi GratefulJunkie, you raise a good question.

I agree with the poster that you were responding to that alcohol issues are not caused by a spiritual malady. The issues could be caused by any number of things from grief, mental illness, youthful high spirits, or the early stages of alcohol used disorder as it is now called.

But those are completely different things to alcoholism as I have come to know it. Here we are talking about a brain disease that is genetic and often manifests after some environmental factor has activated the gene.

In AA it is acknowledged that most alcoholics could have quit easily at some earlier point in their drinking, but also stated that most (of my type) would not have because there wasn't any particularly good reason at the time.

AA literature give a pretty good description of what it sees as a particular type of alcoholic (my type), the hopeless variety. I look at that material and can see how closely it fits my experience. That's me.

The nex guy takes a look and says well "I'm definitely NOT powerless over alcohol" but I am still an alcoholic and can sort things out for myself without any "hocus pocus". That's all fine and dandy. For such an alcoholic there are many paths to sobriety I guess.

But for my type the story is different. The spiritual malady was there, it may in fact have been caused by the my alcoholism which had progressed to the severe end of the alcohol use disorder scale.

For me there was no other path to recovery than the spiritual method used in AA. I tried every other path I could find btw. Again, I stress that I was a hopeless, chronic, powerless over alcohol alcoholic, and not all alcoholics, by today's definitions, consider themselves in that class.

I don't think AA claims to be an authority on alcoholism. It doesn't conduct any research for example. AA says to the chronic alcoholic "we simply have a way out that works with us". I might add, if you are one of us, you might find there are no other options.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Your post really resenonated with me and found it super useful in my recovery. Your post really helped provide me with a different perspective on not being able to manage all parts of my life especially dwelling on the past.

Sometimes, it's better to forgive and lose the anger, as that person you may be so mad at probably isn't even thinking of you anymore.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

GottaLife, thanks for your input on it. I definitely can agree with all you said. And it all makes a lot of sense. I guess the term 'alcoholic' has become pretty broadened, and the line has become blurred between alcoholic, and alcohol abuser etc...which is not necessarily bad. I also agree that AA doesn't claim to be the authority, however that doesn't mean they aren't. All good stuff to think about, and definitely a lot of stuff you said fits right in with my experience and belief. But I guess the fact is, everybody needs/has a right to recovery. And if my thinking becomes closed off, or I'm not open to other ideas etc, that's when I'm trying to assert 'my own power' on a situation, and going directly against my own program...a dangerous place for me and my alcoholic mind.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I agree with Grateful and Gotta completely.

For me, God and AA have gotten and kept me sober for a few 24 hours.

I am certain that my alcoholism has a brain chemistry component and that the solution is spiritual.

YMMV, but this is what has worked for me, and I'm not about to experiment with another avenue.

I have too much invested in staying sober (namely, the rest of my life).
Old 07-25-2016, 12:26 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GratefulJunkie View Post
Welcome to the Sober Recovery forums Grateful. No, your comments did not sound rude at all. I try to be open to all recovery ideas.

However, I'm afraid I'll have to decline an attempt to answer your questions. I've recently decided to avoid discussing AA and other 12-Step programs except to offer them as one of many recovery options for anyone seeking sobriety or freedom from addiction.

Unfortunately, discussions about 12-Step beliefs and doctrine usually end up becoming contentious and emotional, and that tends to just generate ill-will (and I acknowledge my own poor behavior in such discussions). And that outcome impedes my sobriety and does nothing to help others who are also seeking to obtain or sustain their sobriety. BTW, I'm not suggestion our conversation would take an acrimonious turn, but I prefer to just avoid the risk altogether.

However, I can say that answers to your questions may come to light if you stick around these forums (and I sincerely hope you do), and if you read widely and deeply here. There are so many happy and wise sober members here that it would be a shame if you didn't avail yourself of all this great information and collective wisdom.

Once again, welcome to the SR forums.

T2R
Old 07-25-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Thank you! Glad I found it! And I can definitely agree with your answer. All of it. Because I too, whether intentional or not, can get too caught up in my own side of an argument and begin to take it personal. ( another character defect? Maybe....) but I definitely agree that being closed minded is not the right answer. Just like with a 'God of my understanding'...there are many higher powers that work for others, so there could be many recovery vessels that work for others. I guess it's easy to accept multiple higher powers, because it's a simple idea and one I've experienced. However, AA has been the only program that has afforded me true freedom from my alcoholism. But that's not to say other ideas can't work for other ppl. Guess the bottom line is, we should all be grateful for our sobriety, however we get there. And that is a truly miraculous thing to get to be grateful for! Thanks for the reply! I wish I were such an eloquent speaker ( typer ) as yourself! Lol