SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Effects of alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390428-effects-alcohol.html)

sammysmith 04-29-2016 02:41 AM

Effects of alcohol

Hi guys. Day 2 of being sober. Just wondered if things that were affecting you after going sober cleared up. My speech has become slightly slurred worryingly, as has my ability to concentrate and think clearly. Sooo worried this will become permenant. What are the chances? Did anyone else have these symptoms and does it go away? 😩

Dee74 04-29-2016 02:50 AM

I certainly had problems focusing and concentrating but slurred speech would see me going to the Dr if I was you.

Best to be safe than sorry with things like that.

D

sammysmith 04-29-2016 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5928799)
I certainly had problems focusing and concentrating but slurred speech would see me going to the Dr if I was you.

Best to be safe than sorry with things like that.

D

I'll see how I go, I'm giving it a few days and then if it's not picked up I'll do it :)

trachemys 04-29-2016 03:23 AM

Hey, when you get sober, you notice things more.

Gottalife 04-29-2016 04:06 AM

Hand eye coordination seems to go out for a while. Became very self conscious about my clumsy movements. But it got better eventually.

sammysmith 04-29-2016 04:14 AM

My concentration is affecting my ability to read and I love reading. Forcing myself to read each day to improve my cognitive impairment. Hopefully this will improve things.

Soberwolf 04-29-2016 04:19 AM

I was like that in the beginning my mind body & soul were shot to pieces a bit of a nervous wreck - seeing the dr helped

BBQBOY 04-29-2016 06:37 AM

Everything has gotten better without the drink!! It does take time for the nervous system to calm down. I didn't get this sick all at once, so I didn't figure I would get well all at once.....Hang in there it does get better. I am about a year sober and my functions are the best they have been 20 yrs.

Gottalife 04-29-2016 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by sammysmith (Post 5928880)
My concentration is affecting my ability to read and I love reading. Forcing myself to read each day to improve my cognitive impairment. Hopefully this will improve things.

I remember something like that. I'd read a couple of pages, then have to go back to figure out what had happened. I kept losing the thread. It did get better.

graced333 04-29-2016 07:27 AM

Hi! My reading and comprehension skills, after 90 days of sobriety, are just now returning. For years I was convinced that if I stopped the benzos, I would never regain any clarity. Guess what? Not true!!! Ah, the addicted mind lies...

Bird615 04-29-2016 07:51 AM

I love reading and when I first ended up in a treatment centre, my concentration was so gone, I couldn't even read a comic book. It did get better in time.

sammysmith 04-30-2016 02:01 AM

I'm finding my concentration is there in the morning, mid-day it wanes and then for some reason there at night time. I am tired all of the time so I've been going to bed early, taking vitamins. Also my stomach is upset. But I'm eating healthy and balanced meals. Omelette for breakfast, chicken salads for lunch and dinner vegetable stir fry. Drinking plenty of sparkling mineral water to boot :D

Jackandbess2 04-30-2016 01:50 PM

I had slurred speech for about 3 weeks.

Dee74 04-30-2016 04:53 PM

hows the speech today sammy?

D

sammysmith 05-01-2016 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5931511)
hows the speech today sammy?

D

Hi Dee. It's totally FINE!! I'm on day 4 and very tired, but the slurred speech has gone. It was merely a symptom of withdrawal. The foggy head is going, but I am soooo tired!

Soberwolf 05-01-2016 12:12 PM

Congrats on day 4 Sammy

MelindaFlowers 05-01-2016 10:35 PM

When I stopped drinking I felt sped up (like on speed) yet very tired at the same time. I felt hyper aware of what was going around me but in a fog.

I had drank to the point where my central nervous system didn't know what to do or how to function without alcohol. I am very happy to report that my central nervous system is back to normal.