SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Nothing Like -- SOBER REFLECTIONS (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/392461-nothing-like-sober-reflections.html)

Mountainmanbob 06-05-2016 03:46 PM

Nothing Like -- SOBER REFLECTIONS

I was just outside on this peaceful afternoon smoking a cigar, watching our goats and pondering a few sober reflections in my minds eye. It's interesting the thoughts that go through the mind. Some I'm glad that I don't act out on today. In sobriety I had to let go of some old ideas.

I often wonder what if I was drinking today, would I make some decisions that I would not make while sober? The answer for me regarding this question is yes. Today my conscience is a strong moral compass -- thank God.

I remember back in my drinking days doing things while drunk -- setting my conscience aside for the moment -- and not thinking twice about the possible consequences.

Thoughts still occasionally cross my mind that are not the best but, I let them go and push them away. Keeps me out of a lot of trouble. Giving the mind time to seek the right, moral things to do today. I still reflect at times, how would I have reacted or react to these issues of life today if I was still drinking? I would probably end up in a lot of trouble with my wife and possibly again with the judge and who knows who else?

Ever think about how you would have possibly done the wrong thing or things if you were drinking today?

A nice sober day wished for all.
MB

2muchpain 06-05-2016 04:52 PM

Sometimes, I think that maybe their is someone out there that is still alive because I wasn't driving drunk.
And yes, there were things I did in the past because of drugs or alcohol that I would never do today. I can't believe how I treated people back then. I would of never done those things if I was sober. It just wasn't me. So selfish.
Around a week ago, a neighbor across the hall had a real serious problem with her boyfriend. Heard her yelling for help. No point in going into any details, but the police came and everything worked out fine. Both were drunk but I wasn't. No way could I have helped her out if I was drinking. Probably would of become part of the problem and maybe got myself hurt. Amazing how things turn out sometimes. John

REsoberALITY 06-05-2016 05:55 PM

So many places I wouldn't have even been if was sober, now that I think about it. Places I'm truly lucky to have made it home from. How, in light of that, that I'm even here. So much selfishness and recklessness. And I can even go down the road, of people I hurt along the way.

Thanks for the post Mountainmanbob.

Mountainmanbob 06-06-2016 03:37 AM

Not interfering as we watch it all play out

When I was drinking I thought that I was the great director of the worlds play. Always wanting and trying to maneuver people around me so as to do exactly what (I) wanted them to do. Although I thought of myself as very good at this, I find that in sobriety it just does not work.

Today I do my best to remember;

That I'm powerless over people, places and things.

All works out for the best when I step out of the picture and rely on God's will.

Easier said than done at times.

MB

Not interfering as we watch it all play out

Mountainmanbob 06-06-2016 03:43 AM

"you are going to get into serious trouble down here"

Originally Posted by REsoberALITY (Post 5986197)

Places I'm truly lucky to have made it home from.

You remind me of the times REsoberALITY when I used to go to the ghetto so as to score things that I should not have been doing. I'm sure that on one day that comes to mind two guys were getting ready to rob me in an alley when the police rolled up on us. One cop told me as he sent me on my way that, "you had better be careful because you are going to get into serious trouble down here." I was saved from that one!

MB

Mountainmanbob 06-14-2016 06:49 AM

how you would have possibly done the wrong thing or things if you were drinking tod

Ever think about how you would have possibly done the wrong thing or things if you were drinking today?

One just for starters.
I would probably be drinking and driving.
Proven to be a terrible thing to do.
MB

chrcarlson 06-14-2016 09:45 PM

I think about it driving late at night or sometimes just when I start my car. It pops in my head whenever I see a police car.