Notices

Look at the insanity

Old 07-01-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Look at the insanity

Hi folks. I was driving by one of my old drinking holes this afternoon and couldn't help but think how far my sobriety has taken me. I used to sit in there for hours at a time during the afternoon and suck down whiskey and coke like it was water. Here's my point. I thought that was how life was supposed to be. I used alcohol to escape stress and every day mundane problems. Here's the insanity, the problems I was having was caused by the alcohol. I was stuck in this cycle of alcoholism and I thought it was normal to be that way. After being sober over 3 years I now see the insanity of this disease. You really have to look at yourself outside of yourself to see just how crazy you had become. And that's where this disease can do you in. If you don't recognize the insanity you'll continue drinking. Just my experience.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It is pretty amazing what lengths we went to in order to prolong our suffering. I'm so thankful to have found this community and sobriety itself, I shudder to think what would have become of me if I hadn't.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I appreciate you sharing those thoughts, and I agree 100%. We don't realize how out of whack we really are until we step back and see things clearly.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by waynetheking View Post
Here's my point. I thought that was how life was supposed to be. I used alcohol to escape stress and every day mundane problems. Here's the insanity, the problems I was having was caused by the alcohol.
Yep. I noticed the exact same thing after getting sober. Not all of my problems but most of them.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't even know who I am. Before I started drinking I was told to go to the open mike comedy club and I was a fun guy. I don't think I've been a fun guy the last 10 years. I can't wait to find out who I am.