Notices

Need advice.

Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Notwithstanding that you may not even need AA to stay sober, here are a couple of practical ideas from the program which might come in handy.

The first is when someone upsets you: "Though we did not like their symptoms and the way these disturbed us, they, like ourselves, were sick too. We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity, and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done." We avoid retaliation or argument. We wouldn't treat sick people that way."

The next was step ten, a real life saver for me. It saved me from creating a whole new mess after I stopped drinking.

"This thought brings us to Step Ten, which suggests we continue to take personal inventory and continue to set right any new mistakes as we go along." This just means if we make a mistake, we fix it staright away, we don't allow it to fester.

Finally, in my daily life I have a couple of little prayers which have really been a help in getting me through what might have been tight spots. "God, please take these stupid thouughts away, and, God please send me the right thought or action for this situation".

It doesn't hurt to say a little prayer at the start of the day asking that we be shown the right thing to do through the coming day.

I hope you find something in there you can use.