Notices

Medication to repair damage

Old 04-06-2016, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Medication to repair damage

Hi,
I'm 5 1/2 months sober and I've been doing a lot of research on alcoholism. I'm wondering if there are any meds that have been proven to help repair the damage alcohol has caused our brains. Specifically our GABA. I believe that this would helps with PAWs symptoms and a host of other problems we deal with in recovery.
Has anyone had any success with a medicine? I think acamprosate (campral)sounds promising.

Thanks!!
Old 04-06-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No, sorry there is no medication that will heal the damage caused by alcohol. BTW GABA is a neurotransmitter, and itself is not what is damaged.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I took a good multivitamin every day and still do. Drinking depletes the body of B vitamins.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Time, sobriety, exercise and heathy eating can help, there is no magic pill to cure the damage done though. I'd also highly recommend consulting with your doctor before taking any supplements.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was a very sick and damaged alcoholic. Just plain and simple complete total sobriety cured all of my health ailments and I had many.

Acid reflux
Irritable bowel syndrome
Brain fog ( I believe damage) I think this is now cured almost two years sober.
Confusion
Trembling hands
Red face
Red palms
Profuse sweating
Headaches (obviously) lol
"Liver pain"
Malaise
Depression

All gone. Totally gone. I take a multivitamin every day and try to drink lots of water. I wouldn't even call my diet particularly healthy.

Dr. would give my diet probably a B minus .
Old 04-09-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nope! I have asked this question of every professional I know and they all gave a resounding "No." I have been told it takes time and because brain cells take about two years to regenerate, well, it could take up to two years! Ugh!

I am coming to accept the process, but I continue my relentless research. There is a good psychiatrist turned holistic psychiatrist by the name of Kelly Brogan. She has some interesting things to say about the use of amino acids and different herbs to incite and the healing process. I am taking one of the amino's she talks about (as recommended by my psychiatrist) and it seems to help. If you like, I will message you other information I have found.

Another thing to look into is neuroplasticity. Best wishes!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have definitely had some medications to help me with long term damage from alcoholism. What ones for what symptoms will differ from person to person so you need to work with a doctor.

I kept trying to self medicate the tremors that were due to long term alcohol damage (not just detox). The doctor has worked with me to find medicine that helps relieve the long term effects of alcoholism that remain after sobriety. I have neuropathy and pancreatitis, etc. Sometimes these things get a bit better, but sometimes they don't and medication is required to assist in overcoming these things.

Stop drinking is the "first line of defense" and what we must do!

I think people want to think that quitting drinking is going to make things ok after time, but the truth is some damage is permanent and I must learn how to deal with that. If your abstinence is based on that all these health issues will disappear over time, well ... I think that is a mistake. Abstinence is about more than that and sometimes we have to accept the damage that can't be fixed and Abstinence is about not increasing damage and turning our thoughts to the things we can improve

I am 57 and have been in and out of sobriety since I was 28.

wish you well!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

if there were quick fixes that worked im sure theyd be all over this site.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

There is some specific guidance to address your question found in the book, "Beyond the Influence".
Old 04-09-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stillpooh19 View Post
Nope! I have asked this question of every professional I know and they all gave a resounding "No." I have been told it takes time and because brain cells take about two years to regenerate, well, it could take up to two years! Ugh!

I am coming to accept the process, but I continue my relentless research. There is a good psychiatrist turned holistic psychiatrist by the name of Kelly Brogan. She has some interesting things to say about the use of amino acids and different herbs to incite and the healing process. I am taking one of the amino's she talks about (as recommended by my psychiatrist) and it seems to help. If you like, I will message you other information I have found.

Another thing to look into is neuroplasticity. Best wishes!
Thanks Stillpooh! Will you please message me the info. I would like to read it.