SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Good morning and a plan :) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/392302-good-morning-plan.html)

snarky 06-03-2016 04:16 AM

Good morning and a plan :)

I just wanted to drop in and wish everyone a wonderful Friday. I know I'm new ... not really... keep trying over and over, ha! I guess practice makes perfect,right?

Today I'm buying a planner and actually writing out 12 weeks of action steps. Instead for white knuckle it with willpower, I plan to read and work AA, these forums, and get my love, fitness, back under control. I turned into a depressed fatty with all the years of drinking and it's not me. I said, hey, I'm not eating, so what's some vodka?!

I digress. Back to my plan. One thing that's always been lacking is some degree of spirituality. Not necessarily religious, but any semblance of deep thought other than how I'll survive my hangover. Part of my plan is to take 15 minutes each morning and night to reflect.

What's your plan?

Have a great day!

Soberwolf 06-03-2016 05:01 AM

Good stuff congratulations

entropy1964 06-03-2016 05:20 AM

Great job and welcome back. Number 1 part of my action plan is 'don't drink, no matter what'!

I recognized big time 31 days ago that my lack of spiritual connection is at the core of my unhappiness, not just my drinking. If you had asked me what spirituality is 10 years ago I probably couldn't have told you and I would have spouted some anti-organized religion verbiage. Now I know that spirituality for me has nothing to do with 'religion' and is completely individual as far as I'm concerned. But I have to practice my spirituality, daily. I'm still working on that because it doesn't come naturally. But recognizing what needs to be changed is part of the process.

Good luck.

ScottFromWI 06-03-2016 06:47 AM

Good morning snarky, sounds like you have a good foundation moving forward. Don't forget SR is always here if you need extra support too!

snarky 06-03-2016 06:48 AM

Thanks all! Going to find a meeting for later:)

Berrybean 06-03-2016 07:25 AM

There are the AA prayers that you could use in the morning to focus, along with the Daily reflections.
Friends of Bill W. - Twelve Step Prayersfromthe Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous
Alcoholics Anonymous : Daily Reflection

Meditation is also great for recovery, as us As do struggle to stay in the moment, and most of our fears and resentments that drag us down (and back to the land of the liquid) aren't usually in the present. They're in the past or the future. When we learn to pull out self back to the moment we tend to find some peace and relief.

Not sure what you're into, but I joined a beginners section of a running club a while back. I'm pretty much completely rubbish, but I do quite like helping out on their events with Marshalling or whatever they need. Beats sitting about and some of those athletes are pretty inspirational. You never know, it might even inspire me to actually do some running myself one day (which was, of course, the origional intention). Lol.

Hope you have a lovely weekend.

snarky 06-03-2016 07:29 AM

Thanks. Im not incredibly religious but I think taking some time to reflect will be good for me. It's too bad I can't tell my hubby. I have to come up with some lies as to why I'm not at the pub with him:(

ScottFromWI 06-03-2016 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by snarky (Post 5982116)
Thanks. Im not incredibly religious but I think taking some time to reflect will be good for me. It's too bad I can't tell my hubby. I have to come up with some lies as to why I'm not at the pub with him:(

Being religious is not a requirement for AA, there are even atheist groups that meet.

Regarding your husband, I personally believe that honesty is the cornerstone of sobriety - both being honest with ourselves and those around us. Keeping it a secret from your husband or lying about it will most likely make it very difficult to accomplish.

Berrybean 06-03-2016 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by snarky (Post 5982116)

Hmm, that seems like a pretty short term solution. Why can't you just tell him? (Although saying that it took a a week of so of sneaking to meetings before I was ready to talk to my OH about it. I kind of wanted to be secure in what I wanted before he got the chance to poo poo the idea and try and talk me out if it). Life got a lot easier when he knew where I was going though.

D122y 06-03-2016 08:41 AM

I'm not incredibly religious either. My wife is. She prays a rosary a day for her passed on mom.

Sometimes I go to church w her and sit in the car. We eat after church so it saves a trip home. Anyway, the church messages sometimes confuse me. The priest sounds confused at times. Churches can get twisted up at times.... in my opinion. Anyway...

I believe in a higher power. God. The mystery of faith. When I pray it strengthens me. Why? I don't know, it is a mystery.

Thanks.