SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Sugar!!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/393691-sugar.html)

TrapezeFreak 06-28-2016 11:44 AM

Sugar!!!

I'm 2 months sober and am really feeling well. However I do notice that I have a ravenous appetite as well as the usual sugar cravings that go with no longer consuming booze. I've always been a healthy eater and even was at my peak of alcoholism. I still eat well but am definitely consuming more sugar than I want. Does anyone have any relation to this? I know there is no answer as we are all different but has anybody experienced this urge lessening as time goes by?

Thanks
TF

biminiblue 06-28-2016 11:48 AM

I ate a lot of sugar/carbs in early days. I didn't really get a handle on it until about 6-8 months in. I only gained a couple pounds though.

Ice cream cures cravings - and I milked that fact for as long as possible! It's a pretty common occurrence during early recovery.

uncorked 06-28-2016 05:00 PM

I'm 8 months sober and still eat way too much sugar. I figure it's better than alcohol....but still.

August252015 06-28-2016 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by biminiblue (Post 6019644)
I ate a lot of sugar/carbs in early days. I didn't really get a handle on it until about 6-8 months in. I only gained a couple pounds though.

Ice cream cures cravings - and I milked that fact for as long as possible! It's a pretty common occurrence during early recovery.

YEP! This pretty much sums me up. Carbs- fries. Sugar- ice cream.

Confession? I got my updated lab tests, most importantly for my liver function (all normal, praise God, which in 4mos is a miracle from where I was, on death's door) but DIDN'T do an office visit because I want to lose my ice cream tummy before I see my dr for a check up. He told me back in Mar to watch out for the middle weight gain (once my liver un- protruded!) so I want to be ok when I see him. Vain, yes?

I turn 40 in August so my plan is to have it gone by then. I am nearing 5mos and for the past 2, 2 1/2 ice cream has been my nemesis.

Must go clean out the freezer...

I am picking up my running frequency and distance so that plus adjusting my diet surely will do it.

least 06-28-2016 05:23 PM

I had sugar cravings for the first year or so, actually I craved dark chocolate. But in time it settled down and now I eat normal portions of sweets, nothing excessive.

zjw 06-28-2016 05:35 PM

I eat nothing but high carb low fat vegan stuff feel great tons of energy and no weight gain. So it's not always bad to shovel in the carbs it's just be sure to pick good stuff like fruit is all.

JD 06-28-2016 06:21 PM

I'm almost 10 months and I'm eating chocolate right now, ugh

Hevyn 06-28-2016 06:26 PM

TF - I definitely couldn't get enough sugar the first few months. Ice cream, chocolate, pastries, cookies - anything. :) Even lollipops. It all settled down though.

Congratulations on your 2 months sober. :)

Forward12 06-28-2016 07:57 PM

Same here, I never really liked sugary things, but once I stopped drinking, I've had this odd craving to chow down candy bars and other things of the sort like crazy.

leviathan 06-29-2016 12:26 PM

I let myself go to town the first year with sugar. After the way I was used to treating myself, this seemed an acceptable improvement. My spouse helped me with consuming enough nutritious stuff.

Somewhere into the second year, I started paying attention and weaning down. I cant say it was easy, but now I'm pretty happy about my intake (rare). Now that I don't consume sugar all of the time its more of a treat when I do.

TheEnd 06-29-2016 04:21 PM

I went from not liking Cake, to actually enjoying it when I quit drinking and even sometimes crave it.