Notices

2nd detox

Old 06-23-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd detox

I've had a detox but failed because I was pressurised into it by a friend. Now i'm ready and waiting, what else can i do to get rid of the shakes and horrible withdrawal? ride it out? whilst i wait for detox?

I buy booze to get rid of the nasty withdrawal and people are telling me i'm not helping myself!!!

yeah, i'll just sit here rattling my off.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Go to the ER. Be honest about your drinking; amount and frequency. Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal. They will give you medications to get through the withdrawal.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why are you "waiting" for detox?

I don't know how much you drink, but if it's significant you might want to get medical help. It can be very dangerous to detox by yourself!!!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Instead of sitting there feeling like you are going crazy (we have ALL been there)- be proactive and productive about it all. If you can't get into a detox center right this moment, go to the hospital and let them know the situation and they will be able to safely detox you and provide you with the proper medication to help you get through this.

Also, it is time to make a recovery plan. First step would be to take accountability for relapsing, no one can make you drink. If you have a friend that is pressuring you into drinking then that person is NOT a friend and it is time to get rid of that person and anyone else that is not supportive of you finding recovery.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Detox without medical help. Is it really dangerous? I have read lots saying that, is that true for all people? I need to stop, not had a drink for 2 days, I need to get a grip on my life and get the booze out of it
Old 06-23-2016, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're in trouble Doubter hit the ER or your local Doctor.
Detox can be dangerous for some of us.

D
Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by JG62 View Post
Detox without medical help. Is it really dangerous? I have read lots saying that, is that true for all people? I need to stop, not had a drink for 2 days, I need to get a grip on my life and get the booze out of it
It really can be dangerous even lethal - the problem is noone knows who's going to run into trouble and who's not.

Not trying to scare you though - if you've not drunk for 2-3 days and you feel ok, don't start panicking now

D
Old 06-23-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

2 days 5hours. I feel dreadful but I think that is probably down to all the emotional stuff, with my husband leaving and not managed anything to eat for 3 days ( I know that's not good) beyond a tiny bit of soup. Just here on my own, not slept very much either. No craving for drink though, the thought makes me feel sick, this is where it has brought me
Old 06-24-2016, 05:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

JG I've been there many times with the awful detox. My most recent two I came close to going to a doctor. I spent four days drinking on vacation and got the shakes the last day when I finally stopped, wasn't sure whether I'd survive the 1hr flight home. I was afraid to sleep because I wasn't sure if my heart would stop. It's scary stuff. Usually I feel much better by the third day sober and after the first good night's sleep. Eventually I'd feel good enough that I could drink again and I'd be off on my next bender and end up in the exact same place: sick, scared and miserable. There's no reason to do this to ourselves. Just don't pick up that first drink!
Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Doubter View Post
I buy booze to get rid of the nasty withdrawal and people are telling me i'm not helping myself!!!
NO NO NO NO!! This is a terrible idea.

Prolonged drinking and keeping alcohol in your body WILL make detoxing work.

You don't know what symptoms you will face, but you will experience some- you just have to stop drinking and go through them. It WILL pass.

Please go ahead and do it - if you want to get well and start to recover. Get assistance if necessary- and I mean medical help, not other people help.

Good luck. Hope to see future posts of you in your beginnings of recovery.
Old 06-24-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JG62 View Post
Maybe think of it this way: if "you have read lots saying that" and we are telling you (us being those in recovery who have been through it ourselves!!) then maybe it is true??

Just a thought.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doubter, check in if you can? Even if you are drinking, we care about you around here.