Notices

Post Acute Withdrawl

Old 09-27-2004, 05:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Post Acute Withdrawl

Post Acute Withdrawl, at least that's what my recovery counselor tells me it is. I have 81 days sober, it's the first time I've managed to put any time together since I started drinking daily about 5 years ago. I drank longer than that, of course, but the last 5 were a steep, steady decline into a rough bottom.

I go to AA, anywhere from 2 to 7 meetings a week. I have a therapist at a recovery center & a sponsor. I don't think about drinking very much anymore. Sure, the cravings are still there, but they are more like momentary thoughts rather than all-day long cravings.

I have days where I can see the wonderful gift of sobriety. But I also have days when I just don't seem to be able to get my emotions together enough to see beyond whatever emotion is eating at me at the time. I know about that roller coaster of emotions that comes with new sobriety. I just wish I knew when it would end.

I also have so much trouble with memory & concentration. It seems to be getting WORSE the longer I go without a drink.

I know this will get better. In the first month and a half I slept all the time. Constantly, whenever I could. I was lucky enough to not have insomnia like most do. That went away. I trust the other issues will also.

Just typing this out has helped me a bit to get a handle on the feeling of unease that I have. Thanks for listening
Old 09-27-2004, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

It's very common, there is a good link in the links and resources forum. Hang in there sounds like you've got in under control!
Old 09-28-2004, 06:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I have days where I can see the wonderful gift of sobriety. But I also have days when I just don't seem to be able to get my emotions together enough to see beyond whatever emotion is eating at me at the time. I know about that roller coaster of emotions that comes with new sobriety. I just wish I knew when it would end.

I also have so much trouble with memory & concentration. It seems to be getting WORSE the longer I go without a drink."

Tell me more about paragraph 1.

Memory and concentration should continue to increase. Are you in a job that is repetative? Does it require new problem solving every day? That type of job should keep your gears well oiled.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey greatful--Congratulations on your accumulating days of sobriety. I can totally relate to what you are saying. Unfortunately, I can't tell you when it will end because I am 7+ months sober and I am still experiencing the symptoms. However, I am sticking with it and recognizing the feelings for what they are and realizing that they will pass.

Hang in there. I am hangin' with you!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-28-2004, 06:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Dan

Post Acute Withdrawal (PAW)
After the symptoms of the acute abstinence syndrome have subsided, the symptoms of post acute withdrawal (PAW) begin to emerge. Post acute withdrawal syndrome is a group of symptoms resulting from neuropsychological (brain and central nervous system) impairments that persist into recovery. PAW surfaces 7 to 14 days into abstinence and grows to a peak intensity over the next three to six months.

The post acute withdrawal syndrome affects thought processes, emotional processes, and memory. Symptoms include problems with abstract thinking, concentration, and memory. The alcoholic also becomes stress sensitive. There is an overreaction to stress and lowered tolerance to stress.

The intelligence of a person is not affected. It is as if the computer in the head is not functioning properly. The impairment can be corrected, but it takes time and it takes some effort.

Sometimes the brain cannot translate short-term memory into long-term memory; so you may forget you were to give Sally a message. Sometimes the information is there, but it is jumbled and confused. You may remember to give Sally the message but give it incorrectly. When the thoughts of recovering alcoholics become chaotic and confusing and when they find themselves unable to concentrate or to remember how they solved problems before, they may believe they are going crazy. They are not. These experiences are normal during recovery and they will pass.

The paradox of recovery is that recovery from neurological impairment requires abstinence, but neurological impairment interferes with the ability to abstain. This means that everything possible must be done to control the effects of PAW while recovery is taking place.

There is a direct relationship between elevated stress and the severity of PAW. Each tends to reinforce the other. Stress aggravates PAW and makes it more severe; the intensity of PAW creates stress which further aggravates PAW. Recovering alcoholics can learn to identify sources of stress and develop skills in decision making and problem solving to help reduce stress. Proper diet, exercise, regular habits, and positive attitudes all play important parts in controlling PAW. Relaxation can be used as a tool to retrain the brain to function properly and to reduce stress. Learning about the symptoms of post acute withdrawal, knowing what to expect, and not overreacting to the symptoms increase the ability to function appropriately and effectively. Remember, the symptoms of PAW will pass with continued sobriety.
http://stjosephs.shin.sk.ca/addictio...omsofrecov.htm

I find that for me, this time around, difficulty in concentration and irritability are the most obvious manifestations. Even though I know what to expect and am prepared for it, it's simply a case of riding it out. Proper diet and activities, rest when needed, and above all, keeping my mind occupied at all times. I find that a PAWS period is the worst time for me to want to just fold up and crawl under the covers.
Worst thing I could do really.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Thanks for the post, Dan. You hit the nail on the head there; that's exactly what I'm going through. I guess I knew it would happen--I just feel like it can't be this bad since I hadn't really been drinking much (for me). Like the article says, the life stress feeds of the PAW and vice versa, and I get stuck holding the misfiring neurotransmitters. Luckily, I'm getting tougher every second and will lick this demon for good this time.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Stopping the tornado

Thanks for the encouragement, and the information. I feel so much better knowing that others are going thru it.

I had never had to THINK so much to remember things. The other day, I saw this lady at the store & I thought she looked familiar. I spent about 30 mins trying to figure out where I knew her from. I finally realized that she looked like one of the ladies that was on the Dr. Phil weight loss challenge. She wasn't someone I knew, just looked like that lady. I really thought I was going nuts. I know it is part of the PAW. However, I think it also suggests I spent entirely too much time watching TV while drunk. My brain didn't process what I saw correctly & probably didn't know how to retain the info since I was drunk.

Weird, can't wait until it goes away.