Notices

The withdrawals always get worse, no exceptions?

Old 04-09-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
For me, it definitely got worse with age. Before, I'd be cranky and crave sugar for a day or two, and then I'd feel great. Too great...must not have a real problem, right? so after weeks or months or even five years at one point...hey, let's have a glass of wine.

This time, despite the fact that I had been drinking far less for several months prior to quitting and had been dry for several months prior to that...I was a mess. Day 4 I barely moved off the couch. I walked around in a fog for weeks, never felt rested, and had zero energy. Oh and that happy pink cloud place failed to show up this time. All this on 3-4 glasses of wine every evening.

The good news is that I'm pretty much terrified of what it might be like the next time...today is day 97 and I'm not looking back.
Thanks for posting this Ariesagain.. at 2.5 years one sometimes mulls these things over, lol. My pattern was a lot like yours so this is an excellent reminder.
Old 04-10-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shauninspain View Post
I completely agree, the withdrawals got progressively worse as time progressed for me too. I'm just glad that handguns were banned in the UK or I'd have put myself out of my misery.
I know, right?!

My last few withdrawals have made it painfully obvious to me that I can never drink again.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
It's called "kindling."

Check this out...

https://www.hivehealthmedia.com/on-t...-of-addiction/
Thanks for this information. I just relapsed 2 weeks ago and thought I was gonna die. Felt like my kidneys were on fire. It was not always like that, when I was younger.
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention this in my original post but other people have already confirmed it. It's not just the length of my withdrawals that has gotten worse, but also the severity of the symptoms.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'll add my 2 cents. . . yep, worse each time. I felt like a flat zombie with no joy and occasional frustration at not being able to feel much but "blah" for a while. Joy does flow back. So does motivation, energy, real happiness.

AND. . . I vow never to test it ever again. I'd rather die than go thru that or put my family thru any of that again. Protecting my sobriety is my #1 priority daily, and SR is a huge part of that.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Jack465, I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. Alcohol hadn't really destroyed my life, I didn't have any legal problems, I ran a business, my marriage was intact etc...it was the withdrawal process. The fear of going through withdrawal (knowing it only gets worse) has been a major motivator for me. It absolutely took all the "fun" out of it.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

General question: is it that you tend to drink more each time you relapse, hence the worsening of the withdrawal symptoms? I've always read that it's a progressive "disease" but I drank the same amount for years until I quit. My withdrawal wasn't that bad, more emotional (anxiety) than physical. I really feel for those going through horrible physical withdrawal symptoms.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by uncorked View Post
General question: is it that you tend to drink more each time you relapse, hence the worsening of the withdrawal symptoms? I've always read that it's a progressive "disease" but I drank the same amount for years until I quit. My withdrawal wasn't that bad, more emotional (anxiety) than physical. I really feel for those going through horrible physical withdrawal symptoms.
In the end I was actually drinking much less than I used to, and my withdrawals kept getting worse. I think cutting down had no effect because the damage was already done. The only solution was to stop completely.