Notices

I miss Robby

Old 06-06-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I miss Robby

Just had to say it.

He made a real impact on my life, and it was about this time last year that his health started to decline. I found myself recently reading back on the Authenticity threads, and I was just blown away all over again by what a warm hearted genuine guy he was. I was so privileged to be a small part of his SR life.

Feeling sad tonight.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I miss Robby, also; you don't often come across a RobbyRobot; he was one of a kind.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zjw

I sadly missed it all till after the fact. I mean i was here but i jsut always ignored those threads. I had NO IDEA what was going on till after it was all said and done and then i read the threads and was liek OMG WTF WAS I? I was here just always ignored those trheads no idea why.

but what always got me was his upbeat positive attitude no matter what. I'm so flabergasted by that. and it just speaks volumes to me. and makes me realize how it is possible to remain positive and upbeat no matter what life throws at ya. and that if he can do it i can do it.

If only i could remember to do it all the time! this might call for a tattoo of sorts I have a few diff ones that are just reminders to me. its amazing how you can have something tattood to you and STILL forget lol.

wish i hadnt missed the boat on those threads liek I did but maybe there is a good reason for it.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

He was a very wise and kind person. And I think looking back at his thread for inspiration would be exactly what he'd want us to do. He truly accepted his addiction in the face of overwhelming ( and eventually insurmountable ) odds.

The most important thing I learned from him is that literally NOTHING can stop one from achieving and maintaining sobriety if we truly want to. Not even the face of imminent death.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Robby was a Titan. An irresistible force. His positive attitude was contagious.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yes, it was
Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

He was genius. He had so much he could have complained about and never did...always saw the positive - never the negative.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

me too, Jeni.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I miss him too. He had lots of wisdom and has always been a special part of SR.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think of him often. He was unique, kind hearted, smart as heck and the list goes on. His presence was one of a kind! Miss him dearly. My first friend on SR.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too He was a special person.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
FBL
non-drinker

I also miss Robby. Also CarolD and grtgrandpa (aka "Gramps"). All three helped me so much over the years.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
He was a very wise and kind person. And I think looking back at his thread for inspiration would be exactly what he'd want us to do. He truly accepted his addiction in the face of overwhelming ( and eventually insurmountable ) odds.

The most important thing I learned from him is that literally NOTHING can stop one from achieving and maintaining sobriety if we truly want to. Not even the face of imminent death.
I agree. In fact, I have looked over some of his old posts from time to time. I know he wanted to be able to write more, but he left us with a lot of inspiring words.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Agreed. Lately, I've been finding myself noticing where this year is at (calendar wise) because it's the last few months / weeks in the lead up to his death. I too visited the latter parts of Authenticity only a couple of days ago. It was, for me, probably the most deeply-felt and well, just huge, discussion amongst SR friends that I've been part of over four or more years of reading / participating in SR.

We gathered around Robby and Melissa in a journey which is (universally) totally normal for human beings - and yet it was full of individual reflections, for we each have to do life and then dying with whatever resources we have. And by gee, we gathered up A LOT. Music, poetry, philosophy, faith, despair...hilarity, irony, and just sheer old-fashioned gumption. I've never forgotten that period, and will never forget Robby.

I think he was also one of my very first PM friends on SR too. He never gave up on, nor dismissed, me when I'd relapsed. His consistent message was 'I have faith in you'. Now I'm practising having faith in myself.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
High on Life

Yeah, he was a pretty awesome person and had a huge impact on my recovery as well.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Cow
Woe is Moo.

Robot. He take me under his wing, I not know why. I think he maybe enjoy our little existential chess matches.( Of course, we know who always win.) My favorite was when he say, "Tarnations girl!" Which mean he think I onto something good.

He was something good. Still is.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welp (as tomsteve would say in that strange US dialect),

I just want to bump this thread. Only a week or so until the first anniversary of Robby's death. I was thinking about it the other day. August, September, and November especially for me include important memoriams. Robby's is a major one for this community.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I missed this thread the first time round.

I think the really great thing about SR is all those who have gone in one sense are still very much here

Its a fantastic legacy

D
Old 08-06-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Not just for Robby, for all those:

Old 08-06-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Robby gave me my first hug on SR. Every time I give a hug I think of him.

RIP dear Robby
xoxo