SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Still not sleeping well, or much. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/390199-still-not-sleeping-well-much.html)

sleepie 04-25-2016 02:45 PM

Still not sleeping well, or much.

Still not sleeping properly. I know that some here took benzos as well and drank as I did- and so had some insomnia... but this is a bit much. It's been just over 4 months total for sobriety from benzos and drinking. But before that I had over 3 months free of drinking, a few slips but no big benders. It's kind of more like, 9 months of practically no drinking at all. I mean is this heard of, to still not be sleeping well for so, so long?

I know al the sleep hygiene tactics and that sort of thing. But I am 24/7 anxiety ridden and just do not sleep.

I am so tired of being tired all the time. I am starting to get scared here. I feel as if my life is over, instead of starting. It seems many who beat their addictions do feel as if life is beginning. There is no sense of renewal or hope for me. Starting to wonder if I will ever feel this way.

D122y 04-25-2016 03:19 PM

I am tired too sometimes.

I get at least 5 hours a day. Sometimes 7.

Anymore and I feel sluggish. Any less...I nap.

Do you work? Do you work out?

Drinking sometimes will mess up the sleep pattern.

Don't lay in bed unless you are going to sleep or nap. Bed is for that only.

Get a sleep routine. You might try to give yourself a 10 our sleep session, where you try to stay in bed 10 hours straight. You might only sleep 7...but it takes 10 to get 7.

Those are some of my techs. To sleep.

Sleeping is so important. It is up there with water and food.

Delizadee 04-25-2016 04:19 PM

(((Sleepie)))
Have you talked to your Dr about sleep aids?

I have a super awesome Dr who gave me a fairly generous prescription for a sleeping pill. I don't find it habit forming as once I'm able to get a couple solid weeks of good sleep I will take a half pill for a few nights and stick to a good consistent bedtime schedule and then was able to maintain a good sleep schedule as long as I stay sober.

Have you tried melatonin at all? I try to keep up with your posts but I'm not sure if you exercise or not? I found getting a bit of fresh air and about 20 mins of exercise thru the day really helps to lift my mood and get me sleepy enough for bed. As well as warm tea, I used to drink sleepy time tea years ago and liked it. A warm cup of tea before bed is like a warm bath for your insides.

I've had sleep issues forever too. I feel your pain. My worst insomnia came with my worst drinking. If I couldn't sleep in sobriety I would lose my marbles. So :hug:

sleepie 04-25-2016 04:44 PM

I think may be losing the marbles!

I try and exercise but usually I am too exhausted to do much but drag myself through another day. It is rather miserable. I was working, and working a lot and even then I was not sleeping at night and often went to work on no sleep.

When I do get a little cardio in it does not seem to make a difference.

I used to have this trouble in my pre-drinking life as well and it boiled down to feeling unfulfilled in life and generally not living the way I needed to. Things are different now and I still can't sleep though. Way to anxious.

I cannot do sleeping pills. I am afraid of a reaction because I was getting withdrawals from them just like benzos. My brain just got too acclimated.

Delizadee 04-25-2016 04:51 PM

Gotcha. Have you tried ever any pre bedtime guided meditation? This is going to be my next go to. And some youtube hypnosis/meditation stuff.

I hope we can help you find and keep your marbles.

fantail 04-25-2016 07:10 PM

My sleep's a mess too. All winter I had Mystery Health Problem and was sleeping up to 16 hours a night. Now the inflammation is gone and my insomnia's back. I'm a lifer with insomnia too. I have read studies that show that the disruption from alcohol abuse (not sure about benzos) can have effects on sleep patterns for 18 months + after quitting. Which is disheartening but at least it means that there's still healing happening and maybe smoother seas ahead.

sleepie 04-25-2016 07:14 PM

Goodness fantail. 18 months. Wow well I wonder though if that means never sleeping until then? I am glad nothing turned up after all your tests. I hate tests and am sick of them, I can only imagine how you felt :hug:

Deliza I may try that pre-bed meditation... sometimes I ma falling asleep watching tv with the bf, then as soon as I am under the blankets... this, that and everything bothers me and I am wide awake again.

Notimetoloose 04-25-2016 07:22 PM

Sleepie, I, also can get sleep problems. I find it runs in cycles. I will have periods of great sleep and then I just can not sleep no matter how tired.
Do you have a bath?, Magnesium (Epsom salts) baths can sometimes do the trick a couple of hours before your bed time.

sleepie 04-25-2016 07:24 PM

Ok I was taking magnesium for awhile. This is just never sleep, or sleep during the day, sure I am rested when I sleep til 4 in the afternoon, after falling asleep at 7 a.m. !

