SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Did anyone do outpatient rehab? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390532-did-anyone-do-outpatient-rehab.html)

jseattle 04-30-2016 04:53 PM

Did anyone do outpatient rehab?

I have had a week and a half of intensive outpatient rehab (5 days a week, 5 hours a day). It is a lot easier than white knuckling through withdrawals, etc. and it has been good to focus on getting stronger every day. They also have a psychiatrist who is helpful with identifying medications to address cravings, anxiety, etc. Finally, peeing in a cup 3 times a week keeps me accountable.

Picking up the phone was the hardest thing I've ever done. I am a very high functioning alcoholic. No one except me knew.

The weight off of my shoulders has been tremendous. The shame is gone. And, now that the secret is out, I feel like I can't trick myself into thinking I can go back and have "just one."

Just sharing - would be interested if others have tried this and the pros/cons vs. inpatient, AA only, or private recovery.

least 04-30-2016 05:03 PM

I didn't do IOP but did have to see an addiction counselor as a result of being sent to detox by our addictions agency. It turned out for the best as I finally got sober and really came to like and appreciate my counselor. :)

JeffreyAK 04-30-2016 05:27 PM

I did quite a lot of outpatient treatment in 2010-11, a couple months of 7 days a week/all day (Sunday was a short day) and later, 2 months of 5 days a week/all day followed by 3 months of 2 days a week for a couple hours each. Saved my life for sure. :)

You might be surprised later on, though, to find that you weren't as clever as you think, and people did know but didn't say anything to you about it. ;)

jseattle 04-30-2016 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by JeffreyAK (Post 5931573)
I did quite a lot of outpatient treatment in 2010-11, a couple months of 7 days a week/all day (Sunday was a short day) and later, 2 months of 5 days a week/all day followed by 3 months of 2 days a week for a couple hours each. Saved my life for sure. :)

You might be surprised later on, though, to find that you weren't as clever as you think, and people did know but didn't say anything to you about it. ;)

I'm sure you are right about that. However many of people who I've told were stunned. My AV is extremely devious and creative at hiding things and I am a quiet drunk. When I told my husband everything that I've done for the past 2 years he couldn't believe it.

I don't think I could have done it this time without real help (and more than AA). I see people trying to quit on their own, and I just can't imagine.

It still sucks. I'm only 12 days out, but glad to be going back to rehab on Monday. I will be very proud to have a clear alcohol test and it is nice to be around others facing the same demons.

Gottalife 05-01-2016 03:08 AM

I don't know if any impatient or outpatient rehab or detox would claim to be the total answer. They generally seem to think that some ongoing program is required at least for the foreseeable future. So many people go to hospital, like I did actually, and quite naturally think that all those clued up people with all the letters after their names will fix them.

They didn't fix me. They sorted the problem of withdrawal, fixed up some of the physical damage, but did not manage to make any progress with my thinking. I ignored their advice and ended up drinking for another year.

At the end of that time I went to AA, which was their advice, drank one more time, then actually joined AA, and never drank again.

There is only so much a rehab can do with alcoholics of my type in the time they have. There needs to be something deeper going on. something medicine can't create, a change in my attitude to life. That may be a longer term project, unless a miracle happens.

Flawed 05-01-2016 10:16 AM

I'm in IOP three days a weeks for three hours, and it has helped me. I also see one of the counselors there once a week and go to AA as well. My IOP has an alumni group as well for additional support once you "graduate". Best of luck to you, keep at it!