Notices

A "One-a-Month" Resolution

Old 07-03-2016, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A "One-a-Month" Resolution

And no, I'm not talking one drink a month!!!

So, after a month of sobriety (33 days and counting... ), I kind of realized that, hey, I can do it. I managed to quit doing something that my life revolved around. However, in the past few days, I've been feeling pretty crappy so I was thinking of other ways I could improve myself. Luckily that should be easy - I have tons of bad habits!

This month, I'm giving up energy drinks. I ended up resorting to energy drinks because I was so tired (hungover) all the time when I was drinking. From there, it definitely became an addiction. Since quitting drinking my red bull consumption has gone way up. On some level, I was consciously replacing alcohol with red bull. At work, I'd think that I'm not entertaining enough so I'd drink a ton of Red Bull to get a burst of energy. Lately, I've been getting headaches and getting dizzy when I bend over and get back up too quickly. Probably from drinking 70+ ounces of red bull in a day.

Today was my first day without. That's not to say I've given up caffeine entirely. I had 5 cups of coffee and 2 sodas. I'm not cutting it all out this month because I know I'll get horrendous headaches, and then I'll give up. I picked a big change this month, but I think I'm going to feel a lot better.

The next few months will probably be smaller things. I think next month I'll cut out all soda, that way I'll just be drinking coffee and water! I'm also a cigarette smoker, but I don't feel comfortable enough in my sobriety to give it up. I know that right now I don't want to quit enough (even though I should...) to be successful, and I think a failure would be a pretty setback for me. I don't deal well with failure! Haha.

I'm already feeling better today, and each month I'll have something new to work toward. I'm in an extended process of bettering myself and it makes me really happy.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
sober style

I love this idea and am going to steal it to use myself. I'm drinking too much damn coffee right now, that's for sure. Gonna start with that.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Caffeine is my only addiction left whether it is coffee or tea. I know I need to cut way down but I'm not ready yet.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Love this idea! I am going to try it to -thanks for sharing!
Old 07-04-2016, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh I like this! I also like the idea of doing it after one whole month of sobriety. I'll be revisiting this post in a few weeks for ideas. I'll probably have a heavy Ben and Jerry's addiction to kick to the curb by that time.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am on board. Been promising to do Whole 30, which means more than one for me this month, but I love the concept, so I am in -- the Whole way.

Thanks for the great idea -- already thinking about so what will it be next month....
Old 07-04-2016, 08:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SvI

I'm on board as well. I definitely replaced alcohol with coffee and tons of mineral water. As a result, 2 months into my sobriety, my insomnia is the only alcoholic symptom that hasn't improved and my teeth hurt from all the carbonation. It's better habits but not good ones!
Old 07-04-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

What's "Whole 30?"

Originally Posted by Dropsie View Post
I am on board. Been promising to do Whole 30, which means more than one for me this month, but I love the concept, so I am in -- the Whole way.

Thanks for the great idea -- already thinking about so what will it be next month....
Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad you guys think this is a good idea and want to do it, too. You have made my day today. Keep me posted on how it's going!