SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Social Anxiety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/393341-social-anxiety.html)

wshall 06-21-2016 04:08 PM

Social Anxiety

Any advise on how to deal with social anxiety? This was never a issue until I got sober and I'm feeling pretty isolated. Every time I meet new people I get pretty quiet. I still don't feel comfortable in my own skin and I've been sober 702 days. Any advice will be helpful

ZenLifter 06-21-2016 05:19 PM

I'm naturally pretty shy and introverted around new people, but I've gotten a lot better at it because my job is such that I'm meeting new people all the time. In other words I get a lot of practice :)

Did you ever think about trying Meetup? My roommate is always trying to get me to join one of those groups. I tell her I get more than enough social interaction at work, lol.

Dee74 06-21-2016 05:34 PM

I think most of us struggle with being social after we get sober. If I'm honest tho, I was always socially anxious - that's one of the reasons I drank.

Whether that was the case with you or not, give it a little time. Sociability is a skill like anything else.

It's not a skill I'm great at but I can muddle through now.
I accept that I yam what I yam :)

D

KAD 06-21-2016 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6010220)
I think most of us struggle with being social after we get sober. If I'm honest tho, I was always socially anxious - that's one of the reasons I drank.

What Dee said. The first thing that attracted me to alcohol was that my lifelong problem with social anxiety seemed to melt away when I drank it. I became fearless and much more talkative. Funny thing is, as the disease progressed, social anxiety came back with a vengeance, along with isolation, paranoia, avoidance of people and social situations. Since quitting, I still struggle with social anxiety. Can't say whether it's worse or better, but it's definitely still an issue. I'm giving a talk at an AA meeting this Sunday, and I'm about as tense and anxious as I can be over it!

wshall 06-21-2016 06:35 PM

I can relate with everything you said. I remember the first AA meeting I chaired and I was terrified. I was on anti depressants at the time. I don't think I could do it now

wshall 06-21-2016 06:36 PM

I've never heard of Meetup

soberclover 06-22-2016 06:57 AM

What seems to work for me is to just practice, practice, practice.

entropy1964 06-22-2016 07:06 AM

I think its ok to be introverted. I have learned that if I'm feeling quiet in a social setting, I just show interest in others. Ask them questions and let them do the talking. People love to talk about themselves, I like to listen. Win win. And I try to show more interest in them which takes the focus off me. Think less about me and how I'm being perceived and more about them. Accepting me as I am and not worrying about what others think of me helps.

Centered3 06-22-2016 09:22 AM

Still a work in progress. I've had times in sobriety where my social anxiety was practically non existent, and I've had times where it hasn't been this high since middle school.

When I am able to let go of the self-centered fear, I am much more calm and relaxed and then socializing almost becomes natural.

When I say something wrong, I try to let it go and not make the same mistake next time.

The more authentic I allow myself to be, the easier it gets.

AdelineRose 06-22-2016 09:27 AM

Be easy with yourself, rebuilding out self confidence, self worth, and our place in the world can take time after getting sober.

Anxiety is one of the things that I have had to accept and deal with since getting sober. I have found the more I work on my recovery, the more sure I am of myself and the more I am able to handle my anxiety. I have also found working out, meditation, and practicing different breathing exersices has really helped. Counseling and medication have also really helped me.

tangningsheng 06-22-2016 09:28 AM

I think it's just important to be yourself. For me, it was hard but once I realized that I am happy with myself people that you want in will be there for you.

oldsoul112249 06-22-2016 12:50 PM

I'm introverted and have a tendency to isolate. What helps me is to strike something up with people when I'm out in public. Mostly in grocery stores. It could be a question or commenting on something, giving a compliment. I'm surprised at how many people are responsive, welcome it and love the smiles and a bit of attention, they could be lonely.