Notices

Free Rehab Salvation Army

Old 07-01-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Free Rehab Salvation Army

I am curious about the Salvation Army rehab. I can't afford to pay so I'm willing to work for six months. I don't know what to expect, haven't found much online and I'm expecting jail type conditions, but that's in my head.

Well they don't answer their phones at the Salvation Army, so I went down there Wednesday to find out. They breathalyzed me, I'd drank the night before couldn't sleep and drank a little after that. I slept for a few hours and when I got there I blew a .195. I thought I was completely sober. Anyway, I learned it's 30 days no contact, but not much else because I didn't ask questions. Left messages, nobody answers the phone so I have no idea what to pack or what happens after the 30 days. I have to do it so it doesn't really matter, but it's not leaving me feeling great about how it's run. Going down on Tuesday to get in or get info.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Basically, I was asking if anyone had experience with Salvation Army rehab and what it's like and what to expect. What happens the first thirty days and after that.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it's like it is here, it's not governent funded and a lot of its workers are volunteers.

Maybe you should jot down some questions this time and go down there in person again?

D
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wasn't prepared when I went, but I'm trying to get in as quick as I can. Going on Tuesday to either enter or find out.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I promise to let everybody know when I get out what it was like. There's too little info on it!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Jarredmud,
Tomorrow morning is my Big Book Study. Off the top of my head I know of a half dozen guys who lived at the Salvation Army in Pasadena. ITs where they got their start after getting out of prison or homeless in L.A.
I just wanted you to know , from what I hear when they share about the S.A. It saved their lives.
I'm sorry I don't know the exact info. I agree ask questions, be willing and ask yourself, " Am I willing to go to any length to be and stay sober?"
Best of everything to you,
Bobbi
Old 07-01-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BarbieKen View Post
Hi Jarredmud,
Tomorrow morning is my Big Book Study. Off the top of my head I know of a half dozen guys who lived at the Salvation Army in Pasadena. ITs where they got their start after getting out of prison or homeless in L.A.
I just wanted you to know , from what I hear when they share about the S.A. It saved their lives.
I'm sorry I don't know the exact info. I agree ask questions, be willing and ask yourself, " Am I willing to go to any length to be and stay sober?"
Best of everything to you,
Bobbi
Thank you! I'm going no matter what, but I just don't know what to expect.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is the thread I care about.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i know quite a few people that got sober through the salvation army rehab in metro Detroit.

what to expect? welp, might be wise to expect nothing more than help getting sober. how that help is going to occur, don't have any expectations about that. that way it will be much better for you.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Some on the F&F side of the board have known folks who have used the SA rehab. I have only heard good things from them about the program and the people.

Always good to be prepared with questions! Good luck!!
Old 07-02-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you are really ready--that and a solid, long term program like SA should equal success--good luck JM
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Like the others, I have heard good things about SA. I attended a no cost detox, probably similar to SA which doesn't have a facility in my state. It was bare bones but very effective.

Because the rooms are dorm style we weren't allowed to bring in more than a small bag. But its rehab so comfy clothes, robe, slippers. I also brought my own pillow and comforter, which most places allow.

Good luck!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The Sallys have the government contract for free rehab in NZ. They tell the inmates that they have a 2% success rate. They have in some places a cooperative relationship with AA, but not in my hometown. None of the AA recovered members supported the meeting so it ended up being run by a couple of very sick people and the Sallys closed it down. It was not good for their customers.

They also run a recovery church, and quite a lot of people stick with that rather than AA. The only problem is it limits how far and how long you can travel.

I think they do better than 2% BTW, that may be just a scare tactic.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have a friend in my AA group that got sober at a Salvation Army in AZ, he's a big advocate and donor now, he's been sober for 25 years!

Go for it!! Give it your all!! Wishing you the best!
Old 07-02-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Is this what you're doing? The Salvation Army - Adult Rehabilitation
Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've heard good things about the Salvation Army.

Like anything else - what you put into it is what you get out of it.

Go for it and give it ALL you have!!!!!
Old 07-03-2016, 05:42 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by JarredMud View Post
...I can't afford to pay so I'm willing to work for six months. I don't know what to expect, haven't found much online and I'm expecting jail type conditions, but that's in my head...

...I went down there Wednesday...They breathalyzed me...when I got there I blew a .195. I thought I was completely sober. Anyway, I learned it's 30 days no contact, but not much else...because I didn't ask questions...I have no idea...what happens after the 30 days. I have to do it so it doesn't really matter, but it's not leaving me feeling great about how it's run. Going down on Tuesday to get in or get info.
...There's too little info on it!
There's quite a bot of info available...............I found this information online.............................:

"The only real requirement for admission into a Salvation Army drug rehab program is that you be sober at the time of entry (your .195 would not qualify)..." Salvation does NOT offer detox.

"...that you be willing to participate in a faith based recovery program and also be willing to pay your way through the rehab by working in the Salvation Army stores and peripheral programs..."

"Residents in a Salvation Army drug rehab, which run for anywhere from 3 months to 9 months in duration, are provided with food, clothing and accommodation, and given access to treatment, bible study, education and work training programs..."

"Because the Salvation Army is an evangelical Christian organization, faith based methods of recovery are emphasized. The 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous or narcotics anonymous are customarily employed, and recovering addicts will participate in daily 12 steps style or other group recovery meetings..."

"Additionally, bible and scripture study with an emphasis on readings related to spiritual healing and recovery are emphasized. Christian counseling with church leaders and Sunday worship are also encouraged..."

"Works as therapy is emphasized in a Salvation Army drug rehab, and recovering addicts are required to help offset the costs of their stay by working in the Salvation Army stores, driving Salvation Army trucks, or otherwise working within the organization. The Salvation Army philosophy of recovery calls for work therapy as a way to re build needed employment skills and personal responsibility, as well as a way to transition safely back into the world of employment and temptation having already learned how to work within a structured and temptation free environment."

Hope this helps you some..................

(o:
Old 07-11-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

S.A. sent me to detox and they steered me toward an outpatient program.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Cool

S.A. sent me to detox and they steered me toward an outpatient program.
Goodonya JM. Ya know; you don't have to do the outpatient just because that's where the detox sent you. Your recovery is your recovery; you can always go back to the Sally is you choose. Keep on trudgin.'

(o:
Old 07-12-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

How are you feeling?
I hope you choose the rehab--it can really help you get the tools and time
to stay sober for life.