SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Couple of questions about foods cooked with alcohol (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/389687-couple-questions-about-foods-cooked-alcohol.html)

Jack465 04-17-2016 10:51 PM

Couple of questions about foods cooked with alcohol

I read some old threads on this topic and I couldn't seem to find a definitive answer on whether foods cooked with alcohol could actually make someone go into withdrawal or not. So I would prefer to avoid eating foods cooked with alcohol if possible. It will be a lot simpler that way.

I had a couple of questions about this...

When you are eating out at restaurants and such, if some of their dishes are cooked with alcohol are they required to state that? eg: by mentioning it in the name of the dish, which I often see?

If you are a guest at someone's house and they have no clue that you are an alcoholic, what if they serve you something cooked with alcohol and you don't know? I realize there's probably not a lot we can do in this situation, but is this worth worrying about? Has anyone actually gone into withdrawal from eating food cooked with alcohol, or known anyone that has? Or is the amount of alcohol involved not enough to have that effect?

Thanks

Dee74 04-17-2016 11:02 PM

I'm pretty conservative on this Jack but I've never heard of a cooked meal sending anyone into withdrawal, but that's not really the point for me tho :)

If I'm at a restaurant and I'm not sure about a dish I'll ask.

If I'm a guest at someones house I can usually tell if alcohol is in the meal....in the 2 times it's happened over 10 years, it's usually in a sauce or something - I'll just scrape the sauce off....probably leave a fair deal of the meal.

if it's all through the meal, I wouldn't eat it - not because I think I'd get drunk or anything, just personal preference :)

D

MelindaFlowers 04-18-2016 01:03 AM

I avoid food that contains alcohol. It's incredibly easy to do this. I'd say 99 percent of foods do not contain alcohol.

Jack465 04-18-2016 06:39 AM

So am I worrying about nothing? As long as I use common sense and avoid it where possible, I should be ok?

Gottalife 04-18-2016 07:02 AM

There would be a certain concentration of alcohol that may be enough to trigger the craving. Desserts steeped in brandy would an example. It would be foolish of me to risk it. But I don't have a problem with say a red wine jus. It is a matter of personal choice, but I am careful that I don't accidentally get a large dose. I am very vigilant about that.

ScottFromWI 04-18-2016 07:23 AM

I personally think the psychological ramifications are far more serious than the possible physical reaction to a minute amount of alcohol. If you don't feel comfortable just don't eat foods cooked with it. Restaurants may not list any item cooked with alcohol on the menu, but you can always just ask.