Notices

10 Hour Shift Without a Drink!

Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

10 Hour Shift Without a Drink!

I worked ten hours at the bar without a single drop! My sister was there and she was insisting I do a shot with her, and I said no. I'm telling everyone I have a severe stomach ulcer (which isn't entirely untrue, I have issues with some minor ones), and it's working for the most part! Ten hours was definitely not easy, and everyone was extremely hammered; I desperately wanted to join in the "fun."

But I did it! Day 5 complete.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I'm glad you stayed sober, but jeez, this is like watching someone standing on the edge of the cliff, wondering if they are going to fall off.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Talk about a serious job hazard you have there. You'll find that if you hang out at the barber shop long enough eventually you'll get a haircut. More power to you though and congratulations on getting through without drinking.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
I'm glad you stayed sober, but jeez, this is like watching someone standing on the edge of the cliff, wondering if they are going to fall off.
ditto.
Old 05-02-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
now's the time

Congratulations! As they say, if you wait for the perfect conditions to make a big life change, you never will make any changes. Good for you. I know a woman who had to get sober while working as a bartender. It's hard but it can be done; she celebrated a year recently.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow that's great news. If I were you I would try and change job eventually. If you're trying to learn new skills to get there, what better way to start than now? New you, new skills, new job and a brand new chance in life. Hope things work out your way. Sending positive energy
Old 05-02-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

well done. I could only be around alcohol and not actually want it, only once I had come to terms with the fact that I was most definitely an alcoholic and could never, ever drink alcohol again. Once I had come to terms with this and I had stopped fighting it the initial resentment slipped away and I can now have alcohol in my house without touching it. For me it was all about coming to terms with the fact that I can never consume alcohol. I remind myself of this fact everyday and prey to God that I never forget it. Good luck, keep going!
Old 05-02-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job sdi! It gets easier. Like someone else said... once you make the decision that you cannot drink, no matter what, it seems to take the wind out of the sails, at least for me it did. I made that decision, and the cravings reduced dramatically. Before, I had always said I was "taking a break" and couldn't wait to return to my drinking. Now, it doesn't seeem as challenging for some reason, once I admitted I was alcoholic.

Every alcoholic has a set of circumstances that challenge them and make quitting difficult, but if you can manage to quit while bartending just think how strong you will be and of everything else you can accomplish. Its a challenge, but one you can overcome. I am doing it and I know many, many others who have done it as well. You got this girl!!! Keep adjusting your plan as you need. Think about the times that cravings hit, why you are craving and what you can do to combat the craving.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job!!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I'm moving in 3 months and 3 weeks to England to start school, so I know I'm on my way to a better future, and I know that the situation I'm in now will only make me stronger. Honestly, I think it keeps me from becoming complacent. Also, like others have said, I have come to terms with the fact that this is a forever thing. I can't ever have another drink, and that does make it easier. Must less tempting. I've made it through day six now and I'm not about to ruin that.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Working at a bar and trying to quit, now that's ambitious! But good for you.

On a related note, I know a person whose brother is on death row (it is not a pretty story). The person I know also is a long term AA member. If asked, he just says his brother has a "terminal illness."

Ulcer stories are fine, to finesse this. People drinking in a bar are not sticklers for logic, in the first place.