Notices

Here I go again

Old 09-21-2004, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here I go again

Well i found this site by accident and thought i would share my feelings. I am a proffesional drunk ,I am 37 yrs old with a problem since the age of 15, my choice is any kind of alcohol but beer is the fav. I have 5 rehabs under my belt wit only a 2 yr stretch of being sober was my longest, did it for x-wife.I was just in my last rehab approx 4 months ago , you guessed it about 2 weeks ago i started drinking again everyday...Back right where i left it a couple of margaritas then up to a case of beer.. The vicious hangovers are crippiling me , have not been to work this week yet.I dont know why i am telling this but i just am i am scared and dont know what to do. Alcohol has taken so much from me and i believe i will die being a drunk, i just cant shake this stuff. :Flush:
Old 09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY PROLEMCHILD,WELCOME BACK.
YOU HAD TWO YEARS SOBER THAT YOU DID FOR YOUR WIFE,
IT WORKED THEN!
THIS TIME DO IT FOR YOURSELF.
YOUV'E BEEN TO MANY REHABS,I'M SURE YOU HAVE LOTS OF TOOLS TO HELP YOU ALONG.
THIS SITE IS A GREAT SUPPORT SYSTEM FOR ME,IT CAN BE FOR YOU ALSO.
GLAD YOUR HERE.........ted :rambo:
Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Problemchild. Never give up! You are worth it! We cannot really shake alcoholism. It lives with us everyday. Thats why I must do certain things on a daily basis: praying, AA meetings, contact with other alcoholics. We don't have to die from alcoholism. As Ted said - this time work a program of recovery for yourself. You have to really want it. Best of luck to you!
Old 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi problemchild!

I used to post here a couple years ago, and ended up relapsing, and forgetting about the board. This board was a little bug in my head though, and am now back hoping to stay clean forever. I think it is safe to say that everyone here realizes how tough the alcoholism bug is.

I, like a lot of the other members strongly recommend going to an AA meeting. I have not been to one myself, but when I got out of "Intensive outpatient" I lasted two-weeks before caving to the disease. There really is something magical about being around other people who suffer from the same thing you do, and that magic seemed to help mend my soul. Which is why I almost get excited at the thought of going to an AA meeting now, rather than merely being afraid of the unknown.

I hope you find your way.

Regards,
Larry
Old 09-21-2004, 11:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Welcome PC

Seems you have learned much and have proven much as well.
You can do it as the 2 years proved.
Pick up the first one and you can return to where you left off in no time.
Hangovers are not nice.
The problem starts with the first drink.

So what can be done about it?
Don't pick up the first drink.
Take hold of the situation one day at a time (or moment if need be)
I will not drink today. I will not pick up that first beer today.
Deal with things a day at a time.
AA meetings will give you much info and support to guide you on the way to remaining sober...one day at a time.
As was said... you did it for the wife.... now do it for you.
You can do it. As you have proven by the 2 years.
Help and support is all around so you don't need to do it alone.
Old 09-22-2004, 02:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

problemchild,

You can do it and all you have to do is want it enough to make it your top priority each and every day. I really do look forward to going to my A.A. meetings because they keep me focused and because for that one hour while I am there, I don't have to think about anything else. I did not always feel this way and I had a list of reasons why the A.A/N.A. programs were not for me. I went anyway, not willingly but grudgingly because it was a requirement of my treatment program. I was always on the lookout for things that would confirm my worst suspicions about A.A/N.A and when I would find one, I'd say to myself, "Ah Ha! See, I told you." Today, I believe that was my disease and my ego (the evil team) working under the surface to destroy my recovery. Either that or, as my father seems to believe, A.A really IS a cult and I have been assimulated into the collective. Except that so far no one has told me what brand of tennis shoe to wear, and we are still drinking coffee not kool-aid. Bottom line though, I am just plain happier today than I ever was during my 25 years of drinking.

There are many paths over the mountain, find yours and stick to it.

Jah Bless.
Old 09-22-2004, 04:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi problemchild,
First off...do it for you,and you only! Sometimes it's hard to focus in on just us,but there comes a point when it is what we need!
You need this! You can do it! Hang in there,and take today and only today,and dont drink!!!
Old 09-22-2004, 01:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Cunning, baffling and powerful. That's what the book says.

After two years of not drinking I think I'd be thinking that maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought and now that I've been sober for a while I can control the booze. See, that's the insanity of the whole thing. That's why the disease is called ALCOHOLISM....not ALCOHOLWASM. The stinking thinking is always a present threat. That's why after almost 28 years, I still go to meetings, sponsor guys, have a sponsor and try the best I can to put into practice each day, what AA has taught me. I can never let up and rest on my laurels. I can never get the idea that I'm well enough now to try it again. I had to quit for me, nobody else. If I quit for my wife and she dies, leaves for some reason or whatever, I've lost my reason for not drinking. I had to hurt enough to consider that maybe not drinking was a good idea. You said you may die being a drink. You just may be right. I hope not.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Problemchild I can relate to what you are saying I am walking in your shoes and can feel your pain but we need to remember that we can conquer if we work our program which I am going to do this time tired of feeling like a loser.
well hang in there and do what you need to do to keep sober.