Notices

Panic attacks after sobriety

Old 05-17-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic attacks after sobriety

Hi I'm Jenna,

I'm 4 1/2 months sober now and I'm just wondering about having panic attacks after sobriety. I have been dealing with legal issues and while in court I have a panic attack waiting to speak with the judge. I have had panic attacks before making phone calls. I also have them thinking about speaking in AA meetings. I'm wondering if this is normal in recovery and if it subsides?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

kiddo you won't have to wonder.. just be prepared to be kind and thougthfull to all of those around you.. my hubby is going through that right now.. I don't know meds for depression supposed to help.. but not much.. he fell apart away from home on an over night at a concert.. got him to the hotel and he fell asleep.. but it took acouple of hours to have that happen.. hugs kiddo and prayers.. be kind to all around you .. for they did not do this when the panic happens.. ardy
Old 05-17-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Congratulations on 4.5 months and welcome to SR! Anxiety and panic in addicts is quite common actually. Quitting drinking is certainly a necessary step to start getting better, but it's not a cure in istelf for anxiety or panic. Having said that, they are both very treatable conditions - have you ever spoken with your doctor or a therapist about it?
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Jenna nice to meet you
Old 05-17-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

for me the panic attacks you explain are fear coming out. usually fear of what others will think of me or fear of the unknown. i experienced that fear for a while in aa.
working the program helped tremendously.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jenna - they were normal for me but I had them before I become a drinker

As Scott said, if you're concerned, maybe seeing your Dr or a counsellor could be a step forward?