SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Is alcoholism a disease like any physical disease? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/393611-alcoholism-disease-like-any-physical-disease.html)

jay37 06-26-2016 09:05 PM

Is alcoholism a disease like any physical disease?

Is alcoholism a disease like any physical disease? I guess I would consider it more of a mental disorder like depression or anxiety. Not exactly a physical disease like cancer I would think.

Anyway my larger point is are most people who drink to much alcoholics or simply irresponsible assholes in your opinion? Or both I guess. I have times when I drank to much but I don't think I have an addiction or compulsion to drink. Just kind of like to get drunk every now and then and have a good time. Its not that I cant stop drinking. The other night I went into a bar and had one beer and that was it. Never had a dui or lost a job due to the bottle. Maybe drink about once a week maybe 4 or 5 beers at a time. Anyway where is the line between someone who drinks and someone who has a drinking problem?

biminiblue 06-26-2016 09:08 PM

Here, read this sticky post. It's at the top of the Alcoholism forum.

Your question is one we all wrestle with - this thread I'm linking has a good medical side explanation.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

TheEnd 06-26-2016 09:14 PM

Alcoholism doesn't even really exist if you want to get technical. When they diagnose you according to the DSM-V, you are either alcohol dependent or an alcohol abuser. That being said maybe you're an alcohol abuser. Or maybe there is more going on with you, because you joined this board back in 2014 and you're still coming back? So it's like one of those things you have to sit down and ask yourself. Do I have a problem with alcohol? And be serious about this answer, because it's not something physical where you can go to the doctor and get an MRI and look forward to the results.

Forward12 06-26-2016 09:39 PM

In my opinion no, it's not a disease, though I can see what AA is getting at as diseases are things that get worse over time, and alcoholism for sure does that.

ScottFromWI 06-26-2016 09:50 PM

Can I ask why you are here starting these threads if you don't have a drinking problem Jay?

Gottalife 06-27-2016 02:25 AM

AA doesn't call it a disease. We use words like illness and malady.

A couple of years back our lead researcher in this field, psychiatrist professor Doug Selman told us in a public meeting that it is primarily a brain disease and can be seen on the MRI. He also talked about a genetic component.

In one sense, as a disease, it certainly has a very specific set of symptoms and consequences and is highly predictable in how it will progress. A confusing element is the fact that it appears the sufferer inflicts it on himslef. Yet that is far from the case. Who in their right mind would choose alcoholic hell as a way of life?

However, heart problems and diabetes are diseases that can be self inflicted (lifestyle disease), yet they are still called diseases, even though the sufferer may have considerably more choice in their development.

Loss of choice, for the alcoholic /addict is a crucial element, though it is often disputed by those who have never lost the power of choice. It can be approached in two ways.

Firstly we could tell the sufferer that it is just a matter of choice, that he needs to toughen up, that his relapses are a sign of weakness, lack of committment, gutlessness, bad choices, that he is consistantly choosing to drink, and should just stop like everybody else does.

Or we might consider there is more to it, that the alcoholic is suffering from an illness or disease that is progressive and has a very definite pathology. We could recognise as, in almost any other disease, it is not a matter of choice. We can explain that there is a solution, a specific treatment for the illness which is known to be successful, and we could also empathise in that many of us (alcoholics) have struggled with this disease and been unable to beat it on our own. It is not a matter of weakness or strength, intelligence or lack thereof, it is simply a disease progressing in a specific way. And we know for even the hopeless cases like myself, it can be arrested if we choose/are willing to take the medicine.

Ken33xx 06-27-2016 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 6017343)
Can I ask why you are here starting these threads if you don't have a drinking problem Jay?

Lol. Exactly.

entropy1964 06-27-2016 05:41 AM

It sounds like you are trying to figure out where you are on the spectrum of addiction. You're comparing and judging. That's normal.

Whether or not you are alcoholic is up to you. If you have negative consequences from your drinking, then its a problem. If you can't stop, then its an addiction.

TheEnd 06-27-2016 07:30 AM

Probably trying to rationalize and get answers like we all did at one point in our drinking lives, before we made the change for the better.

SoberCAH 06-27-2016 08:40 AM

I will recuse myself from the debating society on this topic.

cejay 06-27-2016 12:05 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diseas..._of_alcoholism

*mic drop, walks out.

freshstart57 06-27-2016 12:11 PM

cejay, did you read your own link?

Another study found that only 25 percent of physicians believed that alcoholism is a disease.
It seems that we have medical doctors, professionals, who disagree with what lay people are telling them about their own business.

Dropping the mic might be a little premature here.

KAD 06-27-2016 12:55 PM

At this point, I don't really invest much time splitting hairs about what to label my addiction. Whether it's called disease, addiction, illness, sickness, affliction, insanity, etc... it really doesn't impact what I'm doing to address it, especially since what I'm doing is working. It's also helping to make me an all-around better person in the meantime.

I wasted a lot of years, most of those years, avoiding the one thing that is working for me now simply because I couldn't accept the disease-model of addiction. Meanwhile, I kept getting drunk. I kept getting sicker. But I finally got to the point where what we call it is irrelevant to me. If anyone asks, I usually call it an illness. I avoid the term "disease," simply because it does tend to be polarizing and that detracts from the most important part: recovery. I simply want to live, and I want to do it sober. The way I have chosen is, so far, the only thing that is consistently helping me do that.

thomas11 06-27-2016 05:27 PM

Bingo. Thoroughly think about what Scott has said.

jay37 06-27-2016 06:21 PM

I came here a few years ago and asked a alcohol related questions and found that I enjoyed the forums here. Lots of intelligent people here and most the time I post in the forums on this site they are more general discussion not having to deal with addicition. But every once in a while I will post in the addiction forums if I read or see something in my day to day life that relates to the subject

trachemys 06-27-2016 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by freshstart57 (Post 6018260)
cejay, did you read your own link?

It seems that we have medical doctors, professionals, who disagree with what lay people are telling them about their own business.

Dropping the mic might be a little premature here.

Doctors are practicing.

Practicing.

On us.

Drop the mic and live on.

freshstart57 06-27-2016 08:35 PM

Err, when you use that word I don't think it means what you think it means. Professional practice has a different meaning than practicing your golf swing. You know that, right? Maybe I am the one being thick here?

Maybe you don't like doctors. How does that relate to the OP? Are you saying that some other group knows more about this stuff?