Delfin 04-25-2016 09:51 PM

Hey, Sleeps,

I've been having the same problem for about 5 or 6 weeks and I know it's because my anxiety has come back. I was feeling really great for a while. Dealing with my anxiety helps me sleep. I think it will for you too. Get at the root cause you know. Ruminating, catatrophising, etc, etc. I went off my Sertraline soon after I quit last July and dont really want to go back on so I'm trying to figure out what to do now too. Let me know if you come up with something. I'm too tired to think from not sleeping. :headbange

D.

P.s. I'm glad you're here cause I don't feel so alone in this. Misery loves company or some such sad thing. Lol.

Delfin 04-25-2016 09:59 PM

And I'm sorry I don't have anything helpful to say. :(

D.

sleepie 04-25-2016 10:21 PM

Always good to see you Delf :hug:

Soberwolf 04-25-2016 10:56 PM

Hey Sleepie I used to suffer the exact same way you did especially so at 4 months sober there was nights where I just didn't sleep I wasn't trying to break any records it was just really bad insomnia

I wrestled trying to get a good sleep routine going like if I spent the whole night up then I'd do my upmost to stay awake all day aswell so I'd hopefully be tired by the night and be able to get some rest and reset my body clock (I'm not advising this it's just what I done to try & beat it)

it wasn't overnight and I hear your concerns about sleep medication which I really commend you for :hug:

The things that helped me with insomnia were staying away from caffeine, reading lots, guided sleep talkdown meditation, not snacking at night, dimming the lights down, turning electriconic devices off PC, computer, tablet, tv,

These are some links to help also

https://sleepfoundation.org

Delfin 04-26-2016 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by soberwolf (Post 5923630)
Hey Sleepie I used to suffer the exact same way you did especially so at 4 months sober there was nights where I just didn't sleep I wasn't trying to break any records it was just really bad insomnia

I wrestled trying to get a good sleep routine going like if I spent the whole night up then I'd do my upmost to stay awake all day aswell so I'd hopefully be tired by the night and be able to get some rest and reset my body clock (I'm not advising this it's just what I done to try & beat it)

it wasn't overnight and I hear your concerns about sleep medication which I really commend you for :hug:

The things that helped me with insomnia were staying away from caffeine, reading lots, guided sleep talkdown meditation, not snacking at night, dimming the lights down, turning electriconic devices off PC, computer, tablet, tv,

These are some links to help also

https://sleepfoundation.org

This is helpful, SW. I need to try the sleep talkdown meditation especially.

D.

entropy1964 04-26-2016 04:47 AM

Somnapure works for me. I also take a sleep aide. I would talk to your dr. Prolonged lack of sleep can be unhealthy.

graced333 04-26-2016 04:52 AM

My years long addiction with benzos almost destroyed my natural sleep pattern. But, I have noticed over the past few days, that sleep is coming easier. Magnesium and Folic acid supplements, Sleepytime tea, simple yoga moves, reading and no computer before bed have helped alot. Been 3 months now and I am counting my blessings that I even remember my name sometimes!!!

zjw 04-26-2016 06:05 AM

sleep is fleeting for me sleepie tho i've done better the past however many months I suppose. I tried the magnesium thing that really didnt go so well started off great slept well was very relaxed but umm too relaxed and didnt wanna do nothing i cant have that.

Usually when i have the tired all the time stuff going on its when i'm drinking or consuming caffine in some form. caffine always starts off great a bad nigghts rest a cup of caffinated coffee and i'm like superman then i'm hooked and then i get like adrenal fatigue or something and i'm tired all the itme and still struggling to sleep.

After a lot of trial and error tho I now get a patchy nights rest and i sleep on the floor every night. Dunno why but its what works best for me. I'm stil up and down 0293192032109 times to pee no idea what to do about that.

and to still have issues at this point seems normal to me. I'm almost 5 years and still struggling. I think i'm just an antsy anxious person so its just gonna be a struggle. I practically have daily routine/rituals to keep myself calm.

yinzer 04-26-2016 06:29 AM

That guided meditation at bedtime really helped me. Also, I diffuse lavender essential oil and that helps, believe it or now.

BBQBOY 04-26-2016 08:02 AM

Sleepie, I've been taking Trazadone at night and it has really helped. Trazadone is a old anti-depressant which is being prescribed for its sleep inducing qualities. It is not habit forming, and I haven't had any side effects. Maybe ask your Dr. Best Wishes

ScottFromWI 04-26-2016 08:36 AM

I still deal with anxiety and sometimes have a bad night of sleep because of it several years into sobriety. Staying away from tablets/computers/TV for at least an hour before bed seems to help a lot. Also not eating or drinking anything significant close to bedtime. All the usual things apply to - eating well, exercise, treating my anxiety through the tools I use, etc.