Notices

Would one drink hurt on the weekend?

Old 06-24-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Would one drink hurt on the weekend?

I have been sober for 2 weeks! I get bored on the weekends I can't find anything else to do but drink. I can't sleep at night and my boyfriend drinks every day around me. I have no friends where I moved to. I lost interest in things I use to like to do I guess because I started drinking everyday for 10 years. I have some much energy now that I don't drink I do exercise because I'm on a diet. So not only do I avoid alcohol I also avoid bad food choices too. But I'm just so BORED!!
Old 06-24-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you are an alcoholic then no, even one sip is too much.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Forward12 View Post
If you are an alcoholic then no, even one sip is too much.
Hi, yeah I know but it sucks☹️
Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

It would hurt me, yeah.

I could have all the best intentions in the world, but add that alcohol and, sooner or later, it's anyone's guess where I end up.

You obviously came here cos you have a problem. Unfortunately it's not a problem we can negotiate with.

It's pretty normal to find the weekend hard for a while - why not make some plans to do some fun stuff that need not involve alcohol?

D
Old 06-24-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How about an AA meeting? You'll meet other sober friends and can do stuff with them. Boredom problem solved!
Old 06-24-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

"One" drink....what's that? 😜 I don't think I ever had just one in my entire life.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The "one drink on a weekend" unicorn. We've heard tell of such a creature. Many have gone in search of it- only to find that, for alcoholics, it's just a myth.

If you're an alcoholic, one drink will never be one drink. It will eventually lead back to problem drinking.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kittycat3 View Post
How about an AA meeting? You'll meet other sober friends and can do stuff with them. Boredom problem solved!
Yeah that's what I did.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My one drink turned into three a few nights later turned into 2 months of gradual increase and trying to taper. Times about 17. Soon going into two years of this nonsense.

Not everyone is a binge bender alcoholic. Lots of people fool themselves right back into the deep dark hole of dependency.

From the sneaky, slope and right at the bottom, I beg you- just don't.
If I could take those umpteen one drinks back and save myself from the blind slip and slide I would in a heart beat. It ain't worth it.

Try and look at this way... if you're already reasoning it treat as a relapse BEFORE you take that one drink.

Throw everything you've got at it now. By the time you've taken that one drink it's like you've dug the grave, lowered the coffin in, gotten in to check it out, thought about laying down in there to see what it's like, laid down, closed the lid to see if that's bad, thinking this can't really happen to me, I've gotten out of the hole before, then closed your eyes and let the earth start falling in on you. We just don't get it we'renot digging a new hole- just digging ourselves deeper and it gets harder and harder to climb out. When you dig slow, you don't realize how small that hole of light is getting at the top every time.

So dramatic. It happens so slow and logically for some of us. But it doesn't ever get better when just back in the hole. It just gets harder and harder each time to get out.

Stop digging the hole and get out now. You're already in pretty deep.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

find out
Old 06-24-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the advise instead of me getting a drink I treated myself to ice cream. I know I will thank my self in the morning! I also will be looking into aa meetings this week.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Totalpackage85 View Post
Thanks everyone for the advise instead of me getting a drink I treated myself to ice cream. I know I will thank my self in the morning! I also will be looking into aa meetings this week.
If you just put in AA meetings with the name of your town on Google, then a list will materialise before your very eyes. Looking into it next week will still leave you with the problem of this weekend. Why not Google it now, and go to one today or tomorrow or both?
Old 06-24-2016, 11:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You could start keeping a journal which might help you see all the nice things that are happening now you're not drinking (eg no hangovers, sense of achievement) as well as deal with the things that trouble you. As you write you can probably get a new perspective on your problems, eg loneliness, boyfriend's behaviour.

You're welcome to share as much or as little of the journal with us as you wish.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Just a small tip to short circuit the AA thing. When yoy get to a meeting ask someone who looks like they are doing ok to explain the whole AA deal to you. You could find out in a couple of hours what 50 meetings might not reveal.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Don't do it!!! I quit in 2003 and stayed booze free for 4 years. Then for some crazy reason, I decided I could be a social drinker (there is nothing social about my drinking). It was fine for a while but every time I got stressed about anything it just increased and 5 days ago, after a drink fuelled vile argument with my husband of 9 months, he left and won't be coming back. I am so ashamed of my actions and the pain I have caused him. I am on day 4. I don't have anyone here to support me and I am finding it tough but I will never give into that vile bottle again. I hope one day he will remember the nice, loving and caring me but for now all he remembers is that disgusting vile person that screamed at him all manner of obscenities. At the moment I can't do any exercise as I can't eat due to the sick feeling I have because he is no longer in my life. Please don't do it and ask your partner to support you on your resolve. Be strong - for me it's life or booze and I am choosing life.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If you're like me, and I just recently found out how like me I am, "one drink" leads to a half gallon of vodka. Then you get to go through withdrawals all over again. Whee! That was NOT fun.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Yep - one to two gallons of vodka...
Old 06-25-2016, 04:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
zjw

Yeah I've heard it said a million drinks would not be enough and 1 drink would be too many.

Just one drink would tick me off to no end there is no satisfaction in just one heck there is no satisfaction in 5482842 of em. But in time satisfaction can actually be found in none. It will seem unfair boring and crappy at first but it gets better.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

That (one drink is too many and 10,000 is never enough) is so weird and so true (for me) - lol one drink?!
Old 06-25-2016, 05:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Having healthy hobbies helps aswell