SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I have HALF A YEAR sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/393334-i-have-half-year-sober.html)

sleepie 06-21-2016 02:35 PM

I have HALF A YEAR sober

That's me, crowin'. Because I beat not one but two addictive substances. I have had some near misses and close calls but I avoided it even though I was gritting my teeth and sometimes in tears, no matter what I just did NOT do that one thing- give in to relieving substances.

I was out to do an errand today and stopped to grab a salad. Go to pay for it and my card is declined. So I say "Whoops I gotta take care of something" and start to jet outta there and the lady behind me who I was chatting with previously pays for it. I try and give her the few bucks I have on me and she says "Just go and have a great day!" and laughs.

IRL random act of kindness. She reminded me that despite being an alkie I am no less than any other human being. Despite what I have been told, despite what led me to befriend alcohol for so long and despite my grey matter I am a life, I matter. My story is valid.

All that from a free salad. How could she know she bought me lunch on my 6 month anniversary? Thank you kind lady.

Anyway so I'm gonna do what the lady said. I'm gonna have a great day.

What are you guys gonna do and who is struggling and what can we next time? I'll share some of my strategies that got me this far. Because despite being near paralyzed with sadness and anxieties I still had to actively change things and I did.

Bubovski 06-21-2016 02:55 PM

Congrats!:You_Rock_ I'm back in early days after a slip.
These days I see alcohol as totally non negotiable, irrespective

Might sound a bit cocky, but over a few decades Iv'e done the 'analysis' stuff to death:headbange.........so it's ODAAT ad INFINITUM or bust!

Dropsie 06-21-2016 02:56 PM

Sleeps,

I am so proud of you my friend.

And I am so happy that someone bought you lunch. For me, its about the little things.

XXXX

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:00 PM

Thanks guys.

I was never one for analysis and maybe that's a good thing because sometimes you have to just focus narrowly on one thing and just not drink.

Often simplicity works best.

Dee74 06-21-2016 03:01 PM

6 months is a great achievement - congrats Sleepie :)

D

trachemys 06-21-2016 03:02 PM

Yay, sleepie! Not for a free salad, although that's nice of her, but on your six months!

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:12 PM

Ok so what happened Trach? I am mystified by one who stumbles, with supportive family and all. What was it?

Hawkeye13 06-21-2016 03:15 PM

You have done a fantastic job kicking not only alcohol but benzos as well.
A lot of people never manage to beat one addiction, let alone two.
That's something to be really proud of-- I just had my six month sobriety anniversary as well,
and it feels good, doesn't it?

Free of addiction, our lives can expand and grow in healthy and fulfilling ways.
That's my plan for the next six months--I'm really happy you are having a great
anniversary day sleepie :)

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:18 PM

That's cool Hawk congrats to you too :hug:

I am not waiting for any pink cloud that's not gonna happen ever... but that despite feeling down often and anxious always and I still remain sober, I hope that will encourage others who feel the same. It can be done,

least 06-21-2016 03:21 PM

I am tickled pink for you! :hug: It is especially great due to battling two substances, not just alcohol. :scoregood

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:23 PM

The benzos were the harder of the 2. Because it really messes with you when you try and quit. You have no choice but to wait.

fantail 06-21-2016 03:25 PM

Congratulations Sleepie :) You have worked so hard for this, I'm so happy for you.

Congrats to you too Hawkeye!

sugarbear1 06-21-2016 03:26 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! Keep moving forward!

zjw 06-21-2016 03:40 PM

I am no less than any other human being.
we all die and rot the same way the vultures will pick any one of our bones just the same.

Congrats on the 6 months!

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:43 PM

LOL omg zjw

AdelineRose 06-21-2016 03:47 PM

Congrats!

The smallest acts of kindness can really make a huge impact on us. I try to remember that and try to put in the effort to do those little things since you never know what someone is going through.

Keep up the great work! :)

trachemys 06-21-2016 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by sleepie (Post 6009979)
Ok so what happened Trach? I am mystified by one who stumbles, with supportive family and all. What was it?

Mainly, I wanted to try to moderate. All my supportive family has gone back to drinking. My 80 something mother even asked me if I couldn't have a glass of wine with them. My sister with the addict hubby, now justifies weekend cocktails while he went way over the wall on Lortab.

I don't blame any of them. Mom and Dad can have their tipple. More than one or two and they're asleep.

The other sister has basically quit...just because. She's gone healthy.

I wanted to be able to moderate. To have one or two. To share with people.

I can't. One becomes dozens. I can still put it away like I never quit. And after a couple of days of that, I'm death on two feet.

Pondlady 06-21-2016 03:51 PM

Yeah for sleepie :) I'm really happy for you!

sleepie 06-21-2016 03:57 PM

Well I guess I understand how that can be, I watch my bf enjoy nice relaxing drinks after a hard day while I white knuckle it. Watch all my friends drink too. I just... I don't know, stick to it though. After awhile it doesn't appeal as much but there are spikes like when you are just sick of it and there is no relief.

I really don't know, I mean I cannot say life is better for me but I just keep doing it. I know zjw said things were not peachy at 6 months so I'll just keep going or as Cow says "keepa go".

What will you do next time instead Trach?

I think I'd like to make a small list of things a person can do while trying to achieve sobriety under the heavy weights of anxiety and sadness and generally like if you aren't a pink cloud type. But I have a lot of threads lately.

Hevyn 06-21-2016 04:04 PM

6 months - so fabulous, Sleepie. Thank you for the encouraging, hopeful post.