Notices

Ending it. Detox time!

Old 04-27-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ending it. Detox time!

That's it. I've had enough. Ending my alcoholism! I'm doing detox! Since I can't get the help right away, I've decided to self detox. During the past 2 days, I have tapered off. Now it's time to dooooooo it! So self detoxers, your advice please! Obviously it's steer well clear of the pub and supermarket booze isle!
Old 04-27-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Sammy can I ask how much you used to drink the reason I ask is because it can be fatally dangerous going cold turkey I did go cold turkey but it isn't advised

did you get any joy at the GP ?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have you seen a doctor?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
Hi Sammy can I ask how much you used to drink the reason I ask is because it can be fatally dangerous going cold turkey

did you get any joy at the GP ?
I probably drank about a bottle of wine a day. Tapered it to two standard 175ml glasses now.

She referred me to a facility that is open 9-12. I work on the other side of the City and I'm needed at work for my team. I can only go there if I get time off, which won't happen in the near future. That's the one with the snooty staff
😂😂

Anyway she did refer me also to an amazing support charity, who can see me in the evenings and to boot were ultra professional. They treated me like a person and not a symptom. So I am going to arrange a meeting with them.

Before I go, I would at least like to show willing and start the process myself. I just don't want to drink anymore. Sure I will have cravings, but I know in my mind the way forward is to ditch the alcohol.

I've bought a bajillion multi vitamins to assist (thiamine, B complex, iron, multi-vitamins, celenium and milk thistle). I've tapered off for two days. Tomorrow I will stop and see how I go.

I will still see the detox place as soon as I am able, but hopefully they can give me long term advice.

I'll see the charity for support hopefully soon also!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Have you seen a doctor?
Yep and she wouldn't help me other than give me a number for support. She was a nice lady though.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe you should see a different doctor? Doing this on your own can be risky.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
Maybe you should see a different doctor? Doing this on your own can be risky.

You should try and get an appointment that quickly in London. Absolute joke. Let's just say we are a large community!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

With acceptance like that Sammy you sound like your building a good plan, im happy for you that you got in touch with an amazing support charity that treated you like a person x

Know you will have us for support 24/7 whenever you need

Happy for you Sammy
Old 04-27-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
With acceptance like that Sammy you sound like your building a good plan, im happy for you that you got in touch with an amazing support charity that treated you like a person x

Know you will have us for support 24/7 whenever you need

Happy for you Sammy
10 days here I come! That's the average "rehab" time I think.

Watching a TV programme where a man died from alcoholism made me want to do this!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

If you start to feel overwhelmed or feel urges or cravings come online there's will always be someone here the mods here are excellent too here's some links to read over if you want

Did you catch the Louis Theroux documentry on bbc2 last Sunday ? (I can give you YouTube links ?)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8YOa65-olQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7fh2y2aDMc

Courtesy of Dee74/D
Old 04-27-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The one I watched was "Jaywick Benefits by the Sea" where the most lovely guy who once had it all, sadly died from alcohol
Old 04-27-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

On a lighter note on this thread. This weekend my friend got 3 small dead crickets served up as a "garnish" on her cocktail. Yeah, that's what I thought, why?! I think I'll be sticking to mocktails and sparkling water
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
now's the time

Self detox is totally doable. You should be prepared to have symptoms throughout the first five days or so, with the peak about 72 hours in. Exercise is your friend. Your sleep will be disrupted and you may have a lot of anxiety and agitation.

What I did was make a deal with myself that for the first 30 days I was basically "allowed" to do whatever I wanted as long as it wasn't drinking. So I ate what i wanted, vegged out, did whatever I needed to to get through.

You can do this! It's not easy but honestly it's not so bad. Promise yourself 30 days no matter what. 30 days gets you through the bulk of the big brain chemistry fluctuations, although the residual ones do take longer.

Happy for you
Old 04-27-2016, 02:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
Self detox is totally doable. You should be prepared to have symptoms throughout the first five days or so, with the peak about 72 hours in. Exercise is your friend. Your sleep will be disrupted and you may have a lot of anxiety and agitation.

What I did was make a deal with myself that for the first 30 days I was basically "allowed" to do whatever I wanted as long as it wasn't drinking. So I ate what i wanted, vegged out, did whatever I needed to to get through.

You can do this! It's not easy but honestly it's not so bad. Promise yourself 30 days no matter what. 30 days gets you through the bulk of the big brain chemistry fluctuations, although the residual ones do take longer.

Happy for you
I've decided I'm going to bake and learn to knit!!! Also I have a wonderful cocktail shaker that will be utilised to make all manner of juices!! I've set myself the challenge also of making the yummiest of icecreams
Old 04-27-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sammysmith View Post
I've decided I'm going to bake and learn to knit!!! Also I have a wonderful cocktail shaker that will be utilised to make all manner of juices!! I've set myself the challenge also of making the yummiest of icecreams

That's juices as in mocktails! Non alcoholic 😍
Old 04-27-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you! Stay strong and take care of yourself
Old 04-27-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

2 days is not a taper. Tapering is slowly lowering a dosage over a period of time.

Please seek real medical advice as stopping drinking can be VERY dangerous!!!
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Sounds extremely positive! Stay strong. I suggest you start to write down your sobriety plan. It will help you and prepare you mentally should cravings hit or you falter psychologically. Especially good if you're a structured organised type! I'm glad you are forging ahead and not letting the snooty staff from the charity you wrote about get to you. These are early days and it's normal to feel emotional, fragile and sensitive as you face up to big realities and challenges. Stick with the programme, and you will not regret it.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Sammy x
Old 04-28-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I definitely see a difference in how I am today compared with most days. Because I've not drank as much, I feel very alert in this morning. I told my fiancé last night about what I am doing. He said I was too beautiful and clever to waste myself on alcohol *nawwww*