Notices

Hypoglycemia

Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hypoglycemia

how do you deal with Hypoglycemia in recovery? I have pre-diabetes and i've been told to stay away from sugar and put on medication. I eat no sugar and no carbs and now become very shaky and tired. I've done tons of research and everything says that recovering alcoholics should stay away from sugar and caffeine to help with recovery and minimize cravings. I do this but find that I'm extremely tired all the time. Do you stay away from sugar?

Old 04-06-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Your body needs some sugar to survive - I'd let your doctor know how you are feeling to make sure you are getting enough/good nutrition.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a serious question for your endocrinologist.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by girlygirl23 View Post
how do you deal with Hypoglycemia in recovery? I have pre-diabetes and i've been told to stay away from sugar and put on medication. I eat no sugar and no carbs and now become very shaky and tired. I've done tons of research and everything says that recovering alcoholics should stay away from sugar and caffeine to help with recovery and minimize cravings. I do this but find that I'm extremely tired all the time. Do you stay away from sugar?

It is a good tactic to stay away from sugars, including fruits and also non-sugar sweeteners in order to get rid of craving for - sugar (at least).

When it comes to other carbohydrates (starch), no serious diabetes website will tell you that low-carb diet is the only option. It is good to avoid quick carbohydrates: sugars and anything what is made of plain flour (pasta, white bread and other bakery) and, maybe white rice and potatoes. But whole-grain bread and other slow carbohydrates can be OK.

You do not need to eat sugar to have normal blood glucose levels. In fact you can eat zero carbohydrates and have normal blood glucose. But it helps if you eat some slow carbohydrates.

I personally can confirm that slow carbohydrates cause much less craving than fast carbohydrates.

Slow carbohydrates are basically those high in fiber. Here are examples of food high in fiber:
List of Foods High/Low in Fiber; Types, Health Benefits

(Try to not exaggerate with soluble fiber in order to avoid bloating).

If you get actual measurable hypoglycemia, see a doctor. Feeling tired alone does not already mean you have hypoglycemia, but that your body struggles to produce glucose fast enough.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, carbs are fine for anyone as long as they're not highly refined like white bread or white rice.. or cookies, lol. It's ridiculous that carbs are so maligned these days - they should be our primary source of calories. Whole wheat bread, oatmeal, and brown rice are healthy staples. If you eat a delicious and nutritious baked potato, just put a little butter on it. The fat slows the metabolic response.

As far as caffeine goes, a little in moderation should be fine. I couldn't function without coffee.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by girlygirl23 View Post
I have pre-diabetes and i've been told to stay away from sugar and put on medication.
Good reason to quit drinking. I think your body processes alcohol like a sugar, so you weren't staying away. Does your doctor know about your drinking?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Good reason to quit drinking. I think your body processes alcohol like a sugar, so you weren't staying away. Does your doctor know about your drinking?
Yes but every doctor I see downplays my past drinking even though I tell them it was excessive and I had withdrawls. They all tell me i'm young and couldn't have done that much damage. I think because I look healthy and i'm good shape they don't think it was very bad.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
zjw

I eat very low fat and very high carbohydrate all from whole foods fruits veggies beans etc.. all vegan. I used to have the shakey stuff going on as well when i quit but eating this way has resolved it for me. Oh sure sometimes it can still happen but its because i need some carbs is all.

I did do a low carb diet for a while initially and sure i lost weight and all and am thankful for that but i was dizzy and feeling unenergetic and such all the time.

and contrary to popular belief carbs dont make you fat. if htey did I'd be a house. I eat 5-6000 calories a day 90% carbohydrates on average rest protein and fats and i'm very lean and very fit.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pine View Post
It is a good tactic to stay away from sugars, including fruits and also non-sugar sweeteners in order to get rid of craving for - sugar (at least).

When it comes to other carbohydrates (starch), no serious diabetes website will tell you that low-carb diet is the only option. It is good to avoid quick carbohydrates: sugars and anything what is made of plain flour (pasta, white bread and other bakery) and, maybe white rice and potatoes. But whole-grain bread and other slow carbohydrates can be OK.

You do not need to eat sugar to have normal blood glucose levels. In fact you can eat zero carbohydrates and have normal blood glucose. But it helps if you eat some slow carbohydrates.

I personally can confirm that slow carbohydrates cause much less craving than fast carbohydrates.

Slow carbohydrates are basically those high in fiber. Here are examples of food high in fiber:
List of Foods High/Low in Fiber; Types, Health Benefits

(Try to not exaggerate with soluble fiber in order to avoid bloating).

If you get actual measurable hypoglycemia, see a doctor. Feeling tired alone does not already mean you have hypoglycemia, but that your body struggles to produce glucose fast enough.
This is excellent advice!