SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Russian Roulette (courtesy of user dangerDrinking) (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/391875-russian-roulette-courtesy-user-dangerdrinking.html)

whiteturtle 05-26-2016 06:08 AM

Russian Roulette (courtesy of user dangerDrinking)

This is not from me, but I really wanted to quote this statement that really resonated with me:

Originally Posted by dangerDrinking (Post 5969415)
What I DO fear, is that once I drink there, it's green light for me to drink at some point in the near future. It's like playing Russian Roulette for me and I just cannot risk it anymore.

That's such a good way to put it...whenever we as addicts pick up a drink, we are literally playing Russian Roulette. We have no idea which drink will be the one to kill us. We would never willingly put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger to see if that's the one... I am going to view picking up a drink in the same way from now on.

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!

kittycat3 05-26-2016 06:11 AM

Hear hear. Ditto for me, there may have been times when I kept it to just 2-3 drinks, but I could never predict whether it could be that or a total binge. Not worth the risk! Life is so much better with the safer bet of abstinence and sobriety!

zjw 05-26-2016 06:42 AM

yeah no idea why i didnt just die in my sleep at the very least so many times.

ScottFromWI 05-26-2016 06:57 AM

That's what got me every time too...assuming I was somehow back under "control", but every single time I always returned to every day binge drinking. Acceptance of the fact that I could never, ever have even one drink was the only thing that worked.

BBQBOY 05-26-2016 08:41 AM

Same here....about 1 out of every 6 experiments (1-2 drinks) went horribly wrong. You never know when that one time....there is 1 in the chamber!!

Gottalife 05-26-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by whiteturtle (Post 5969793)
This is not from me, but I really wanted to quote this statement that really resonated with me:

That's such a good way to put it...whenever we as addicts pick up a drink, we are literally playing Russian Roulette. We have no idea which drink will be the one to kill us. We would never willingly put a gun to our heads and pull the trigger to see if that's the one... I am going to view picking up a drink in the same way from now on.

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!

Yes relapse is a dangerous game. Your never know which is the "loaded" drink. Yet we alcoholics can rationalise it away, "it will never happen to me. I'll handle it this time". In the face of all the evidence, this is plain insanity.

Mountainmanbob 05-26-2016 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by whiteturtle (Post 5969793)

Thanks, dangerDrinking!!

I do heed the warning -- thank you.

It's like driving poison
it will kill me sooner or later.

Mountainmanbob