Notices

Antabuse Question about Daily Products

Old 05-14-2016, 12:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse Question about Daily Products

So after a week in the med unit detoxing (yet again) and then another week in a behavioral wing of the hospital I finally decided I needed the added "safety blanket" of being on Antabuse to dissuade my usual self sabotage.

Question for anyone on this or who's been on this is this; what kinds/brands of toiletries has anybody used that they liked? I am mainly looking for deodorant, shaving cream, and bath soaps. Note; I am a dude.

Thanks,
TF
Old 05-14-2016, 12:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use a variety of different brands. I just ALWAYS check that the label states Alcohol Free. I was on Antabuse for over a year, and never had any problems.
I drank for 40 years, and I am now 2+ years Sober and FREE. (60+ year old guy)

Congrats on your commitment to Sobriety.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 05-14-2016, 02:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was never that sensitive when on antibuse.....I could still use all the same products. But I know all kinds of stuff is sold without alcohol so just check the labels.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't have any reactions with any of my toiletries. Definitely find some alcohol free mouth wash, I think mouth wash w/alcohol will cause a problem. Antabuse did give me that extra layer of protection, like you stated...just remember to take it!! Best Wishes
Old 05-14-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Genuine thanks for the replies. I was upset I had all this alcohol free stuff from the hospital and they forgot to send it with me. I was being extra cautious because I have spent too much time in hospitals over the last two months. No interest in returning to one.

Crazy aside is I went to a store tonight where I used to buy (I know kind of dumb but I needed something else and it's in walking distance) and the guy behind the counter was like "where the hell have you been?" I told him what was up and he was still persuading me to buy a bottle. I walked back home just laughing. It's sad when it gets to that level when the clerk is wondering where you've been but I wouldn't have gone there if I didn't feel strong enough to. Plus I had like 2 bucks in change to my name. The Antabuse for whatever reason is really helping me play the tape forward this time around. I start a day program on Monday and for once in my life I am looking forward to fricken Monday!

Thanks again,
TF
Old 05-16-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was on Antabuse for 15 - 16 months and didn't even think about adverse reactions from deodorant, etc.

I made a decision to use Antabuse because I wanted everything possible which could enhance my chances of staying sober.

I haven't had a drink since I walked into a treatment center and asked for help a few 24 hours ago.

If Antabuse played even a small part in that result, then it was worth it.