Notices

Close call

Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Well done Courage ! Yes, I know what its like to attend the post conference drinks. When there is a free bar, some folks go nuts. I stick to the old rule of always having a soda with me. On having close calls, the only thing recently was the vodka my wife left in the kitchen for days. Really nagged me when I figured it out. Also surprised given its been a while. Anyway, the vodka was taken away and my mood suddenly lifted. Could have been sooo easy to steal a drink. Phew.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:05 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Kaneda!

Lenina, too! Love you all

Another conference thing -- on my arrival I asked the hotel to remove everything from the minibar -- so it wouldn't be calling to me at night, I thought. Like that vodka was whispering to you, Kaneda.

They did. Then day 2 of the trip, after housekeeping, I noticed a bottle of wine on the counter. Sure enough, they'd restocked the minibar. (I didn't bother to complain.)

Next day, I had a bill for $184 worth of tiny little bottles! I told them, if I had drunk the whole bar, the room wouldn't have been quite so tidy.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Ha! Good anecdote to a victorious affair courage.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, a siren song except that afterwards the siren turns into something evil
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

But I'm quite aware that he's one of a small group of people I regret never drinking with. Do you know what I mean?
It's on a par with wondering what a certain beer tastes like cos it wasn't around when you were drinking...absolute ridiculously desperate move by the AV.

I'm glad you resisted, Courage
Old 04-11-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, I mostly drank cheap when wine. White because it didn't stain as much when I drooled or knocked it over. In a large Tupperware cup filled with ice. Tupperware doesn't break when I drop it/knocked it over. Real elegant.

The old AV is so tricky! I didn't drink vodka. But these flavored vodkas kinda perk my interest. Birthday cake flavored vodka....its just so wrong!

And I do use sober reference too. "I've been sober through worst than this and managed." Never once have I regretted staying sober.

Something that bothers me. Sometimes people say to me "just once I'd love to get drunk with you. It would be so fun!" Of course they don't know. The only thing I can think to say is "No fun. Ugly and boring and very messy".

Love from Lenina
Old 04-11-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Alive in the Superunknown

A newcomer to recovery, I'm liking learning about sober references. Good stuff!
Old 04-11-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Xoxo
Old 04-12-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've just seen this thread, courage. So this was the experience to be tackled with leather, shades, and cigarettes?

Well, it would be an understatement to say that I relate to your experience. Conferences used to be some of the edgiest times for me, not going to describe, I am sure you know what I mean. And yes the networking thing without drinking can be challenging. Glad you are handling it well
Old 04-12-2016, 05:39 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's on a par with wondering what a certain beer tastes like cos it wasn't around when you were drinking...absolute ridiculously desperate move by the AV.
Yeah, the glamor lie. It worked when I was 8, sitting at the bar wishing the Shirley Temple was real. I believed in the Easter Bunny, too.

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post

Something that bothers me. Sometimes people say to me "just once I'd love to get drunk with you. It would be so fun!" Of course they don't know.
If they knew, it would be like saying, I'd love to watch you be pathologically self-harming. Sigh.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
p***enger

Hi Thump! Hi Aellyce! Hi jsbodhi! How are you all doing?
Old 04-12-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
Hi Mark --
I first heard "sober reference" when my mom died. I had 80 days at the time, and someone told me that later on, her funeral would be a sober reference. I'd be able to look back and say, well that was pretty bad, and I didn't drink.

You'd think a conference shouldn't be difficult. But it is, for me And so going through it successfully without drinking is something I can reflect on and say, I'm making progress.

Here's a thing -- from Don't Drink And Go To Meetings: My Journey To Recovery by Dan F.
Hey thanks courage.....I find that my references often center around leisure things or activity that is generally out of my comfort zone. A rather nice but out of my box first visit to NYC comes to mind. A sober vacation.....who knew?! Many more on the agenda.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Something that bothers me. Sometimes people say to me "just once I'd love to get drunk with you. It would be so fun!" Of course they don't know. The only thing I can think to say is "No fun. Ugly and boring and very messy". Love from Lenina
Ive heard versions of this too. My response is usually something like, "fun for you maybe, but not for me!" They'd see the 2-3 drink Kittycat who is usually fun, but she always brings around the 4-6 or more drunk Kittycat who is annoying and not fun, and then comes the hangover Kittycat who suffers from anxiety, depression, and complete terrors.....so in a nutshell, no, not fun!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi courage
Old 04-12-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
...I believed in the Easter Bunny, too.
Whoa, whoa, whoa, what are you trying to say here?
Old 04-12-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

This is a reference from being on a trip before I got Sober, and although I was drinking alcoholically (such a nice way to say it - LOL), this is actually about how UNIMPORTANT drinking really is.

We were on a Material Supplier sponsored Fishing Trip. The night before we were all at the Hotel, and of course 'everyone' got well intoxicated on the Free Unlimited Drinks. The next morning while we were getting on the boat, one of the guys made a reference as to how 'lit-up' one of the Sales Reps was the night before. The other Sales Rep quickly corrected him ... that guy absolutely does not drink because of a life-threatening medical condition.

The point is ... none of us even realized the guy wasn't drinking, and especially did not 'recognize' him as being a 'Social Leper' because he wasn't drinking. He had been fully capable of being involved, without any 'Stigma' of NOT DRINKING.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey there!

If you want company in your challenge: tonight I am going to a work-related dinner, it's a farewell party for one of my colleagues who has been working for me very closely for years and I organized this for her actually because I know she expects it. And the group I am going with is quite into drinking. They all know that I don't drink though (well, I did not tell them about my relapse of course) and I don't feel concerned, my temptations are typically about drinking at home alone. But conferences are probably second to that.

In any case, good luck to both of us
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Standard drill Aellyce - think ahead...practice various scenarios - being asked if you want a drink, what to say...what to do if you discover you really want one...and have an escape plan.

D
Old 04-12-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Introspectator

How about attending functions that we "have to," for no longer than we have to, and not putting ourselves in harms way...Anyone(s) that think my drinking with them is significant to being in their "circle" needs to be pruned from my life.

Alcoholism
Old 04-12-2016, 06:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
p***enger

kittycat! Please tell how you're faring -- I've missed seeing you much since cow's been away.

Aellyce, you know I get it. The worst for the work thing is the aftermath -- feeling like now that all that social nonsense is well-performed, a person has earned some peace and quiet and to get down to business with their DOC. What kind of sick mind thinks that way? A sick mind! One that finds simple social pleasures like going-away parties to be trials, and finds their only "satisfaction" in the ghastly void of drinking alone. What a nightmare.

You can, however, wake up from it. I actually enjoyed the wine reception the other night, even though I don't like the people any better than I did before. I came late & left early, spoke to nearly everyone, and kept a smile on my face.

Anyone(s) that think my drinking with them is significant to being in their "circle" needs to be pruned from my life.
I agree but it's been decades since I knew anyone like that. This isn't about that, nor do I think anyone else's posts have described that.

Aellyce, please let us know how the farewell party tonight goes. I'm sure your colleague will appreciate it, and the occasion will be better for having a clear-headed host!