Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle...

Notices

Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free".It says 0.05% for the whole bottle...

Old 04-28-2016, 12:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Lots of things contain alcohol, from trace amounts all the way up to fractions of a percent ABV. If you are going to remove everything from your consumption list that has even trace amounts, you are going to be one very surprised and disappointed camper. You would include virtually everything and I mean everything that has sugar or starch, and yeast, or has been exposed to yeast.

Does it make sense to talk at all about avoiding things that have trace amounts of alcohol because of their alcohol content? Maybe it makes sense to talk more about what it is, rather than if it contains trace amounts of alcohol.

Information is the remedy here. Inform yourself and make your own decision.
Well that's what me and DH have done. We've spent the first day of my sobriety experimenting with all sorts of alternatives to alcohol. So far Belvoir Elderflower cordial and NA white wine are nice. Soda stream results will follow
Old 04-28-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I don't know you at all. I merely said that you sound like some of my students. If it sounds like a duck...
It's probably made of wood...
Old 04-28-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Lots of things contain alcohol, from trace amounts all the way up to fractions of a percent ABV. If you are going to remove everything from your consumption list that has even trace amounts, you are going to be one very surprised and disappointed camper. You would include virtually everything and I mean everything that has sugar or starch, and yeast, or has been exposed to yeast.

Does it make sense to talk at all about avoiding things that have trace amounts of alcohol because of their alcohol content? Maybe it makes sense to talk more about what it is, rather than if it contains trace amounts of alcohol.

Information is the remedy here. Inform yourself and make your own decision.
Yes, I am well aware that; however, the question was...Does non alcoholic wine count as "alcohol free". I stand by what I said. If it has any alcohol at all, it is not alcohol free.
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I don't know you at all. I merely said that you sound like some of my students. If it sounds like a duck...
It's probably made of wood and therefore...a wiiiiiitch!
  # 25 (permalink)  
totfit

The amount of alcohol that might be present in the NA wine is similar to what might be in fruit juice naturally. So for those that say any alcohol is too much should stay away from that also. I agree that if they set off a craving because they are too similar mentally, then stay away. Otherwise, there should be no harm. I don't regularly drink N/A beer, but on rare occasion after a run or time in the sun, it is a nice change of pace.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If anyone is confused by the above. Please watch Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail
Old 04-28-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I would never, ever even consider drinking NA beer, wine, shooters or whatever.

I have spent a fair amount of money and years of my life trying to not drink the very concoctions they emulate.

Your mileage and recovery may vary, but I would never get near anything like this.

Perrier, other carbonated waters, iced tea and diet soft drinks do fine with me.

So far, drinking them has not cost me any jobs or relationships, nor have they resulted in any trips to jail or the emergency room.

And I don't use mouthwash either.

I'm not putting the barrel of that gun in my mouth.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Sammy, I used to drink red wine to get drunk, I never ever drank beer.
Sometimes, but probably twice since sober (5months) I have had a couple of evenings drinking Becks blue (NA lager) I enjoyed the quench and taste, and I liked drinking out of a bottle. But all I will say is I wouldn't drink it more than that as it is so full of processing that I feel crappie the next day. I wouldn't want to drink NA wine cus I would just buy red grape juice and save a whole lot of money.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sammy -

I just saw that you are new to not drinking.

I sure wish you the best - well all do.

While I don't drink NA wine or beer, I drink diet root beer and diet cream soda every evening after dinner.

Everyone on this thread wants you to succeed.

If some of us sound very serious about issues involving alcohol, it's because not drinking alcohol remains a life and death issue to us.

Your thread poses an issue with respect to which you are seeking advice.

You may not want to push away the advice of people who have been very successful at what you are trying to do (not drink any more alcohol).

You don't have to follow out advice, but you asked for it and may want to refrain from challenging people who are responding to your inquiry.

Like I said, we all want you to succeed.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Folks - let's all keep personal arguments/judgments/comments out of the public forums and stay on the original topic please.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

i used to be a crackhead. found me some crack free crack.
think i should smoke it?
Old 04-28-2016, 01:35 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Do your best

I know a few people who drink NA beer & Wine & all of them are SR peeps check out all the previous threads it's not for me but each to thier own people

this is why I suggest mocktails ?

Seconding & thirding Scott's post
Old 04-28-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

SS,

I drink NA champagne all the time -- no trigger at all. Also NA mojitos etc. Don't like NA or beer. But others have had different experiences, so I think the question is whether it is worth the risk. I had drunk the NA stuff when I was pregnant and knew it would be OK.

But, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, each of us knows our motivation in doing what we do, and as long as your intent is to stay sober and this helps, I think only you can decide.

I want to say about your charity gal, I have met just her type in London and I am with you -- forget the resentment stuff, those folks are just rude.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi sammy, been following this thread a bit. I personally don't like the taste of alcohol so the NA wines and beers don't appeal to me. The other topic that comes up now and then is cooking with items that have alcohol in them. I don't have an issue with it. I drank to get drunk and if there is a little wine sauce in my duck dinner, I'll sleep just fine at night. I wish you the best.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Personally I believe ''non alcoholic wine /beer ''are for non -alcoholics think that makes sense .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006 .
Old 04-28-2016, 02:21 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Most in sobriety will say, don't drink non alcoholic drinks.

One needs to decide for themself.
Am I playing with fire?
I surly don't want to get burned again -- do I ?

M-Bob
Old 04-28-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I wanted to try this once ... but was talked out of it. Drinking without the effect may just make you want the effect even more. It may frustrate you. Better to move forward with a new lifestyle .. instead of trying to make the old one still work.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yep, a common topic. And one that always yields varying opinions.

My own 2 cents: I wouldn't touch fake beer or wine with a 10-foot pole. One of the first pieces of advice I read here was that they make us nostalgic for the real thing. And that nostalgia can take us places we don't want to go -- to the real thing. Made sense to me.

In sobriety, I've found it helpful to build entirely new habits. Sparkling mineral water with cranberry is a favorite if I'm out, as is ginger beer with a twist of lime. I've also enjoyed trying new teas.

It's been a helpful tactic in achieving sobriety and maintaining recovery. I can see the three-year mark on the horizon so it's a tip I'm always happy to share with others as they work to change their lives.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

The percentage of alcohol is really a red herring for me. It's behaviors that concern me more with NA drinks.

substitute NA wine for beer and you'll get the gist.

Originally Posted by Me
My experience is I don't drink NA beer because it looked like beer, felt like a can of beer, it smelt like beer, it had that same condensation thing on the can like a beer, the same fizz and foam when you pop the can, tasted like beer (kinda)....

Then I'd wonder why I'd go out everytime and get 'real' beer.
I was still knee deep in old behaviours, and didn't even realise it.

As a former beer drinker I know it ticks all the boxes for me, and opens the door to old behaviour and old thought paterns.

I don't recommend it.

I don't need to know but maybe ask yourself why would you choose NA beer when there's so many other things to drink, though?

Is it really the taste of a beer you want, or are there other things happening here as well?

D
Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I read a story on here once about someone who ordered a NA beer at a restaurant, and they brought him a real one by accident. He drank it, didn't stop there and ended up completely drunk.

Like others said, it's playing with fire in my opinion.