Notices

Sleepie's Summer Support Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:23 AM
  # 301 (permalink)  

Well said davai and yes, "fan" is meant as a figure of speech, and yes, I am a kvetch.

I am curious how you have been and have you been sober?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:39 AM
  # 302 (permalink)  

Yes, 6 months on the 20th. A strange journey. The more I deal with this, the more it feels like quitting cigarettes. You're never completely without the urge. But there's a lot more emotional, psychological baggage because alcohol is so steeped in legends of bliss.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 303 (permalink)  

That's great! Why have you been so quiet about it? It's a big achievement, people will want to share it with you.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM
  # 304 (permalink)  

I don't know if I want that level of involvement. It's a big time waster for me.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM
  # 305 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
Interestingly, I come back with facts about an eye condition and nothing is said.
Anyway This is my Summer Support Thread, as summer is a very difficult time for me and yes, I am prone to heat illness which is also dismissed as " it's too hot". Heat stroke is not to be taken lightly. I have maintained sobriety despite it, as my former method was to try and stay in AC and drink through it all.

And at the end of the day, annoyances and all, I am still sober. Moving onto 8 months now.

And, it is my sobriety. Not yours, hers, or his. Mine, and this is how mine goes. Anyone here is free to skip this thread and go read others.
Your absolutely correct Sleepy. Your sobriety is your sobriety and congrats on 8 months. And everybody's journey is different. If you are ok with your situation and has reasons not to move forward, that is certainly your right. If your sobriety rests on self pity and having others feel sorry for you, than that's fine. I've known others in the past that use the same approach to maintain their sobriety and that's fine for them. I choose a different path that works for me. For me, not drinking means I can now grow and do things I need to do to feel good about my life. I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I really mean this. Some people thrive on self pity and wouldn't want it any different and your getting all your needs met by that approach. Maybe change is not something you are interested in doing. Maybe your sobriety is dependent on things staying the same for you and maybe that's why you always come up with a reason not to take someone's advise and work with it. The bottom line is that your pretty content keeping things the same, although you complain about how bad things are. If that works for you, then great. Just sounds like a pretty depressing way to stay sober, but it's your path not mine. John
Old 08-09-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 306 (permalink)  

Oh my god, it's so easy to get sucked into drama.

I get a heat rash in the summer. It's like I've dipped my arms into chemicals, Eczema running up and down my arms, on my hands, my wrists. It's like I'm allergic to my own sweat.

At 6 months, I feel like Dave from 2001 Space Odyssey. Like I'm in the monolith at the end, waking up in this cleanly, dry environment, everything provided, but utterly lacking in stimulation. Day after day after day.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:09 PM
  # 307 (permalink)  

I understand. I am glad to hear that you are sticking with it.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 308 (permalink)  

Thanks.

Life.

The longer I'm here, the more an addiction to dopamine and serotonin looks like the moment to moment driver of all human behavior. Everything for a kick, a fix. What happens when you let that go?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:15 PM
  # 309 (permalink)  

That's a really good question that is so worth exploring. I have often though about the chemical fix and especially lately. Stop feeding it with food, or drink or even the immediate gratification of a selfie or a purchase. On the one hand it makes sense to want to feel good. But I don't know that many ask themselves what really lies at the bottom of their actions. It takes a real radical to let those things go, and see what is there. And they won't likely be well received, at least not until they find a way to be palatable. So many of these behaviors are a social game and allow for bonding and acceptance. For example I will not talk about people or gossip. I hate gossip, I think it is useless. But it's big bonding social behavior and to let it go gets you viewed as a bit of a moral high horse.

I don't know davai what do you think?
Old 08-09-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 310 (permalink)  

I don't know, maybe freedom? We are the one's sold the fix by Tony and Ekhart. They are the ones making millions. So maybe when you let it go, you become a guru and start manipulating other people's brain chemistry and living on a yacht.

I really recommend quitting spaghetti and pizza and all bread products for a while if you haven't tried this.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 311 (permalink)  

That I can do Davai. Have you reaped some benefits by doing so?
I did have a bad grilled cheese habit.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:20 PM
  # 312 (permalink)  

Yes in fact. Ive found it helps with mood swings. Not sure why.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 313 (permalink)  

Does anyone know where Fabela is, and why I can't leave her a visitor message?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:33 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  

I don't know where she is, but I've disabled visitor messages on my profile page. Did you try a private message?
Old 08-10-2016, 11:37 AM
  # 315 (permalink)  

Oh, ok. Thanks. Maybe I'll do a PM. She's a sweet lady and I miss her snowy pics!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 316 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sleepie View Post
But, what about the ones who feel as I do and think "Thank god, I'm not nuts... This sucks for other people too... But this person is still sober anyway". A person can feel as if it is better just to drink when all you hear are glowing reports of pink clouds, how great life is, how great they look and all the compliments they get. It can make a sober person who isn't having that experience feel like garbage and like sobriety isn't even worth it. My bottom line message is yep life sucks but it's gonna suck more and faster and even uglier with active alcoholism.

That's it. That's all I got. I haven't gotten the other stuff. I don't want to feel bad about it, I don't want to feel anything at all about it. I'm still in my first year of sobriety and just being free of pills and alcohol and stacking up days is all you can do sometimes and there is nothing wrong with that. If there is pressure to be perfect, chipper and cheery, especially when you don't feel that way, well it can be really easy to go back to drinking so that you can feel that way. That right way. That acceptable way.

And this is why I think you're awesome, Sleeps! You're moving forward, stacking lots of sober days in spite of everything. Silentrun wrote you a great post a little while ago about still being in early recovery and allowing time to work through things,and it's especially true for survivors of severe childhood abuse. I wish I could repost that--it was totally on point.

D.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 317 (permalink)  

Thank you Delf I am as they say around here "keepa go" -ing.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 318 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the week here (heat index at 100F), then hopefully going down again for the weekend. Dreaming of fall...
Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 319 (permalink)  

Same here FBL. Absolutely no sleep last night. None. Wake up and it's 86 in the place. They are saying 100 to 105 with heat index here. Usually I turn the AC on if it gets to 90 in here. It just never cooled last night, the air just does not flow through here.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:29 AM
  # 320 (permalink)  

I think we are all looking for something to make us happy, give us a little energy - I really try to look for the small things in life that give me a small glimpse of happiness. Yesterday I was so down because my family is in crisis...I was going to church to pray. I live in a city where there is a large homeless population and a man was at the parking meter with me (he was not homeless but didn't look like he had a lot) he looked me square in the eye with the most compassionate look...said can I help you with that parking meter...after that he said God bless you and walked away...that simple gesture meant so much to me. You have no idea! That small act of kindness really helped me. Not sure if this is even on topic but thank you for letting me share. I agree with davai - giving up bread and pasta is a good move!