Notices

Big Life Changes Support Group

Old 07-03-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

Received my first check from the new job yesterday, It's quite an incentive to keep going. I signed up for direct deposit so no more paper checks after this.

I'm taking today and tomorrow 'off' as far as studying proofreading stuff and gardening. I'll water my plants, but that's all I'll do. I need a real break for a day or two. It's been nice today. I haven't done any work at all.

Starting Tuesday I'll be filling in for the regular carrier for five days straight, to give her a vacation. It'll be a challenge for me. I'll probably improve a lot over the course of the week. I hope so, anyway. I'm still forgetting several things due to the immediate stress of the job. I hope to pull it all together soon. It's been tough.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 462 (permalink)  

You are doing so well Jennie love. You are always an inspiration to me. I see you pushing forward regardless of any challenges that try to get in your way, and your courage reminds me to do the same.

It is very empowering to be strong, but that doesn't make it easy. But we can do it...and we are.

Now that Venus is at peace, and safe, I need to concentrate on me.
My course...the one I have neglected for months: proofreading and editing. Back to it tomorrow. And back to walking.
And then I will enrol to re-qualify in aged care, and go back to work. I can do shift work now. I couldn't leave Venus overnight ~ I never ever did in 13 and a a half years. But before that, I am going away....I'm coming to America. September & October....how wonderful it would be if I could meet you. And fantail...I am working it all out. I went from idea to decision to planning stage in 24 hours. This is good for me. I am incredibly excited.

lunar ~ I love your photos! I felt like I could dive straight into that pool. How lovely.

Suze ♥
Old 07-04-2016, 01:50 AM
  # 463 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome SP you are amazing
Old 07-04-2016, 08:11 AM
  # 464 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jennie, taking a couple of days off to relax and do nothing sounds like a great idea. You have been pushing yourself a lot and a break will do you good.

Venus, your plans to come to America sound wonderful. What areas will you be visiting?
Old 07-04-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 465 (permalink)  

Oh, wow, Suze!! That is exciting. We can certainly find a time to meet up when you're here. It most likely won't be on a Saturday, however. That is my workday of the week. September and October will still be quite hot here in Alabama, but the temps do begin to drop then. Hopefully it won't be quite so hot here if you make it down (er, up?). We can meet up here in my town or in Birmingham which is an hour away. There's a nice art museum there, and a great little independent bookstore I haven't been to in ages! I think you would like both. There's also the botanical gardens. I could show you all three.

My town is a little less exciting, but we do have the downtown Riverwalk area, the amphitheatre, and a few odd museums that I've never bothered to visit.

My house, please keep in mind, is still a work in progress. Lol. There are still clutter piles lying around (all his!!), and I haven't put in the flooring yet (still saving for it). I'd love to have all that done by the time you arrive, but not sure if I'll get to it or not.

I am so happy that you now have time for YOU!!! That is going to be wonderful.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 466 (permalink)  

You were a dedicated, wonderful cat mom, no doubt.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:36 AM
  # 467 (permalink)  

Suze ... was going to mention it yesterday ... my six-month milestone for surgery is coming up on the 12th. It's been nearly six months! Half a year. Hard to believe! I have a lot of the feeling back in my chin and lower lip, but there's still some pins-and-needles feeling on the right side. The right side was the side that was shifted a little due to the asymmetry. Just barely though, like maybe 1-2 mm to the right. It's weird how it's always lagged behind the left side. Anyway, I am still hoping for feeling to return. But what I've come to realize is that I could live with this if I had to. It's not bad at all. It's just a little odd. I am 100% satisfied with the surgery and happy I did it. I wish I'd done it ten years ago!
Old 07-04-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 468 (permalink)  
now's the time

Of course you're welcome in Atlanta too, S.

J, glad you're taking a break!

Lunar, gorgeous vacation spot.

I'm moving into my apartment today.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 469 (permalink)  

We're going to put in the kayaks at the downtown location this evening. We'll enjoy the symphony orchestra followed by the 4th of July fireworks show, while paddling around in the river, with dogs on board. We did this last year, and the year before. Hmm, I think we started this back in 2011, maybe, the year we married. We skipped a year or two, but have been attending ever since.

The beagles aren't bothered by the fireworks. They seem to understand it won't hurt them.

This will be my first trip in my new lilac colored kayak, lol. Brian has been trying to get me into the water with it for weeks now.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 470 (permalink)  

Fantail, so you're in Atlanta? I lived there for a year back in 2003! I was studying vocal music there.

I have a favorite Turkish restaurant there, btw. Wow, dunno if I can actually remember where it was located, come to think of it. It's been a while.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:51 AM
  # 471 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fantail View Post
I'm moving into my apartment today.
Exciting!!

I'll bet you're ready.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:00 AM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Old 07-04-2016, 09:30 AM
  # 473 (permalink)  

Soberwolf posted this today on another thread. This is the most motivating, inspiring short video I've ever seen or heard. It's not full of fluff. It's real. He is spot on.

