SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390388-does-non-alcoholic-wine-count-alcohol-free-says-0-05-whole-bottle.html)

sammysmith 04-28-2016 10:15 AM

Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle...

It's actually really nice too :)

doggonecarl 04-28-2016 10:35 AM

I found there were hundreds of beverages that did not try to emulate my DOC (drink of choice), which for me was beer. So no NA beer for me.

Non-alcoholic beer (or wine) is for non-alcoholics, IMHO.

sammysmith 04-28-2016 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 5927754)
I found there were hundreds of beverages that did not try to emulate my DOC (drink of choice), which for me was beer. So no NA beer for me.

Non-alcoholic beer (or wine) is for non-alcoholics, IMHO.

My DOC is now non alcoholic wine 😂😂

Soberwolf 04-28-2016 10:56 AM

Hey Sammy I m not one for NA beers/wines etc as it's too close to the real thing (for me, each to thier own) eventually il say screw it and il go for the real thing but that's me

I remember you saying about mocktails which look sophisticated and have 0.00% alcohol and it doesn't try to taste like alcohol

don't think I'm shooting you down x

Sober in the City: 20 Summer Mocktail Recipes to Try Now | Autostraddle

Anna 04-28-2016 11:00 AM

Yeah, it's not for me, either.

least 04-28-2016 11:02 AM

Since I drank wine to get drunk, and not for the taste, I don't like NA wine.

suki44883 04-28-2016 11:02 AM

If it contains any alcohol at all, it is not alcohol free.

FLCamper 04-28-2016 11:17 AM

I don't even use mouthwash with alcohol. .05% alcohol is still alcohol. There are too many other options for drinks. I wouldn't tempt myself.
And, I'm with Least - I drank it for one purpose.

ScottFromWI 04-28-2016 11:17 AM

NA beer/wine is an oft-discussed topic here. It's really up to you to decide what your motivations are in drinking it or whether or not you can safely consume it. Many have reported that it leads back to drinking regular wine/beer, others drink it on occasion with no problems. You need to make the decision for yourself, no one here is "keeping track".

Carlotta 04-28-2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by sammysmith (Post 5927778)
My DOC is now non alcoholic wine 😂😂

Since you already know what you want to do and are doing it and laughing about it, what was the purpose of your original post?

I drank to get drunk so I don't see any purpose in drinking non alcoholic wine or beer. You are an adult and you can do whatever you want.
Just from being around those forums for some years now I can tell you that people in early sobriety who make a big to do about drinking non alcoholic wine/beer sooner or later end end up "relapsing" on the real thing.
Deep inside, they were just not ready and were still playing games with themselves.

Good luck to you

Carlotta 04-28-2016 11:51 AM

I see from another thread that today is your first day sober and that you are detoxing yourself.
Do you have a plan?

sammysmith 04-28-2016 12:24 PM

Yes. To keep off booze...

Fabela 04-28-2016 12:26 PM

And how are you going to accomplish that?

sammysmith 04-28-2016 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5927781)
Hey Sammy I m not one for NA beers/wines etc as it's too close to the real thing (for me, each to thier own) eventually il say screw it and il go for the real thing but that's me

I remember you saying about mocktails which look sophisticated and have 0.00% alcohol and it doesn't try to taste like alcohol

don't think I'm shooting you down x

Sober in the City: 20 Summer Mocktail Recipes to Try Now | Autostraddle

Well I've invested in a soda stream so can start making these and sasparila :)

Fabela 04-28-2016 12:33 PM

You sound like some of my students. They say they want good grades, but when I ask them how they are going to achieve that, they have no idea. And in the end they usually don't do well.

Jackandbess2 04-28-2016 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by sammysmith (Post 5927722)
It's actually really nice too :)

I have been sober for two and a bit years now and I have a glass of non alcoholic wine with my meal most nights and swear by the fact that it has played a massive part in me staying off the real thing. I make sure that it is chilled and I drink it from a proper large wine glass. I even take it to restaurants with me.
Do what you need to do to stay sober and if it is drinking non alcoholic wines or beers then so be it.
Enjoy!

freshstart57 04-28-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by suki44883 (Post 5927791)
If it contains any alcohol at all, it is not alcohol free.

Lots of things contain alcohol, from trace amounts all the way up to fractions of a percent ABV. If you are going to remove everything from your consumption list that has even trace amounts, you are going to be one very surprised and disappointed camper. You would include virtually everything and I mean everything that has sugar or starch, and yeast, or has been exposed to yeast.

Does it make sense to talk at all about avoiding things that have trace amounts of alcohol because of their alcohol content? Maybe it makes sense to talk more about what it is, rather than if it contains trace amounts of alcohol.

Information is the remedy here. Inform yourself and make your own decision.

sammysmith 04-28-2016 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Fabela (Post 5927909)
You sound like some of my students. They say they want good grades, but when I ask them how they are going to achieve that, they have no idea. And in the end they usually don't do well.

With all due respect, you know nothing about me- so why judge?

sammysmith 04-28-2016 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jackandbess2 (Post 5927911)
I have been sober for two and a bit years now and I have a glass of non alcoholic wine with my meal most nights and swear by the fact that it has played a massive part in me staying off the real thing. I make sure that it is chilled and I drink it from a proper large wine glass. I even take it to restaurants with me.
Do what you need to do to stay sober and if it is drinking non alcoholic wines or beers then so be it.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the constructive and supportive reply. That's what I intend to do also. Keep it for treats. Tonight was about testing the waters with a variety of cordials, flavoured waters and NA drinks to see what I like and what I don't. Once the soda stream arrives, it'll be interesting to start carbonating my down sasparila. Love that stuff :)

Fabela 04-28-2016 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by sammysmith (Post 5927915)
With all due respect, you know nothing about me- so why judge?

I don't know you at all. I merely said that you sound like some of my students. If it sounds like a duck...