Notices

6 Days Sober

Old 06-06-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6 Days Sober

I made it through day six. It was a rough one, I'll admit. I was very cranky at work tonight, and had a horrible customer. I also had my sister in the bar, who was trying to get me to drink with her. I refused. A very small part of me wanted that drink, but my six days sober-self wants to see one week even more.

It's so nice to be able to come home from work and read a book. I got through a two-part, 600 page novel after months of trying, and most of it was accomplished in the past few days and between my relapses. I want to be back to reading at least a book a week. And who knew actually remembering to brush my teeth and wash my face before bed would ever be so satisfying. I enjoy all the little things so much more.

I've sort of set up a little bit of a reward system for myself. Tomorrow, I'm allowing myself to buy a new outfit and maybe a book. At two weeks, I'm going to get my nails done. I figure all the money I'm saving on booze ($300 dollars a week, or more) I can afford to give myself other little things I enjoy, and still save tons more than I was. Is this a good system? Or plan? It's something, right?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

It could be. Time will tell. But you could ask a couple of questions.

Why did I drink? To make myself feel better?

Why do I want to pamper myself? To make myself feel better.

Why do I need to make myself feel better?
Old 06-07-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Magsie

Congratulations on 6 days, sdi.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Keep going & keep interacting here
Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days and wanting to stay sober more than wanting to drink. Good deal.

Rewards can be motivating for some, so sure, why not? But its not an over all plan. What else are you doing for your recovery?

Doing nice things for yourself is always a good thing. I just have to watch rewarding myself with another substance....like sugar for example But getting my nails done? Don't even think of it as a reward. Its maintenance!

You're doing great.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

^Frick, ha! Nails is indeed maintenance though kind of a treat now since I can't do it as often!

I have a reward system revolving around my days off, Wed and Sun. In addition to doing program stuff (I go to my home group lunch meeting on Wed and my other main group noon mtg on Sun), I work in time at Barnes & Noble (my happy place) along with grocery shopping, getting toes done, lunch out and/or frozen yogurt. All within my little "safe" radius of errands and such.

I also find that reading is HUGE for me - I read four, five books a week (And yes, it is good to remember them!) so a time reward is a regular one with me- after home from work, or as a mid-morning "to do list" break, I let myself "just' sit and read. I also take baths in the am so that time is mine to do whatever I want, read a book or cooking mag, leisurely check FB or respond to texts, whatever.

I am a big fan of the work-reward system, worked into my consistent recovery plan.

Good job on day 6 and keep going!
Old 06-07-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congrats on 6 days SDI! Lots of good advice here RE the "reaward" system. I think rewarding ourselves can be a good thing, but only to a point where it can also become an obsession. And there's nothing wrong with saving up some cash either - you could potentially use that "cushion" to help you find a better job where you aren't working in a bar around alcohol all the time, right?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 days! Not easy by any means.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations. I can't wait to get to a week too.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the support!