Here is the sound recording on Soundcloud. You can download the mp3 version to listen to over and over.

https://soundcloud.com/epsilon-yt/through-hell
Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 AM
  # 474 (permalink)  

Hello a Everyone,

I just spent time reading through this entire thread. Jennie, thanks for starting it!!!!

Venus, so sorry about your cat, I k ow how difficult that is. I am excited for you that you will be traveling, it sounds long ovedue!

Fantail, you have made so many positive changes I your life this past year. I am glad you love your new job, home, and that you are making friends and settling in so well. Enjoy getting settled into your new apartment this weekend!

Anna, your home sounds wonderful, have you moved in yet? There is a children's book called Miss Rumphius and it is about a woman who does good things her whole like, and wants to live by the sea. I tell my children that is going to be me when I retire, sooner if possible!

Jennie, you are incredible, home projects, school, new job, paying off debt, and following your dreams. You have inspired me!!!

I am going to jump in on this thread. I have just over six months sober, which is my longest other than when I was pregnant with my kids. I have been working on paying off my debt, and also eating healthy and exercising. These are the things I plan to continue. Most of my debt should be paid off in about four-five years, not counting my mortgage! That will be just in time to start paying for college for my kids.

I love this thread, and I plan on checking in regularly. Hope everyone has a Happy Fourth!

❤️ Delilah
Old 07-04-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  

Delilah, welcome aboard! Glad to have you.

So you're paying off debt too, awesome. It's tough sometimes, isn't it? Gets to be a slog.

Your goals of paying for your children's' education and living by the ocean are wonderful. It would be lovely to live by the sea. I'm always torn between a cabin surrounded by woods or a cabin by the sea. Both seem ideal.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:15 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  

I said I wasn't going to do any yard work today ... but I did. Couldn't help myself, lol. I dug holes and placed six blue Russian sage plants in the backyard, along the fence in the sunniest area. It will eventually look something like this.

I measured and placed them, and then dug a shallow hole, and set them down inside. I told my husband, with sweat pouring down my face and into eyes, to finish the holes tomorrow morning.

I won't count on his help, but it would be nice. He surprises me sometimes.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 477 (permalink)  

Oh, what joy. Congrats darling fantail....can't wait to see pictures once you settle in. And yes love, I am definitely coming to Atlanta. I have close friends there I am dying to see....well, looks like I have more close friends there.

And oh Jennie, yes, that sounds wonderful. I cannot wait to meet you.

As for where I'm going, looks like a lot of places. I have never been this impulsive before Anna ~ but once the decision was made, it just felt so right. I have plenty of time, no itinerary yet. I'm thinking along the lines of: New York, possibly Canada to see Ann, Ohio, Nashville, Atlanta, Alabama to see Jennie and across to California.

There is a chance that My Oct14 class thread buddies and I will meet on the east coast...it's all just so exciting.

Delilah ~ awesome to see you here love. Congratulations again on your 6 months. So very happy for you.
Old 07-04-2016, 05:54 PM
  # 478 (permalink)  

Six months since the surgery Jennie love. Wow. I am so glad you continue to be happy with your decision. And yes, I'm sure in time those pins and needles will continue to subside.

It's really been an incredible journey. So proud of you, and always inspired.

Sounds like digging those holes is pretty challenging, and maybe a little fun?
Hoping B finishes then off for you.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:17 PM
  # 479 (permalink)  
Administrator

Suze, your plans to visit America sound fantastic and fun. It sounds like you have an ambitious plan and I'm sure you will meet lots of SR friends.

Delilah, I'm glad you jumped in. Good job in working on paying down your debt and getting it done with. It's hard work, but will be worth it.

Fantail, I'm excited for you moving into your apartment. You inspire me with your bravery to move to a new place and find your home.

Jennie, six months since the surgery and things are good. You have grown and moved forward in your life so much. It's as if the surgery gave you the motivation to change your life.

Our reno is going along pretty well. We won't be moving in until the end of August so there is still time, I hope, to get things finished. I have to admit we had two breaks. We spent a week in California in May and I just returned today from a week in the west coast of Canada to visit my son, daughter in law and my three grandchildren there. It's been awesome! Now, back to reno.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:23 PM
  # 480 (permalink)  
now's the time

In what I have been lead to believe is the norm, I'm sitting on the floor in my new apartment eating take out off of a low card table. I can feel a lot of feelings swirling around... mostly good, some anxious, some a bit lonely. But I'm not focusing on them too much. I know this is going to be a good place for me.

Jennie, yes, Atlanta! I love Turkish food, I wonder if it's still here? I'll have to go hunting.

S, wonderful, then I'll see you here! How strange it will be to meet an SR person in real life. This has been my anonymous place for three years now. But very excited about it! I'm so happy for you that you're taking this trip. I know that when I've traveled after loss it's always lead to wonderful things.

Delilah, thanks and welcome to the thread! I need to start getting my fiscal life in shape too. And my physical life (har har har).