Notices

bored and sick of treatment

Old 04-15-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

bored and sick of treatment

Hi Everyone,

I have been in treatment for 10 weeks and quite frankly am bored of talking about addiction, being around downtrodden and depressed people, and sick of people making assumptions about me. I think a lot of people in the addiction field try to manipulate and profit by taking advantage of vulnerable people who are trying to get better.

I like AA but I am ready to be done with residential treatment.

Sorry I just needed to vent.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So tell us about your personal ideas for a recovery plan when you get out of treatment

That's a positive focus and your ticket to a sober life.
Glad you are here and vent away
Old 04-15-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt the same way. The place I went would milk the insurance until they wouldn't pay then you were mysteriously cured. I only did 34 days. I did learn a few things and got out of my own way for a while. Stick it out. If nothing else it gives you time to clear your head, do some soul searching and come up with a plan of attack. You can pull through this if you really want it.
Hang in there and good luck!
Old 04-15-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

the director of this program i am in exploits my personal insecurities and tells me i am going to relapse if i leave so she can manipulate my family into keeping me here and so i told my family i am done with it after my 90 days and will go to AA and live in a sober house that is not "treatment' - meaning it is a sober environment without a necessary clinical component. i am sick of being analyzed. it has gotten to the point of doing harm. i am going to work a program of recovery in AA.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Glad you are finding some ways to be positive in an environment you are not comfortable in. And hope you can move to a better facility soon.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

facility? no just a sober house or my own apartment.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No matter how you proceed, keep your eye on the prize. There's going to be some disagreeable things along the way but if you stay strong it will all have been great learning experience. The out come is up to you but if you stay clean it will all have been worth it.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Katie88 View Post
facility? no just a sober house or my own apartment.
Even better! Best of luck in finding a place.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went the AVRT way just for the simplicity of it and living 2 hours away from AA meetings one way was a little much.
But, there seems to be a great treatment center here in Thailand called "The Cabin" ....Chatted a few times with some of the folks who have and stay there...seems to be all right...
Old 04-16-2016, 04:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

i can see the problem, katie. i was in a relationship where she took my inventory on a regular basis- as in many times a day. it drove me bonkers.
when all a person hears about is their character defects and shortcomings...welp, theyre gonna get tired of it. might even start felling like theyre a POS, which is how i started feeling in that relationship. i didnt get sober to feel like a POS and keep having my character defects/shortcomings thrown in my face- i did that just fine on my own.
i got sober to change and feel good about myself.

i got out of that relationship. it took time but i learned even more about myself using the 12 steps.

reads like ya have a good plan,katie.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sounds like you have a great plan moving forward, and that's what's really important. Many people leave treatment with no plan but to go back to the same environment with no support.
I know what you mean about treatment centers. Yes, it is definitely a business designed to make as much money as they can, but I did meet some people that really did care about the clients and those are the one's I remember.
Yeah, some people do enjoy taking people's inventory. One counselor was convinced I was using at the center. Don't know how she came up with that.
It also sounds like you've outgrown a treatment center, and are ready to move on and that's great. I wish you well. John
Old 04-16-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you could have been sober on your own, you probably would have. But you couldn't and your family chose rehab. If you come out of it with the ability to remain sober and work a solid recovery plan, then you've benefited from the time you've spent there.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses - I learned something from each of them. The truth is, i have gained quite a bit from my time in treatment and i wasn't able (nor did i want to) stay sober on my own. I liked the idea of being sober, but hated it in practice. Through three months of treatment i have learned that living sober is possible and can be enjoyable. I am ready to move forward.

Yes, I have been frustrated with some aspects of treatment and would not want to be in it much longer. I am ready to transition to using AA as my primary support for recovery and also working on the other aspects of my life that the addiction took from me.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My thinking got me into the mess I was in. If I hadn't listened to a professional I wouldn't be sober today.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Feeling like you are constantly being analyzed and monitored can get old. I mean, it's true that to an extent that is just part of being in treatment. The things you say and your behavior and your history will be analyzed to kingdom come. So, by the time you reach the end of your 90 days, in some ways you are so ready to get on with life and re-establish your privacy and boundaries. While you are in a residential treatment facility most of your boundaries are drawn for you. It true also, that some counselors you are going to click with and even bond with while others you don't. Luckily your sobriety doesn't depend on what other people think; it ultimately depends on you.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know what you mean.

I even had one ring me up at home when sober and say in a condescending way, "Oh, I can hear you are sober". My psychiatrist reckoned it deserved complaint.

She was touting for customers. A few empty beds?

I wish you the best.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Katie I wouldn't blame you if walked out of there today. Just resolve to stay sober. Period. End of story. Accept sobriety. Embrace it. No one can talk you into not drinking. You have to make this decision. Rehab is a good thing, don't get me wrong. But after 30 days im thinking this is enough. Just my opinion.
Just don't drink. Its that simple.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yeah after 30 days of being analyzed and locked up...its enough. I've been cooperative but can't do it much longer. 10 more days
Old 04-19-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've wondered if boredom could be one of the biggest reasons people end up drifting away and relapsing.
Some say to "keep it simple" but I like best to do a lot of different things to keep myself engaged--write about drinking, watch alcoholism documentaries, joining a program, working on my public speaking skills by forcing myself to talk at meetings, two different online support groups, keeping a journal...There are some ideas. It can definitely help kill the boredom to do different things.

And I also don't like the way some people tear themselves or other people down in recovery. There is too much of that and it accomplishes nothing.
Best of luck

Last edited by red3215; 04-19-2016 at 03:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-19-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

There are so many people in this world with so many different stories and personality types. It's not a one size fits all type of world.

Some treatment centres emphasize boredom as they think that it's necessary to not do anything on weekends So you become more in tune with yourself, that you don't have any other distractions but your own thoughts as many people do drink to escape their thoughts or keep themselves busy in other ways to escape their own thoughts eg. Working lots.

Other treatment centres vigorously try to in grain certain other methods.