SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   First DUI, scared (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/392145-first-dui-scared.html)

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:36 AM

First DUI, scared

Hello Everyone,

I am Zach, 24, and I got my first DUI on Sunday. I live in Ohio and my main thing I am concerned with is possible jail time...

I was not speeding or doing anything reckless while driving, i just forgot to put my headlights on... something I do all the time.
I passed all the field tests, they gave me four but they still cuffed me. Im just thankful that NO ONE was hurt or NO damage was done.

This is my first offense and my record prior to this was clean. My Dad is a lawyer and constantly reassures me that no jail time will be happening. He also has connections to great DUI defense lawyers who will be working with me. I meet with them tomorrow.

I personally hardly drink but I still take full credit for what I did, I made a mistake and again I am just happy no one got hurt

I was foolish and made a mistake, I just want to avoid jail time... is Jail time pretty rare for a first DUI?

Any answers are great.

biminiblue 05-31-2016 09:41 AM

I think just allow the system to do its thing. Your dad would know better than any of us here.

One day at a time.

Have you made a decision to stop drinking? Or at least to stop drinking and driving? You are very lucky that nothing worse happened.

Welcome to the site.

Opivotal 05-31-2016 09:46 AM

No one was hurt, no accident involved and if your BAC isn't off the charts, it's very rare any jail time is involved for your first DUI.

What was your BAC? Did they test you? You may lose your license or get probation. I'm not sure...try not to jump to any conclusions before you speak with your lawyer.

Drinking and driving is a sure way to ruin your life. I hope you learned a valuable lesson last night. Please get some help if you can't stop on your own.

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:48 AM

Drinking and driving will never happen again, I assure that. I am extremely disappointed in myself and I will hold myself to a much higher standard.
As for drinking itself, on a weekly basis I perhaps drink once a week. I would hardly describe myself as a party drinker as well. Honestly as I get older I progressively get more turned off by the idea of drinking.
I am extremely thankful no one was harmed, that is the most important thing. As said, I will use this as a lesson for the rest of my life to better myself as a human. I saw after the first there is a 40% chance you get a second, I REFUSE to be part of the number.

biminiblue 05-31-2016 09:50 AM

Good for you...just a thought...since you have an open court case, and it appears you've used your actual name - be careful what you share here; this forum is viewable and searchable by anyone with an internet connection.

Maybe you could change your username if that's your real name.

thomas11 05-31-2016 09:51 AM

Yes, its rare.

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:51 AM

So, my BAC.
I had my friend in shotgun and we both got tested. He had an higher amount of alcohol than I did.
he blew a 0.08.1%
I blew a 0.16.1%

I personally am surprised it was that high. let alone double, I had no issue with the field tests nor did I feel that i was double the limit. But again, I am taking full responsibility for my actions.

Coldfusion 05-31-2016 09:52 AM

It appears to me that you were at least partially out-of-control by drinking and driving. If you attempt to control your drinking this may happen again. I would suggest complete abstinence.

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:54 AM

You make a vaild point.

August252015 05-31-2016 09:55 AM

You sound very alert about this, if scared.

A lot of us have dealt with this. I am in GA and mine happened here; you are doing the right things with your Dad, lawyer help, etc. It is hard to be patient during this process but the notes above are, in my exper and those of others I know here, spot on. Do not know OH laws but in most states, first offender status (if convicted- perhaps with a lawyer's help you won't be) involves probation, DUI class, attendance of AA mtgs, and the like. I also suggest, particularly based on your comments about your friend vs you and BAC, that you research drinking in general- if you need to learn stuff about body weight/how we process alcohol differently, or just anything about the topic, there are TONS of articles you can find online by putting in basic keywords.

You made it to SR awfully fast so perhaps this or similar sites are good places to look at the issue of drinking, assess where you are with it, etc. You are young so perhaps this is your wake up call (unlike many of us who didn't stop with that first DUI and our drinking progressed into much later stages of alcoholism, unfortunately) to get a handle on anything you need to!

Good luck!!

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:55 AM

I am not trying to brush this off as something light ether, I messed up, it could have been worse. So please do not feel I am taking this lightly.
I will better myself as a human being after this, I refuse to make the same mistake twice. And I want my friends to learn from this as well.

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 09:58 AM

From what I have seen ill get probation, classes, and AA.
I am just scared .... of prison time... i am also personally paying for all the fees including lawyer. So I dont want you to think I am letting my parents get me out of this. My mistake and I will pay for it

Coldfusion 05-31-2016 10:01 AM

I would suggest starting to go to AA meetings now, and keeping a written record for the judge. Usually the person who is running the meeting will be willing to sign an attendance sheet.

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 10:02 AM

how do i start going to them? Do I just find a location and pay for the class?

Coldfusion 05-31-2016 10:18 AM

AA meetings are self-supporting--you can just put in a couple bucks when they pass the hat. Google "AA Meetings Columbus" and go to the soonest one possible!

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 10:21 AM

Thank you kindly!
This was a wake up call for me to be more responsible and to be responsible around others.
I surely will never forget this or let myself repeat my actions. Thank you for your time and information. I have a whole life ahead of me at 24 and I defiantly do not want to ruin that.

thank you again :)

Coldfusion 05-31-2016 10:35 AM

Here's a couple good threads to join:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-part-1-a.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post5977003

ScottFromWI 05-31-2016 10:41 AM

Lots of good advice here Zachariah, hope everything works out for the best for you. While jail time is probably not likely for a first offense, you'll probably be required to attend some kind of alcohol assessment with a counselor. Hitting some AA meetings and things of than nature will not only help potentially with your legal issues, but more importantly it will help you learn more about your drinking and whether or not it's a problem for you.

snowboarder300 05-31-2016 10:48 AM

Found this at website...might be helpful as it pertains to residents of Ohio

Above all, just follow all the advice of your lawyer, to the letter. Secondly, you never want to come before the court with a second one, so just be careful.

"A first DUI in Ohio (known as OVI in Ohio), results in both criminal and administrative penalties for adult offenders. Minors and commercial drivers charged with first offense DUI/OVI will face different penalties than those noted.

Administrative Penalties

The first time you are arrested and convicted of drunk driving in Ohio, you will receive an Administrative License Suspension (ALS) of 90 days. This ALS suspension is independent of your court ordered suspension that will be from 6 months to 3 years in duration.
Ignition interlock devices not required, but in an effort to obtain hardship/occupations driving privilege during suspension period, first offense drivers will be required to utilize an ignition interlock device
Treatment or assessments are not a requirement of reinstatement for first offenders
Reinstatement fee = $450

Criminal Penalties

If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) was between .08%-.17% you will serve a mandatory 72 hours in jail (and can be sentenced up to six months).
If BAC above .17, offender faces minimum incarceration period of six (6) days.
You will also be ordered to pay a fine between $250 and $1,000 and do not include costs incurred in completing terms of sentence (such as costs of attendance in driver intervention program), nor do they cover costs associated with license reinstatement.
Convictions carry over and influence future DUI charges and sentencing for a period of six (6) years in the state of Ohio

ZachariahCarter 05-31-2016 11:04 AM

thank you for all the help guys, from what my dad says I will most likely be going to a 3 day program instead of jail with the add ons of meetings, classes, and most likely suspension. He says in his years of law he has never seen a first offense result in jail time.
jail just has me scared but i know that is rare for my first offense.

im just trying to take deep breathes and get over this hump, my stress levels are through the roof... but yoga helps with that.

you all are so great, I get to meet with my lawyer tomorrow so im looking forward to that! They should be able to erase most of the unknowing stress.

soon enough ill know what i have to do to better myself for tomorrow and the future.