Notices

Proud to have tied one on with my gradson!

Old 09-26-2004, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mostly Sunny Skies

Proud to have tied one on with my gradson!

Friday night, my grandson and I each tied one on. We finally stumbled into our respective beds about midnight. Around sunup, we awoke each other in a serious fog.

Absolutely no remorse! I am proud of what we did!

As the sun arose on Saturday morning, the fog slowly burned off our mountaintop. The valley below was shrouded in a thousand feet of bright-white clouds.

The night before, my 9-year-old grandson and I tied “bugs” made out of squirrel fur and deer hair from critters that had been in recent fatal road accidents.

We “tied one on” each of our lines.

The canoe and fishing equipment was loaded. We headed down the mountain into the fog.

Fishing was great. As big colorful turtles, grouchy herons, and a beaver watched us, our home-made bugs helped load our stringers with fat autumn sunfish from our favorite fishing hole.

For over 30 years, a stringer full of fish cleaning usually meant 3 to 4 beers. It was a trigger I had to be aware of. A single cup of coffee got me through these two stringers.

The fish we caught yesterday were enough for a party. Usually this was just another occasion for more beer, wine, and booze.

Getting the cornbread ready, and cooking such a mess of fish, was usually worth at least three or four beers, or two or three good-sized glasses of wine. The meal had to be washed down with wine or beer. An aperitif of homemade brandy, or some other strong brew would top off the meal.

Things sure have changed in recent years. All of the friends who showed up today are either never-drinkers or former drinkers. Our old friends, who still drink, weren’t invited.

They missed out. We didn’t miss the action.

No fights! No throwing up in the bushes!

Life may be a little duller. But it sure is fun. What a great day to be sober!

Toivo
Old 09-26-2004, 07:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you....glad you had fun!
Old 09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

GREAT STORY S/P.
I COULD PICTURE IN MY MIND....TAKE ME HOME COUNTRY ROAD.
THANKS.................ted
Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great story Toivo.... your grandson must have thoroughly enjoyed himself too
Old 09-26-2004, 08:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Soumi Poika

Absolutely no remorse! I am proud of what we did!

The night before, my 9-year-old grandson and I tied “bugs” made out of squirrel fur and deer hair from critters that had been in recent fatal road accidents.

We “tied one on” each of our lines.

The canoe and fishing equipment was loaded. We headed down the mountain into the fog.

Fishing was great. As big colorful turtles, grouchy herons, and a beaver watched us, our home-made bugs helped load our stringers with fat autumn sunfish from our favorite fishing hole.

Life may be a little duller. But it sure is fun. What a great day to be sober!

Toivo
"Life may be a little duller"?

What a beautiful story you shared.
My time in the woods with my children...
My time in the canoe with my children...
My time at the rifle club with my children...
Even though they always out do me. Biggest fish, sight more deer, hit more clay or center paper... Their smile and joy they have given as they enjoy the day has never been dull in my eyes. Peaceful, quiet, sober... but never dull.
No dad I know what I am doing don't help (as my son catches the biggest fish of the day at age 5) This is easy as my daughter hits center AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN her first time ever with a 22 rifle in hand.
My son demanding he do all the paddling as he brings us to shore. Watching each of the 4 as they catch their very first fish (and always on a day that Dad catches the little one or none at all.) Watching two energy filed boys sit perfectly still for over an hour as we wait for the deer to cross the run. Then watching them get bored as they start trying to plink ole dad off the head with deer turd *LOL*
Thank you for that wonderful story as it has raised up many joy filled moments of a sober life with my children.
hmmm almost time to take out the fly tying stuff for winter use as I wait for spring.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Wow, your post just started my week out right! A beautiful reminder of the things I used to take for granted or never even noticed while I was busy with my "exciting" struggle to stay functional while being intoxicated 25 hours a day. Thanks.

Jah Bless.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok, first it's venison chili. Now we're cooking fresh-caught fish and corn bread. Can I come to dinner at your place?!
Beautiful story...you've painted us a picture of fall in WV....thanks!
Don S