SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Aren't you just exhausted? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/391433-arent-you-just-exhausted.html)

Starflyer 05-17-2016 01:08 PM

Aren't you just exhausted?

"Aren't you just exhausted?"

That was it. No rehab. No intervention. No grand philosophical statements. Just a single, solitary question: "Aren't you just exhausted?"

Even the setting was not contusive towards an eye-awakening moment. I was sitting in a friend's car waiting in line at a local drive thru at 6:00 pm complaining of a hangover when my friend said this:

"Yeah. I'm pretty tired."

"That's not what I mean."

"Ok then, what DO you mean?"

"The alcohol. The cycle of it all. Drinking, blacking out, too sick to function, drinking, blacking out, too sick to function. If you ask me, the whole thing sounds exhausting. Isn't there anything else you want to do with your life? Start a new hobby, learn a skill, or get in shape? Think of what positive things you could do - positive decisions you could make - if you were not tied down to the bars and the booze?"

....And that was it. Something clicked on that grey evening, sitting in that car, waiting in line. Unfortunately, I did not put it to action for another month, but I'll always remember the question, the sympathetic tone, the look on his face.

In hindsight, I was completely exhausted. I just didn't know it yet....

ScottFromWI 05-17-2016 01:38 PM

Sounds like a pretty defining moment, thanks for sharing that story. I also reached a point one day where I simply had enough of it all. It wasn't like a lightbulb going of or any sort of "vision"....i just knew that I had to stop..now.

RallyAly 05-17-2016 03:45 PM

I wasn't at the point of blacking out, but, yeah, it wasn't about a rock bottom, or bad drunk, or SO ultimatum, or some slobbering embarrassment, for me. Just exhausted of it all (even each week for the day or two of not drinking, there was the worrying and thinking). Basically, I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. And while things hadn't gotten ugly they were, year-over-year, getting worse.

zjw 05-17-2016 04:01 PM

yeah i was beyond exhausted didnt know it and sometimes i wondered about it but i was just too dang addicted to alcohol to do squat about it for a long time.

Venecia 05-17-2016 04:08 PM

Nice! Good for you, Starflyer.

Your friend sounds like a keeper.

purplepeopleeat 05-17-2016 04:18 PM

That's exactly how I felt. I was so sick of feeling sick and exhausted day in and day out. I finally just got sick of living like that. My live was just passing me by and I didn't even remember half of it. I said enough is enough. I want to LIVE not just be alive.

Mountainmanbob 05-17-2016 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Starflyer (Post 5956860)

Reminds me of the original 6 Steps.

Step 1 -- Complete deflation.

MB

leviathan 05-17-2016 04:37 PM

A good freind, sounds like.