SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I am so so sick of you bikers and so sick of u hockey fans (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/392022-i-am-so-so-sick-you-bikers-so-sick-u-hockey-fans.html)

behindblueyes 05-28-2016 09:18 PM

I am so so sick of you bikers and so sick of u hockey fans

All day every day it's motorcycles. At 4am get up hurry asap.

All day at work if u didn't get drunk and wasted and watch the game you are a loser here in Pittsburgh.

Our town has been labed a "Drinking town with a hockey problem.". Google it. I'm NOT using it as an excuse. I'm just so sick of it. I woke up looking for the weather and 10 documents where about how our town drank the hardest and we were the best drinking city recently in the US.

I am fed up.

I have a child. When they spat out the ads about omg heroin "not even once" where is it for my child. As soon as s I took one drink of alcohol, at age 10, I was done. Where is my speech?

Berrybean 05-30-2016 03:03 AM

That's a shame. What keep s you in the area?

Lucky that there's a good strong fellowship there as well. Are you taking your kid to the June picnic?

Pittsburgh Area AA Central Office - Home

zjw 05-30-2016 05:19 AM

I'm not big on sports finatics. I cant stomach being in the same room with a bunch of guys watching "the game". I also cant stomach being in a group that just wants to drink. Or sit around and keep conversation going with soemone who just wants to talk about the last time they got wasted even tho its a regular occurance for them they discuss it like some epic thing that happens rarely like every day (i used to be this person).

I just dont hang around these types anymore.

I dunno what to tell you about the motorcycles tho. I get big semi's blowing by my house all hours of the day I've just learned to tuen it out. course i grew up near the rail road tracks as a kid and I guess just got used to it.

zjw 05-30-2016 05:23 AM

I get it tho it can annoy me how drinking is made out to be so great. My neighbors had a party yest. they ride there lawn mowers while drinking and such. I'm never invited and thankfully so lol. But oh wow its all the rage oh so fun what a blast good times etc..... ::Facepalm:: and its like yea I wonder how they all feelt his morning however?

ScottFromWI 05-30-2016 05:39 AM

Life is filled with annoyances unfortunately. Sometimes it's best to focus on the positive and make a gratitude list of what we do have that we appreciate. Taking some time away from the media helps too.

behindblueyes 05-30-2016 05:56 AM

I was in an awful mood yesterday. It seems like I can't find peace or have fun anymore. I don't know what's wrong with me. This is such a huge drinking city and all day long it's semis and motorcycles blasting by. I don't sleep. I apologize for my rant. And yes, everyone is partying today outside.

zjw 05-30-2016 06:47 AM

an issue i had when i sobered up was I felt as if all anyone ever did ot have fun was drink. and ya know to a certain extent booze in some form is a HUGE part of many peoples social activities. I also had 0 interest in doing squat unless it involved booze. So newly sober and unable to drink and hateing any activity that did not involve booze i was in a pretty difficult spot. Top this with being anti social and such as well and I was going stir crazy. Feeling better more energy wanting to do things but what? everything seems to involve booze and well I just cant do that.

I had to just start trying stuff i didnt wanna do prior. I started walking regularly and getting into various hobbies / new interests. from there that got me into other stuff.

I recently started learning a new instrument so every weds I gotta go to practice and theres no booze there either even tho its upstairs from a bar lol. 0 booze.

I just had to branch out a little get out of my comfort zone some. It took time. no one pushed me and heck i didnt even push myself. I just gradually got into other things all on my own really. I guess its just part of the change that happens over time when you sober up.

maimaitreya 05-30-2016 07:04 AM

I did have a chuckle at the "drinking town with a hockey problem." I live in Canada so I know all about hockey fanatics. I'm not a fan so I can relate. Don't let the lunatics rile you up, even when it seems like they are running the asylum. Hugs for you blueeyes:grouphug:

zerothehero 05-30-2016 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by behindblueyes (Post 5975531)
I was in an awful mood yesterday. It seems like I can't find peace or have fun anymore. I don't know what's wrong with me.

You might consider reading this: Understanding our Bodies: Dopamine and Its Rewards | Nutrition Wonderland

Information about dopamine helped me to consider strategies to regain normal pleasures, but it will take some time...

entropy1964 05-30-2016 07:17 AM

My father, and most of his family, are all from Pitt. I think there's actually a 'hill/street' named after one branch of my family. My Great Grandfather was a big inventor and invented the first radio station there. Ha! He's in Wikipedia. Huge drinkers, all of them in my father's generation. My cousin, son of my Dad's bro lives there...he's a working actor in Hollywood but loves Pitt. He doesn't drink...where am I going with this? Dunno. But I know that, at least with my family, LOTS of alchies born and raised in Pitt. Although not one has ever blamed it on the city. Its been more about genetics and crappy parenting, I think.

I lived in Monterey.....we used to call it a drinking town with a fishing problem. Maui, huge drinking/drugging culture with the people who worked the tourist industry...which was everyone. I guess what I'm saying is there is a drinking/drugging culture pretty much everywhere if that's what I choose to see. And there's also a big sober culture....but that doesn't get my attention when I'm not at peace with my situation. I will add that the state I live in now is one of the 'cleanest' I've ever been in so I get that some places are worse. But there are liquor stores everywhere and plenty of boozing if I seek it out.

thomas11 05-30-2016 09:55 AM

Your mention of motorcycles at 4AM rattled me a little. When drinking heavy (including Sundays) a while back, there were some motorcycle owners that must have worked the early shift and I'd hear them pipes blasting at about 4:30AM and I would wake....then panic because I knew I would have to wake up soon, and I would not fall back asleep. I'll never forget those years.

Funny, now they don't bother me at all really.

fred59 05-30-2016 10:06 AM

my last 20 years in my trade I was sober, every shift there was drugs and alcohol bad behavior, jobs lost because of drug abuse families broken up. We have to learn how to deal with life sober sometimes it is not easy.
I like sports but that was all anyone talked about at work, remember when and how about the time etc etc, it does get old. Acceptance can be hard.

advbike 05-30-2016 10:06 AM

I totally get the biker thing. I've been a motorcyclist for 40 years, more on the touring side. But I don't put on loud pipes and I don't feel entitled to wake the neighborhood up at 4am like some of these a-holes. I once lived where some guy did that every morning and I briefly considered taking physical action. There is also an ego component to it, on both sides. I was insulted that someone could 'do that to me'. Eventually I moved, but my sponsor told me loud motorcycles no longer bothered him. So I suppose acceptance is possible, but I'm also noise sensitive and choose my environment carefully these days.

sixtyfour 05-30-2016 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by maimaitreya (Post 5975606)
I did have a chuckle at the "drinking town with a hockey problem." I live in Canada so I know all about hockey fanatics. I'm not a fan so I can relate. Don't let the lunatics rile you up, even when it seems like they are running the asylum. Hugs for you blueeyes:grouphug:

Just wanted to say Hi fellow Canadian who doesn't like hockey! :-)

behindblueyes 05-30-2016 01:59 PM

Yes, there is something about these neighbors. The one starts up his bike and revs it over and over. It really gets to me and I don't know why. I don't know who he is trying to impress but he also lays tire all down the street and loops around doing this at night.

advbike 05-30-2016 05:24 PM

Sounds like he has a drinking problem himself. You might complain. In my town the police would talk to him, probably won't happen there. But it sounds like there's all sorts of violations that would sober him up - exhibition of speed, reckless driving, maybe a DUI..